Tomas this season | Golden Skate

Tomas this season

Bennett

Record Breaker
I LOVE his skating. But the big question is:

When will he become consistent?

If only he can put it together, he has everything that could make him a great, great champion. But he makes mistakes, rather randomly, despite that it just doesn't look like he has anything that he cannot do.

Yet, I have had an impression that he might be getting better than before in handling his nerves. Can he hold it at the coming big events during the rest of this season?

deedeelocks

Rinkside
That he was in his first year of psychology was incorrect though.:biggrin:

In Czech republic the exam you have to do to start studying it,is really hard I heard, I think Tomas tried twice, but failed twice :(

So now he studies "physical education and sport" (at uni in Prague). He didn't manage to get his bachelor degree last year (due to all training and what) but he plans to get that right after the olympics. And wether he succeeds or not, he wants to try for psychology again after that. He said it will be difficult to combine with skating but thinks he can do it because he finds it really interesting.

and as for the consistency. I don't know, but he did change his trainingregime since europeans 2009. He now does full runthroughs every day...so I think in time the 2nd half of the program stamina should improve...

I was still also pleasantly surprised at his performance at TEB :) and I also liked what I saw during summer. IMO there was a difference between previous summers, due to several reasons...

but in the end, lots of things sometimes do go round in his head, it can be a problem :biggrin:
at TEB he explained he missed the lutz because he was thinking about a transition he missed or something:unsure:

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Does anybody know if Tomas is in form? For the GPF, I mean. I would love to see him win it, that would be one hell of statement for the rest of the season.

deedeelocks

Rinkside
Yeah through some people I heard some things...
After SA he was sick for quite some time and still feels a bit weak...

I'm not sure he will be completely fit before GPF... he'd have some more bloodtests this weekend, and is quite positive about it...

Medusa

Record Breaker
Yeah through some people I heard some things...
After SA he was sick for quite some time and still feels a bit weak...

I'm not sure he will be completely fit before GPF... he'd have some more bloodtests this weekend, and is quite positive about it...

Well, Brezina is next in line... I could live with that too. But I prefer seeing Tomas there, he actually has a chance to kick everybody's butt there.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I would prefer Tomas not to go if he is not 100%. He was so sick at SA, pale as a ghost. Fingers crossed.

Wicked

Final Flight
Tomas is such a charming skater. I'd love to see him skate two clean programs in a competition.

schiele

Final Flight

There's a suprisingly good camaraderie between Tomas and Brian, even obvious from this small article (depending on how accruate google translate was :D ). In the past they have commented it's because their history is more recent than with other competitors and Brian does not see him as such a threat as say Lambiel. But it's been a while since then and Tomas has more or less proven himself as a worthy contender. So it's so nice to see them still getting along so well.
I heard in Brian's forum that after the injury and before the surgery a local radio station made a small interview with him, where he said he will be rooting for Tomas now to win the GPF and he cheered him on..:clap::clap:
I am also hoping that Tomas is well enough to go to the GPF and kick everyone's b***. :laugh::laugh:
I feel like he has been more in control this season than in the previous one's. For instance, despite his ghostly apparence and obvious sickness in SA, he managed to keep his LP in control even with the fall on quad. So let's hope these are all signs of improvement because otherwise like Yannick Ponsero, he'll just waste his incredible talents.

Last edited:

SusieH

On the Ice
There's a suprisingly good camaraderie between Tomas and Brian, even obvious from this small article (depending on how accruate google translate was :D ). In the past they have commented it's because their history is more recent than with other competitors and Brian does not see him as such a threat as say Lambiel. But it's been a while since then and Tomas has more or less proven himself as a worthy contender. So it's so nice to see them still getting along so well.
I heard in Brian's forum that after the injury and before the surgery a local radio station made a small interview with him, where he said he will be rooting for Tomas now to win the GPF and he cheered him on..:clap::clap:
Probably also because of Tomas's personality? I understand we don't really know the skaters personally, but Tomas strikes me as a warm and likable guy who is easy to get along with, the kind of person who can make friends easily and who knows how to break the ice with strangers and make people feel comfortable. I really think it's a great idea for him to pursue psychology. He seems to have the potential to be a capable psychologist.

Besides, I also believe people can be fierce competitors and good friends at the same time---if one meets the right person under right circumstances.

I still remember how warmly Tomas congratulated Oda on his TEB win, and that warmed my heart. :) I think sometimes it's fun to see fierce rivalries with all the throw-down-the-gauntlet talk bouncing back and forth in the air (but of course they still have to do it with style, i.e., be courteous to one another ;)). But it's also great to see the boys get along well without bickering and fighting. Good luck to Tomas at GPF! I would like to see him perform well. :clap:

*cough* Maybe Tomas always makes his fierce, crazy attack on his competitors in the Czech media? :p If that is the case, could people spare me this knowledge? Thought I'd like to keep his pretty image in my mind intact. :biggrin:

Last edited:

deedeelocks

Rinkside
but Tomas strikes me as a warm and likable guy who is easy to get along with, the kind of person who can make friends easily and who knows how to break the ice with strangers and make people feel comfortable
I think I can say something about that, we talk sometimes... :) (and I hear a lot of things :p )
He's vey nice, normal, down to earth and when you feel bad he somehow just knows what to say so you feel better...:) He has a very positive outlook on many things, I always learn from that. :p besides that he's very funny and makes jokes often :p

*cough* Maybe Tomas always makes his fierce, crazy attack on his competitors in the Czech media? If that is the case, could people spare me this knowledge? Maybe I'd like to keep his pretty image in my mind intact.
no, in any press, he is mostly very politically correct ;)

this is a real translation of the article:

"of course I am glad I got the opportunity to skate at the GPF, eventhough it was a bit unexpected" said tomas to CTK. The european champion from 2008 is preparing himself at the moment in Oberstdorf. "I have been training fully again since a week, after I grabbed myself together again from the flu I got in Canada" he said (ETA: it says Canada in the article but I think they mean USA ;) )

Tomas was first alternate for the GPF, because he came in 7th place after 2 GP's. So there was a chance he could go to Tokyo but he didn't count on it at all. "I followed skate canada to see if I would qualify, but afterwards it was sure I didn't qualify directly. I don't have so much time to prepare now though, but it doesn't really matter so much. Jumping I can do, so it just depends on wether or not I will feel good." said Tomas

The current European champion Joubert is according to the agency SID seriously injured to his foot and needs an operation. It's unclear right now how long he will be out of the running but Tomas does not doubt his parrticipation at the olympic games.

"Of couse he won't be missing at the olympics. It's not such a big deal...so he cut through the boot during a jump, it happens. Something similar happened to me in 2003. They sewed everything back together and a few weeks later I was competing again" said Tomas.

and then some random info about GPF

Last edited:

schiele

Final Flight
I think I can say something about that, we talk sometimes... :) (and I hear a lot of things :p )
He's vey nice, normal, down to earth and when you feel bad he somehow just knows what to say so you feel better...:) He has a very positive outlook on many things, I always learn from that. :p besides that he's very funny and makes jokes often :p

this is a real translation of the article:

"of course I am glad I got the opportunity to skate at the GPF, eventhough it was a bit unexpected" said tomas to CTK. The european champion from 2008 is preparing himself at the moment in Oberstdorf. "I have been training fully again since a week, after I grabbed myself together again from the flu I got in Canada" he said

Tomas was first alternate for the GPF, because he came in 7th place after 2 GP's. So there was a chance he could go to Tokyo but he didn't count on it at all. "I followed skate canada to see if I would qualify, but afterwards it was sure I didn't qualify directly. I don't have so much time to prepare now though, but it doesn't really matter so much. Jumping I can do, so it just depends on wether or not I will feel good." said Tomas

The current European champion Joubert is according to the agency SID seriously injured to his foot and needs an operation. It's unclear right now how long he will be out of the running but Tomas does not doubt his parrticipation at the olympic games.

"Of couse he won't be missing at the olympics. It's not such a big deal...so he cut through the boot during a jump, it happens. Something similar happened to me in 2003. They sewed everything back together and a few weeks later I was competing again" said Tomas.

and then some random info about GPF

Thanks for the exact translation. So google translate was not so bad after all.. I never thought he said anything mean in there about Brian or his injury and frankly would be totally suprised if he would've. That would be so unlike him.. I really wish him to do well, he's such a fantastic personality on the ice and the nickname sunshine totally suits him. That's exactly what I feel when watching him skate.. :clap::clap:

SusieH

On the Ice
Thanks for the translation. Glad to know my impression of Tomas seems to be right. :agree:

Another piece of evidence showing that he has the potential to be a psychologist! A good psychologist should always know how to say the right words at the right time. :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks for the translation. Glad to know my impression of Tomas seems to be right. :agree:

Another piece of evidence showing that he has the potential to be a psychologist! A good psychologist should always know how to say the right words at the right time. :)

I hope he can reach his potential as a skater first :)

SusieH

On the Ice
I hope he can reach his potential as a skater first :)

Amen to that. :) I hope he can learn to control his nerves this season and show us what he's capable of doing at GPF, Euros, and Olympics. (Okay, one should not be too greedy. The olympics only will be good enough for me.:cool:)