Brian Joubert out of the GPF | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert out of the GPF

ks777

Record Breaker
Sounds like he needs a surgery according to a japanese newspaper. I hope he can still make it to the Olympics.. even if he does, I don't know how ready he will be.. .. These skaters should wear some kinda protections for legs and knees when they practing jumps.

Moxie

On the Ice
Sounds like he needs a surgery according to a japanese newspaper. I hope he can still make it to the Olympics.. even if he does, I don't know how ready he will be.. .. These skaters should wear some kinda protections for legs and knees when they practing jumps.

He needs kevlar boot tops or something. Yikes! It is easier to dismiss a one-time occurance but twice is on your way to becoming a habit. I hope this doesn't affect him mentally.

calica

Final Flight
The operation was to the 18:00 hours (french time) .
two years ago for his injury in the foot, also he needed an operation. ;)

Here Depuilly talks about it

13:15 min
http://jt.france3.fr/regions/popup.php?id=c86a_1920

More information (thanks to Tanqueta that translate french to spanish)

"There is an injury in the sinew of the first toe, dorsal area. The injury is important but not serious, of course the final of the Grand prix will get lost, but NOT (Depuilly says) neither the Europeans, nor the JJOO. There will not be problem for the Europeans.
Also he extensively speaks about the previous injury of two years ago , after which he was proclaimed a champion of the world.
The interview is occurring in the same moment, in which the operation is done, with general anesthesia and now, after the interview, he wait the a call of the mother of Brian and of the surgeon. The return to the trainings, will depend on the doctor, depending on how the operation is developed.
If it was by Brian, already you know it, he would return to the ice next Tuesday...""

Medusa

Record Breaker
Alright, I got news! Apparently he hit the foot between the big toe and the one next to it. That makes the Ligg. plantaria, the Ligg. metatarsea transversa superficiales and the Ligg. metatarsea transversa profunda the most probable suspects in my book - as far as the tendons go. The concerned joint could be one of the Articulationes metatarsophalangeae. (Here is a picture of a foot in different phases of undressing: the structures I pointed out are best seen in the lower picture on the left).

That doesn't sound too bad. But of course that's all speculation. It's also possible that he cut the foot between the two toes, but higher up, closer to the basis of the foot. If that's what happened, it would be a rather complicated story.

Let's think positively though!

schiele

Final Flight
Thanks everyone for the news and updates... It may not be as bad as I imagined at first but even if he's lucky and it isn't, it's a major blow. It would be very sad to see him being left out of the olympic race. I just hope all the skaters remain healthy for the olympics to see their dreams realize.
I truly hope Brian gets well soon and can get in shape..

SusieH

On the Ice
Why does such kind of things keep happening to him? :frown: This is like the worst skating news to me so far this season. I hope he has a speedy recovery and comes back healthy and strong with a lot of quads at the olympics *sending positive thoughts to him*

Wicked

Final Flight
Why does Brian have so much trouble with new skates? Is it something to do with his technique?

Medusa

Record Breaker
Why does Brian have so much trouble with new skates? Is it something to do with his technique?
Yeah, the president of the French Federation was pretty honest about it; he said that Brian has problems when he has new skates and also is rather careless when in top form (which was apparently the case) and not as precise with his technique as he should be. Which results in injuries like this one.

schiele

Final Flight
So did the blade of the left foot hit his right foot badly when he fell on a lutz?

Thats what I understood from everything I read..
Also heard that apparently doctors are recommending about 5 weeks rest before resuming training.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Thats what I understood from everything I read..
Also heard that apparently doctors are recommending about 5 weeks rest before resuming training.
I read it could be up to six weeks but would depend on how quickly he recovers, so hopefully it'll be less - they're still hoping for French Nats, but I doubt that's going to happen, and I don't want him to take unnecessary risks. Laurent Depouilly said that they will not allow Brian on the ice next week even if Brian wants to! :agree:

In the 2006/2007 season, he went undefeated. That is very rare. :rock:
Brian went undefeated that season, but not uninjured - in February of 2007, he suffered a very similar injury to what happened this time, though a bit less severe. Back then, he had surgery but was back on the ice within a few days. He couldn't train flips and lutzes until a few days prior to Worlds and wasn't 100% in Tokyo, but skated well enough to win the title, with what remains his PB :).

seniorita

Record Breaker
that is good news:) he doesnt need nationals anyway. And he can benefit of off ice training to stengthen in the meantime.
I was looking to Tallinn town today and I think i ll go, I hope I see Brian there for the big showdown of Europeans:party2:

newvie

Rinkside
I hope he'll be injury-free and ready by the olympics.
5 weeks of off-training is quite long for a skater..............
Well, I'll just keep my fingers crossed for him.

Bon courage, Brian!!! :rock:

Very sad situation. Another excellent competitive skater loses out because of injury.

Unless you have been a competitive skater, you really don't know how depressing this can be.

French Nats, Euros, Olys, Worlds. Let's hope he skates them all at his best.