Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Belbin and Agosto have withdrawn

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Right. maybe Tanith will not be ready by Nationals and so they will make the olympic team on a medical bye without having to suffer the "humiliation" of being beaten by their former training mates. This way they enter the Olympics as equals (more or less) and the whole winter of training behind them.
    I certainly hope they don't skip Nationals. I can't imagine this tooth extraction problem would linger for 7 weeks. I do wantTanith to be well enough to compete in Spokane.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I disagree, I don't think Dom and Shabs are all that great to begin with, and as for D/S, they haven't really had that great amount of training since she had the baby(and having 4 kids myself not all that easy to bounce back from) Most teams have adjusted their programs by this point for improvements. And I think we all know just because your the world champ or were doesn't mean your going to win the Olympics. I think all three N American teams have a great possibility of claiming all three medals.

Both D/S will score very high score in CD and will be in the lead after this segment. As for B/A have improved in this department, it leaves DW and VM outside the top 3 when it comes to CD.

As for OD, the Shilpband group will dance to all dances in lovely dovely manner even if the vocals suggest something else. it leaves the question whether they understand these dances or the music itself.I hope they will be penalised for lack of understanding of the music, especially DW.

As for D/S, their real problem at the worlds was spins. with spins being an non compulsory element for OD, they can score very well in this segment... I hope D/S original dance will not adopt the short cut method like others, and will be authentic to Aborigine dance...

Then again we know if any north american skate clean and doesn't win the gold, some people will start Wuzrobbed discussion.
    Last edited by life684; 11-28-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Custom Title
    1. Of course, one might argue that your instant denigration of such a possibility indicates that your response should your presumption not come forth would be as knee-jerk and biased as the ones you criticize.

2. Do you really think V/M's OD is lovey-dovey? I don't think they're entirely successful in conveying the flamenco attitude, but lovey-dovey certainly doesn't describe it either. If that's lovey-dovey to you, I'd hate to see what is cold and restrained to you.

3. I do think D/W are benefiting from the fact that not too many Indian folk dances have been performed - also, having no idea how far kathak is from actual Indian folk (wikipedia indicates that it definitely has folk influences, but how accurate that is I can't vouch for). I don't think either of the Shpilband teams lacks "understanding of the music."

4. Is it likely that DelShos and DomShabs are gonna be ready? DelShos more likely, but I really do wonder about the Russians. Doesn't he have a form of arthritis that's really affecting his knees? They weren't fully healthy last year and won, true, but they beat two teams who weren't up to snuff either (and one can definitely argue about the validity of their win, of course, as they seemed to get points they didn't earn - that spin in the OD as an example) - a FD with the top four teams only one point difference certainly reminds us that it wasn't a dominant victory. I would be very impressed if they deserved to win (or disappointed, as it could indicate an underwhelming night of skating), but I wonder if they'll even be there and how trained they will be? Of course, I have three podiums that I'd like and they're not on any of them, so it's not like I'm impartial here.

Custom Title
    Both D/S will score very high score in CD and will be in the lead after this segment. As for B/A have improved in this department, it leaves DW and VM outside the top 3 when it comes to CD.
    In your world., where this happens.

In your world also, where D/W and V/M's skates are all lovey dovey, no matter how they're actually skating. Sexy - maybe. Lovey dovey, no.

Custom Title
    After the CD at the Olympics only 4 teams will get to skate in the final group of the OD, more than likely the medalist will come from this group. So, which team will be left behind???

Quote Originally Posted by Narumi1997 View Post
    This is what Tanith said on twitter
    "I'm a little uncomfortable w/ my dentist's choice of the term "ticking time bomb" to describe my wisdom teeth.I live on the edge."
    sounds like we go to the same dentist I get to have my share of oral surgery in the next month. when a dentist says jump you can't back out or they just keep after you.

[QUOTE=Bruin714;435398]After the CD at the Olympics only 4 teams will get to skate in the final group of the OD, more than likely the medalist will come from this group. So, which team will be left behind???[/QUOTE]

I haven't a clue but what I do know is that this board will be exploding with
    opinions. Can't wait.

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=demarinis5;435403]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruin714 View Post
    After the CD at the Olympics only 4 teams will get to skate in the final group of the OD, more than likely the medalist will come from this group. So, which team will be left behind???[/QUOTE]

I haven't a clue but what I do know is that this board will be exploding with
    opinions. Can't wait.
    Me too!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nevergonnadance View Post
    In your world., where this happens.

In your world also, where D/W and V/M's skates are all lovey dovey, no matter how they're actually skating. Sexy - maybe. Lovey dovey, no.
    CDs are not the strong point of shilpband group , and we are time and time again remided that he hates CDs.

2) DW dance is Bollywood dance and less of a kathak, they have taken short cut to success, and used three different songs. Each part has its own meaning and understanding of the vocals are very important when they dance to it.

1) first song is Kajra re--- In a way very lustful. a woman trying to seduce a man.
    2) second song -- Here the heroine is yearning for her lover ... and the song is in sad note
    3) song is a festive song(durga puja) and joyful.

D/W skates through entire three songs with the same emotion on three dance...It seems Meryl is quite happy to let her lover go...
    Last edited by life684; 11-28-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    All the other top contenders for the podium will have won their Nationals or are assumed to be the number #1 team from their country..
    That is an excellent point. There was always a tacit agreement in figure skating that international judges should not be so impolite as to disregard the wishes of member federations with regard to their own skaters.

I remember this was a point of contention in 1998 when Tara Lipinski (the U.S. number two) was palced ahead of Mivchelle kwan (number one at U.S. nationals.) That outcome was regarded as ungentlemanly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by life684 View Post
    CDs are not the strong point of shilpband group , and we are time and time again remided that he hates CDs.

2) DW dance is Bollywood dance and less of a kathak, they have taken short cut to success, and used three different songs. Each part has its own meaning and understanding of the vocals are very important when they dance to it.

1) first song is Kajra re--- In a way very lustful. a woman trying to seduce a man.
    2) second song -- Here the heroine is yearning for her lover ... and the song is in sad note

D/W skates through entire three songs with the same emotion on three dance...It seems Meryl is quite happy to let her lover go...
    Virtue and Moir came second in the CD's in 2008 and 3rd in 2009. It may not be their strongest point, but they have had success with it. As for D/W's OD, I think you just proved my point. I was completely unaware of that, as I don't know the context of the songs, and I don't think I'm alone. It will be interesting to see how D/S do the Aboriginal dance, and see how closely it hews to the original intents.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by life684 View Post

I don't think they are trying to intrepret the lyrics. At the begining of the season they said what the story of the OD was, but I don't remember the details

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Given that such a small proportion of the audience will understand the lyrics in D/W's OD, all the more focus will fall on their characterization of Indian dance in general ( which is excellent) and their timing, use of the music etc. The overall effect is utterly charming.

I'm personally dreading the Aboriginal dance.What sort of aborigine are they depicting? Is it Australian? Or is "Aborigine" meant to be taken in a more generic way, which would give them more leeway.This couple has never impressed me as being particularly artistic or creative.( Or tasteful, for that matter, but I know not everyone will agree..) So I don't have a lot of confidence in how they'll handle the problems inherent in their choice...What sort of costumes will they wear? Nude body suits with a few bits of grass and feathers ? If Australian aborigines, men and women are not known to dance together much, yet ice dancers should be in close contact much of the time, so...???

My personal preferences aside, it seems to me that this sort of theme is much better suited to a FD, where there's a little more room for artistic license. It's still easy to go too far over the line between competitive program and show number, but a little less dangerous.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That is an excellent point. There was always a tacit agreement in figure skating that international judges should not be so impolite as to disregard the wishes of member federations with regard to their own skaters.

I remember this was a point of contention in 1998 when Tara Lipinski (the U.S. number two) was palced ahead of Mivchelle kwan (number one at U.S. nationals.) That outcome was regarded as ungentlemanly.
    So it was "ungentlemanly" that Evan won Worlds?
    And "ungentlemanly" that Jeffery won the year before?
    And "ungentlemanly" that Caroline won Junior Worlds in 2007?
    And "ungentlemanly" that Kimmie won Worlds in 2006?

( One of the secrets of a good message board poster, is knowing when to stop. )

^ Yes, I think after 1998 figure skating left gentle society for a roll in the uncouth gutter.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast