Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 102

Thread: Belbin and Agosto have withdrawn

  1. #61
    Lambiel is the best!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    I admit to being cynical about this "emergency dental surgery." Impacted wisdom teeth do not just "happen" overnight and should have been removed in the off season to avoid just such a problem.
    I don't know how long she's been aware of her dental condition, but in my case, one of my wisdom teeth was lodged well inside my mouth and was not visible at all.

    I didn't know about its existence or the complications it might cause until last year.
    Fortunately I went under the knife before it started hurting, but according to my dentist, it was a matter of time.

    So I can see how she could not have known it sooner or not taken it seriously enough.

    Whatever the case, I wish them the best.

    This kind of blows!
    Joubert and B/A all out?

  2. #62
    Lambiel is the best!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    In fact, I remember the next day was Thanksgiving, and I participated in the strenuous activity of overeating. Om nom nom nom.

    That's simply amazing.

  3. #63
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Someone said that it was unlikely that the American national silver medalists would get on the Olympic podium. In normal years this might be true, but this year, there are two dominant American international teams and not much going on in Russia. There is indeed a possibility that two American couples might make it onto the podium, it seems to me. Why not? The Soviets used to do that all the time. Off the top of my head (please correct me if I'm wrong), I can recall 1976, two Soviet couples followed by the Americans O'Connor/Millns. 1980, two Soviet couples sandwiching the Hungarian couple Racoszy/Sallay (who became that year's world champions). 1984, Torvill/Dean leading two Soviet couples. 1988, two Soviet couples plus the Canadians Wilson/McCall. 1992, two Russian couples plus the Duchesnays. 1994, two Russian couples plus the returning pros Torvill and Dean. 1998, two Russian couples plus Anissina/Peizerat. 2002 and 2006 (had to look these up) had winners from three different countries, but in 2006 the third couple was from Ukraine, so two former Soviet countries were on the podium.

    So why not two couples from one country? I'm just asking.
    I have no doubt in my mind that B/A and D/W could medal in these Olympics. In MHO it's just going to come down to which color they are going to get.

  4. #64
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I have no doubt in my mind that B/A and D/W could medal in these Olympics. In MHO it's just going to come down to which color they are going to get.
    I guess we can't ignore other talents, D/S and D/S. We haven't seen them skate this season due to their physical conditions. Both were World champions, none of the Americans have World title yet. If these two teams come back strong, the Americans will have slim chance to be on the podium, particularly the weaker team, B/A.

  5. #65
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by samba View Post
    I guess we can't ignore other talents, D/S and D/S. We haven't seen them skate this season due to their physical conditions. Both were World champions, none of the Americans have World title yet. If these two teams come back strong, the Americans will have slim chance to be on the podium, particularly the weaker team, B/A.
    Knowing the way Dance competitions turn out the podium has already been decided. Atleast that's the way it always worked in the past, including 2009 Worlds.

    Why would it be any different in Japan or Vancouver?

    If the three N. American teams skate the best in Vancouver there is no way they will sweep the podium. There is still a certain group of officials/judges that would make sure ot it.
    Last edited by janetfan; 11-27-2009 at 12:07 PM.

  6. #66
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,640
    I don't really get the strategy that Belbin and Agosto should pull out of the Grand Prix final because they are afraid to skate against Davis and White. Will they be less afraid in January than in December?

  7. #67
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't really get the strategy that Belbin and Agosto should pull out of the Grand Prix final because they are afraid to skate against Davis and White. Will they be less afraid in January than in December?
    What about the strategy for Tanith not to be sick and less than her best at Nationals or for Vancouver.

    I hope some won't consider that playing dirty

  8. #68
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    521
    We don't know if D/S x 2 will be 100% by the time the Olympics roll around. If they are, I think D/W would have a hard time beating them if they all skated perfectly. I think V/M are definitely competitive with D/S x 2, and B/A have been in the past. I don't think D/W are quite there yet, despite their huge scores so far this year.

  9. #69
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Someone said that it was unlikely that the American national silver medalists would get on the Olympic podium. In normal years this might be true, but this year, there are two dominant American international teams and not much going on in Russia. There is indeed a possibility that two American couples might make it onto the podium, it seems to me. Why not? The Soviets used to do that all the time. Off the top of my head (please correct me if I'm wrong), I can recall 1976, two Soviet couples followed by the Americans O'Connor/Millns. 1980, two Soviet couples sandwiching the Hungarian couple Racoszy/Sallay (who became that year's world champions). 1984, Torvill/Dean leading two Soviet couples. 1988, two Soviet couples plus the Canadians Wilson/McCall. 1992, two Russian couples plus the Duchesnays. 1994, two Russian couples plus the returning pros Torvill and Dean. 1998, two Russian couples plus Anissina/Peizerat. 2002 and 2006 (had to look these up) had winners from three different countries, but in 2006 the third couple was from Ukraine, so two former Soviet countries were on the podium.

    So why not two couples from one country? I'm just asking.

    I think another reason people doubt it will happen (among those who think politiks will rule), is that there is also a 3rd strong North American team (Canadian), and they will be competing at home to boot. So if 2 American teams on the podium seems a stretch, an all North-American podium seems an even further stretch, for those who are convinced politiks will influence the outcome. The 2nd-ranked American team is easiest to sacrifice.
    This will be very intriguing to follow though, with the top 2 European contenders M.I.A. so far, and the 3rd skating like crap (K/N). The 3 North-American teams may well prove podium-worthy. Could be historic for the sport.

  10. #70
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by samba View Post
    I guess we can't ignore other talents, D/S and D/S. We haven't seen them skate this season due to their physical conditions. Both were World champions, none of the Americans have World title yet. If these two teams come back strong, the Americans will have slim chance to be on the podium, particularly the weaker team, B/A.
    I disagree, I don't think Dom and Shabs are all that great to begin with, and as for D/S, they haven't really had that great amount of training since she had the baby(and having 4 kids myself not all that easy to bounce back from) Most teams have adjusted their programs by this point for improvements. And I think we all know just because your the world champ or were doesn't mean your going to win the Olympics. I think all three N American teams have a great possibility of claiming all three medals.

  11. #71
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't really get the strategy that Belbin and Agosto should pull out of the Grand Prix final because they are afraid to skate against Davis and White. Will they be less afraid in January than in December?
    Belbin & Agosto don't want to lose to anyone before Nationals but certainly not to Davis & White because they need to win the national title if they hope to win gold in Vancouver. At the GPF there is no CD, which most consider to be Davis and White's weakest area. Of course, they could beat them at the GPF, but you saw how angry Belbin was after the FD scores came up. All is not well. They know they have some problems, so why take the chance? They have a better chance at Nationals because there will be a CD and they could build up a lead that Davis & White can't overcome with a stronger OD or FD. It will really be exciting to watch. I'll be there in Spokane.

  12. #72
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,640
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Belbin & Agosto don't want to lose to anyone before Nationals but certainly not to Davis & White because they need to win the national title if they hope to win gold in Vancouver. At the GPF there is no CD, which most consider to be Davis and White's weakest area...
    So my question is, which is it? Is Tanith inable to compete because of her tooth infection, or do they want to avoid facing Davis and White in an event with no CD?

    I'll be there in Spokane.
    Me, too!

  13. #73
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,990
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Belbin & Agosto don't want to lose to anyone before Nationals but certainly not to Davis & White because they need to win the national title if they hope to win gold in Vancouver.
    Right. maybe Tanith will not be ready by Nationals and so they will make the olympic team on a medical bye without having to suffer the "humiliation" of being beaten by their former training mates. This way they enter the Olympics as equals (more or less) and the whole winter of training behind them.

  14. #74
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,171
    OK for the sake of argument lets say Tanith needed the oral surgery at some point soon because of the infected wisdom tooth but not immediately. I believe that Tanith had to have the surgery sooner than later. When was she supposed to schedule this surgery? Before Nationals, before Vancouver or before GPF. Their best option would be to pull out of GPF have the surgery done and over with and not run the risk of having to pull out of the 2 big events. I think people are reading way to much into this withdrawal. I just find it hard to believe that B/A's team would say ouch you did not score as high as the other teams lets have Tanith's Wisdom Teeth extracted, use that as an excuse to withdraw, so B/A can have more training time and make up the 6 or 7 poiints. It just does not make sense to me. JMO
    Last edited by demarinis5; 11-28-2009 at 08:09 AM.

  15. #75
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    So my question is, which is it? Is Tanith inable to compete because of her tooth infection, or do they want to avoid facing Davis and White in an event with no CD?



    Me, too!
    Probably both. I just think the timing is suspicious. What really matters is Nationals. All the other top contenders for the podium will have won their Nationals or are assumed to be the number #1 team from their country if for whatever reason they don't compete.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •