Brian Joubert out of the GPF | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert out of the GPF

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Or so it would appear based on this (in French, Google translation here); it's a foot injury that might keep him out of French nationals as well. :frown: According to the report, it's similar to what happened in 2007 (spiking the blade into his foot). Back then, he won Worlds a few weeks later... hopefully he'll have good results this season, too. Get well soon, Brian!

Tomas Verner was the first alternate, IIRC.

ETA: moderators - the "apparently" should be taken out of the thread title as it's been confirmed by the FFSG.

Last edited:

life684

Final Flight
Oh that is sad, i was hoping for him to have good competition, and win the whole thing. Hopefully he will recover in time for Nationals and Europeans.

Last edited:

schiele

Final Flight
For europeans, sure but for french nats it´s difficult :(
Poor Brian

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
As happy as I am for Tomas, this is just so so so annoying and unsettling to hear! I am so not happy today..:frown::frown::frown:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
oh no, I m really sorry B, honestly. It sucks in Olympic season to get distracted by injuries. That is serious? I was hoping for a grand battle in gpf, without jouby now it will be a quadless final.. But at least now he rests and he comes back for the big competitions!
Dont be sad B.
plush39.gif

Buttercup

Record Breaker
oh no, I m really sorry B, honestly. It sucks in Olympic season to get distracted by injuries. That is serious? I was hoping for a grand battle in gpf, without jouby now it will be a quadless final.. But at least now he rests and he comes back for the big competitions!
Dont be sad B.
plush39.gif
You're so nice! I'm hoping it'll turn out okay - just like in 2007 except with an Olympic gold! :)

It won't be quadless, Tomas will do a quad. Please Tomas?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Another withdrawal, darn. Wishing Brian a quick recovery and I hope his injury heals soon and it does not affect his Olympic dreams. On the bright side Tomas will be there. YAY!!!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Abbott did a quad to get to the finals, fwiw.

Yes, and Takahashi also had a quad planned in his Skate Canada LP, but as we know, he tripled it. I'm pretty sure Oda will go for one too in the LP. If anyone goes quadless, I would think it will be Weir and maybe Lysacek too.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Everything I have read about Brian's injury so far sounds really bad. And not in "miss-GPF-bad", more like "going-to-miss-the-Olympics-bad".

Buttercup

Record Breaker
This story (Google translation) is somewhat more encouraging than the TV report. Laurent Depouilly explained what happened and said Brian is in better spirits than he was initially.

Brian's surgery is scheduled for about half an hour from now - so send good thoughts his way! I'm holding on to the hope that this will be like in 2007 :).

seniorita

Record Breaker
?Medusa?
They said they will do the surgery today, why is it so bad for him to miss Olympics? In 2007 how much time it took him to come back? I really hope this is not the case and I really mean it, I would feel awful if he missed euros and Olys. These things for a top athlete suck. Is it so serious rehab after? I must have not understood how big is the injury. Maybe they exaggerate in reports so far.

Medusa

Record Breaker
?Medusa?
They said they will do the surgery today, why is it so bad for him to miss Olympics? In 2007 how much time it took him to come back? I really hope this is not the case and I really mean it, I would feel awful if he missed euros and Olys. These things for a top athlete suck. Is it so serious rehab after? I must have not understood how big is the injury. Maybe they exaggerate in reports so far.
Of course they have to wait how the surgery goes etc. - but to me it sounds really bad, worse than in 2007. I would love to know what tendons are separated. The bone is injured too, how deep must the cut be!? It just sounds bad.

mishieru07

On the Ice
Oh man .. his injury sounds really terrible!

All the best to Joubert; I hope he recovers quickly! Get well soon!

seniorita

Record Breaker
oh i dont want to see mes meilleures amies here like this, Joub is very strong mentally, he will surpass it and he will be in Olys, I promise! Thats the miracle of some athletes. They are not mere mortals like us!
Cheer Up! , positive thoughts we said!What can I do?Laie_25.gif

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Of course they have to wait how the surgery goes etc. - but to me it sounds really bad, worse than in 2007. I would love to know what tendons are separated. The bone is injured too, how deep must the cut be!? It just sounds bad.
Here's an old IFS magazine story with some information about the 2007 injury (also cute pics of Brian). This time, Laurent Depouilly says the injury is to a lower part of the foot. What exactly this means in terms of prognosis, I've no idea.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Why do these things always happen to him. When was the last time he went a whole season without being injured/sick. Very sad. This season is getting worse by the minute.