Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Belbin and Agosto have withdrawn

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    I admit to being cynical about this "emergency dental surgery." Impacted wisdom teeth do not just "happen" overnight and should have been removed in the off season to avoid just such a problem.
    The term was "infected" not impacted. There's a difference and infection can happen quickly. IIRC it did say she'd been trying to control it with antibiotics without success. Been there done that myself - and those who say it hurts like b***h are spot on!

I don't think strategy has anything to do with it. After all, those three teams trained together for years. The GPF would've been a great place for all of them to test their relative skills and placement so each would know better what they have to concentrate on for February. I'm quite sure as competitors they'd rather know now than find out in Vancouver.

This news is a bummer, but I wish Tanith a complete & speedy recovery. I was so looking forward to seeing them compete in the GPF, but it's important to take care of this now. Better that it happened at this point then at US Nationals & Vancouver. .

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    LOL, a tooth.

Right.

looks like the young Canadians will get to go

I have to admit the Ice Dance competition has lost its steam for me. It has become somewhat predictable now that B/A are not in the mix. Gold and Silver to D/W and V/M any order. Thank goodness for the men and pairs.

On cloud nine and refusing to come down!
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    I have to admit the Ice Dance competition has lost its steam for me. It has become somewhat predictable now that B/A are not in the mix. Gold and Silver to D/W and V/M any order. Thank goodness for the men and pairs.
    We'll still get to see D/W and V/M duke it out. I really have no idea who will win. I'm guessing P/B will be on the podium since K/N aren't going. I'd rather see C/L or Kerrs though.

Men's is nuts. Any one of them could win, except maybe Johnny. Pairs ... I expect S/S and S/Z to fight for 1, 2. P/T could be spoilers if the top two make mistakes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dancemaster View Post
    looks like the young Canadians will get to go
    Khokhlova and Novitki are the first alternate, not the canadians

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Khokhlova and Novitki are the first alternate, not the canadians
    it seems Russian have also withdrawn, so canadians will get to go... More on this in the thread Who's In the Grand Prix Final - Dance.
    Last edited by life684; 11-25-2009 at 08:58 AM.

This is why I think B&A, and all the other teams that pull out with phony excuses, are in the wrong.

When you sign up for the Grand Prix you enter into a contract. The ISU supplies prize money, infrastructure, and a chance for you to strut your stuff. The skater, in return, contracts to do certain things. One of them is to skate in the final if they make it.

Obviously if you break your leg then, through no fault of your own, you are unable to fulfill your promise. Likewise if you have a lingering injury that will be aggravated if you return to competition too soon.

But in Tanith's case the dental surgery was yesterday, she will be off the ice for a few days in recovery, and the reason that they do not want to skate is that they will not be fully prepared to skate their best.

Best, worst or in between, if you can skate you have an obligation to show up and give it your all. True, maybe you will end up in fifth place because your training time was compromised. That's not the point. The point is, you gave your word that you would skate if at all possible, and you didn't keep your word.

As someone who has had an infected wisdom tooth and later had them removed I sympathize with Tanith. If she has an infected one they are most likely going to pull all of them at the same time. That's what happened to me and I was laid up for a week - and really didn't feel back to normal for about two weeks. It really can be one of the most painful and uncomfortable things ever.

Of course, if this was the Olympics and she would have powered through. Patrick Chan would have skated with his torn muscle and Sasha would have skated with her tenditinits. Athletes would do anything to skate at the Games - just look at Stojko skating on pretty much one leg in Nagano.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    As someone who has had an infected wisdom tooth and later had them removed I sympathize with Tanith. If she has an infected one they are most likely going to pull all of them at the same time. That's what happened to me and I was laid up for a week - and really didn't feel back to normal for about two weeks. It really can be one of the most painful and uncomfortable things ever.

Of course, if this was the Olympics and she would have powered through. Patrick Chan would have skated with his torn muscle and Sasha would have skated with her tenditinits. Athletes would do anything to skate at the Games - just look at Stojko skating on pretty much one leg in Nagano.
    Right. I just came across this thread, and I'm slightly taken aback by how bitter some of you are being! Getting wisdom teeth removed WITHOUT an infection results in not being up to 100% in terms of general well-being (and skating at this level requires a lot more than just general well-being, so I'd be impressed if Tanith even gets on the ice before GPF). Given the infection, I'm sure it'll be a lot worse.

Come on, guys. If we really are fans, let's have a bit more empathy here.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Gotta admit this is interesting timing. I don't know if you all read Aunt Joyce's blog, but he predicted on Monday that Belgosto would withdraw from the GPF. He also says it's likely Evan will withdraw. We'll see if he's right about that one.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    Right. I just came across this thread, and I'm slightly taken aback by how bitter some of you are being! Getting wisdom teeth removed WITHOUT an infection results in not being up to 100% in terms of general well-being (and skating at this level requires a lot more than just general well-being, so I'd be impressed if Tanith even gets on the ice before GPF). Given the infection, I'm sure it'll be a lot worse.

Come on, guys. If we really are fans, let's have a bit more empathy here.
    Well said!!

Not singling anyone out especially, but just competitive skaters in general: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Ahhhh, Abbott just tweeted two hours ago that he feels terrible (as in sick). I smell the next withdraw.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast