Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Belbin and Agosto have withdrawn

Custom Title

Belbin and Agosto have withdrawn

BELBIN AND AGOSTO WITHDRAW FROM 2009 GRAND PRIX FINAL

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (Nov. 24, 2009) – Five-time U.S. ice dancing champions Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto announced today they will not compete at the 2009 International Skating Union (ISU) Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in Tokyo, Japan, Dec. 3-6, due to illness.

Belbin has been suffering from an infected wisdom tooth that required immediate oral surgery to avoid medical complications. Her oral surgeon advised her to avoid strenuous activity for at least one week following the surgery.

“Tanith had been attempting to control the infection with antibiotics, but, unfortunately, surgery became necessary in order to prevent more serious problems,” Agosto said. “The surgery was completed today, and it will be about a week before she can return to full training."

Belbin and Agosto said they are confident that they will be ready to compete at the 2010 AT&T U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Jan. 14-24, in Spokane , Wash.

"Tanith and I are very disappointed that we won't be able to compete at the Grand Prix Final,” said Agosto. “As soon as Tanith is ready, we’ll be back on the ice and training for U.S. Championships in January.”

Belbin and Agosto are four-time World medalists, winning silver in 2005 and 2009, and bronze in 2006-07. They also won silver at the 2006 Olympic Winter Games in Torino , Italy . The team trains in Aston , Pa. , under the direction of former Olympic champions Natalia Linichuk and Gennadi Karponosov.

Tripping on the Podium
    nooo, this is sad but I hope she is ok

She said something about this on her twitter some days ago.

Tripping on the Podium Narumi1997's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Atena View Post
    nooo, this is sad but I hope she is ok

She said something about this on her twitter some days ago.
    This is what Tanith said on twitter
    "I'm a little uncomfortable w/ my dentist's choice of the term "ticking time bomb" to describe my wisdom teeth.I live on the edge."

:o It has started. That's only the beginning....

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    I hope she feels better, I was really looking forward to them competing here. More time to prepare for Nationals though

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    I too hope Tanith feels better if not already then asap.

I hope B&A are back in shape by US Nats. I'd love to see D&W beating healthy rivals, not poor sick people who can't skate to their full potential because of the health issues.

Darn I was looking forward to my favorites B/A blowing the competition way. (I can dream can't I). Hope Tanith is feeling better soon. Who is the first alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Darn I was looking forward to my favorites B/A blowing the competition way. (I can dream can't I). Hope Tanith is feeling better soon. Who is the first alternative?
    The Russians with the horrific costumes...

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Oh no! How awful!

Custom Title
    I find the timing of the tooth most interesting. It's been suspected they would withdraw from GP Final for strategy reasons. Whatever. Regardless of reason, we are now stuck with K/N.

Custom Title
    *sigh* I was hoping to see their lovely FD again, too!

Good luck to Tanith and Ben, and hopefully we'll be able to see them at full strength at US Nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    I find the timing of the tooth most interesting. It's been suspected they would withdraw from GP Final for strategy reasons. Whatever. Regardless of reason, we are now stuck with K/N.
    Well, it is a good strategy - why take a chance on losing, especially to DW, before Nationals?

Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Well, it is a good strategy - why take a chance on losing, especially to DW, before Nationals?
    I don't see why that would be a good strategy. Wouldn't it be just as good a strategy to trounce Davis and White just before Nationals?

On the other hand, if Belbin and Agosto do not feel confident that they can beat Davis and White in December, will they feel any more confident in January?

But -- yeah -- the timing. According to Philip Hersh we cannot raise questions about athletes' injuries. Still, I wonder if they would have withdrawn from the Olympics if Tanith developed dental problems two weeks before? Or would they have managed somehow to push through?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't see why that would be a good strategy. Wouldn't it be just as good a strategy to trounce Davis and White just before Nationals?

They couldn't be sure they could "trounce" DW at the Final, especially after their not so great scores at the GP and that could impact their chances of winning back their national title.

On the other hand, if Belbin and Agosto do not feel confident that they can beat Davis and White in December, will they feel any more confident in January?

They are assuming VM will win, which would give them better than even chances of getting their national title back.

But -- yeah -- the timing. According to Philip Hersh we cannot raise questions about athletes' injuries. Still, I wonder if they would have withdrawn from the Olympics if Tanith developed dental problems two weeks before? Or would they have managed somehow to push through?
    I admit to being cynical about this "emergency dental surgery." Impacted wisdom teeth do not just "happen" overnight and should have been removed in the off season to avoid just such a problem.

On cloud nine and refusing to come down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

It cuts both ways Mathman. If B/A placed lower than D/W, that might hurt them going into nationals. I know you can't compare scores across competitions but B/A has been consistently scoring lower than V/M and D/W twice. Not a very good sign.

Whatever, I'll believe what they say about her wisdom tooth (It hurts like a b****) and just wish them well for the rest of the season. US Nationals is going to be absolutely killer this year; both D/W and B/A must go since they decided not to grant medical byes anymore (correct me if I'm wrong).

Dang, and I thought we would live to see the day there are no Russians in the Dance GPF. I really hope K/N have changed their costumes and stepped up their programmes.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast