Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brian Joubert out of the GPF

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    oh i dont want to see mes meilleures amies here like this, Joub is very strong mentally, he will surpass it and he will be in Olys, I promise! Thats the miracle of some athletes. They are not mere mortals like us!
    Cheer Up! , positive thoughts we said!What can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Of course they have to wait how the surgery goes etc. - but to me it sounds really bad, worse than in 2007. I would love to know what tendons are separated. The bone is injured too, how deep must the cut be!? It just sounds bad.
    Here's an old IFS magazine story with some information about the 2007 injury (also cute pics of Brian). This time, Laurent Depouilly says the injury is to a lower part of the foot. What exactly this means in terms of prognosis, I've no idea.

Custom Title

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaba22 View Post
    I hope he will recover soon, and we will get to see him land couple of his beautiful quads in the LP.

Get well soon.... Joubert

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Why do these things always happen to him. When was the last time he went a whole season without being injured/sick. Very sad. This season is getting worse by the minute.

Sounds like he needs a surgery according to a japanese newspaper. I hope he can still make it to the Olympics.. even if he does, I don't know how ready he will be.. .. These skaters should wear some kinda protections for legs and knees when they practing jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Sounds like he needs a surgery according to a japanese newspaper. I hope he can still make it to the Olympics.. even if he does, I don't know how ready he will be.. .. These skaters should wear some kinda protections for legs and knees when they practing jumps.
    He needs kevlar boot tops or something. Yikes! It is easier to dismiss a one-time occurance but twice is on your way to becoming a habit. I hope this doesn't affect him mentally.

Custom Title
    The operation was to the 18:00 hours (french time) .
    two years ago for his injury in the foot, also he needed an operation.

Here Depuilly talks about it

13:15 min
    http://jt.france3.fr/regions/popup.php?id=c86a_1920

More information (thanks to Tanqueta that translate french to spanish)

"There is an injury in the sinew of the first toe, dorsal area. The injury is important but not serious, of course the final of the Grand prix will get lost, but NOT (Depuilly says) neither the Europeans, nor the JJOO. There will not be problem for the Europeans.
    Also he extensively speaks about the previous injury of two years ago , after which he was proclaimed a champion of the world.
    The interview is occurring in the same moment, in which the operation is done, with general anesthesia and now, after the interview, he wait the a call of the mother of Brian and of the surgeon. The return to the trainings, will depend on the doctor, depending on how the operation is developed.
    If it was by Brian, already you know it, he would return to the ice next Tuesday...""

Alright, I got news! Apparently he hit the foot between the big toe and the one next to it. That makes the Ligg. plantaria, the Ligg. metatarsea transversa superficiales and the Ligg. metatarsea transversa profunda the most probable suspects in my book - as far as the tendons go. The concerned joint could be one of the Articulationes metatarsophalangeae. (Here is a picture of a foot in different phases of undressing: the structures I pointed out are best seen in the lower picture on the left).

That doesn't sound too bad. But of course that's all speculation. It's also possible that he cut the foot between the two toes, but higher up, closer to the basis of the foot. If that's what happened, it would be a rather complicated story.

Let's think positively though!

Here is a Canadian article on the issue. Says the surgery went well but that the blade touched the bone - ouch! It also adds that Brian is in good spirits. Sending positive vibes his way. I want all the top men to be in top shape in Vancouver! Get well soon Brian!

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-ska...cess?cid=wgtsn

End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for the news and updates... It may not be as bad as I imagined at first but even if he's lucky and it isn't, it's a major blow. It would be very sad to see him being left out of the olympic race. I just hope all the skaters remain healthy for the olympics to see their dreams realize.
    I truly hope Brian gets well soon and can get in shape..

Custom Title
    Why does such kind of things keep happening to him? This is like the worst skating news to me so far this season. I hope he has a speedy recovery and comes back healthy and strong with a lot of quads at the olympics *sending positive thoughts to him*

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Why does Brian have so much trouble with new skates? Is it something to do with his technique?

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Why does Brian have so much trouble with new skates? Is it something to do with his technique?
    Yeah, the president of the French Federation was pretty honest about it; he said that Brian has problems when he has new skates and also is rather careless when in top form (which was apparently the case) and not as precise with his technique as he should be. Which results in injuries like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    So did the blade of the left foot hit his right foot badly when he fell on a lutz?

If so, couldn't it happen in old states as well?

In any case, I am really sorry about that. Hope he recovers soon.
    Last edited by Bennett; 11-27-2009 at 06:07 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast