Ashley Wagner article | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner article

Rinkside
There is an article on Ashley Wagner in The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/27/sports/othersports/27skate.html?_r=1

She sounds very optimistic. One may interpret it as being overconfident, but I like it.
I personally do not think that she will medal at the Olympics, but I think she has a right mindset. She still has to be chosen into the US team, but this is nice to see that she is so open about what she thinks her chances are.

I really think the winner of the gold medal will be whoever skates the best on that day. Someone will surprise everyone. I really hope it is me.

But I think that the journalist was being rather unfair to Yuna

Asada, the 2005 and 2008 Grand Prix Final champion, failed to qualify for the event this year after finishing second in Paris and fifth in Moscow. Her big rival, Kim Yu-na, was not too heartbroken about it.

Addressing a room of reporters at a news conference at Skate America earlier this month, Kim could not hold back a smirk when she learned that Asada did not make the final.

“For the last several seasons, I competed against Mao Asada, but there are so many other strong skaters in the final,” Kim said through a translator. “I will try to do my program perfectly and I will concentrate on my performance."

Yuna did not learn about Mao not going to GPF at Skate America news conference, she must have been aware of it since Mao's poor appearance at the competition in Russia. And Yuna does not seem to be a kind of person that would smirk about it at the press conference. Maybe she simply tried to think of some polite answer. And I do not think there is anything inappropriate in what she said. Typical PR-friendly answer. Maybe the journalist tried to artificially cause some stir.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I guess you're right.

I don't see why the journalist thinks Yuna should've been "heartbroken" about Mao missing GPF. Besides it's not like Mao had a real shot at GPF after her dismal performance in CoR. Guess NYT no longer hires the kind of journalists it used to.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I agree...if Yu-Na made a comment like,"Mao's been my biggest competitor the last few seasons, but things changed this season." you could read more into it. But the fact is she avoided speaking of Mao, instead made a PC comment about the strength of the women's field as a whole. Why stir the pot? Poor writing, IMO.

As for Ashley, I agree being the lone Lady in the GPF gives her a bit of an edge come Nationals-both in reputation and extra experience, but that could quickly teeter the other way if she bombs at GPF. She sees herself as an "underdog" and I agree. It would be nice to surprise everyone and snag a medal, but many things would need to occur for that to happen. She is FAR from the "underdog" status of 2002 Sarah Hughes (and Tara was NOT the 1998 "underdog").

Yay, Ashley gets her picture in the NY Times. (That's still a big deal, right? :p) Hopefully more people will start paying attention to her dynamic skating.

I hope none of the ladies drops out. I want Ashley to do well against the best. She sounds ready and eager. :rock:

As for Yu Na's "smirk," that's just the reporter choosing a word to make the report more interesting. She could just as well have written "smile" or "grin" which would make Yu Na sound human but not mean. I wouldn't assume that Yu Na actually "smirked" unless you saw it on video.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
“Ashley definitely hasn’t peaked yet; far from it,” Hill said. “We’re planning for that to happen in January. But for now, she has a great opportunity to get more feedback from international judges and find out what she needs to work on.”

Yes, that's positive thinking. This is a great opportunity for her to get more experience and find out how to go on.

I love Ashley for expressing her dreams. I mean, if you don't believe in yourself, why put a lot of time into hard training. Wagner has been my vote for one of the US ladies going to Vancouver. The other is Sasha, but that will not happen….or?

As for Ashley, I agree being the lone Lady in the GPF gives her a bit of an edge come Nationals-both in reputation and extra experience, but that could quickly teeter the other way if she bombs at GPF.

What do you mean by bombs? That she jumps badly in GPF or gives a poor impression on the judges….or what? I can't see how reaching GPF can be a disadvantage, even if you don't skate your best there.

Surprise us, Ashley :rock:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Optimism about the future is fine, but it has to be backed up with superior performance at important events. It's also a good idea to recognize one's weak points. At the GPF, Ashley will get gigged for her flutz and her URs (if she rushes her FS), so she starts off with a handicap.

The only thing that could help her win a spot for the Olympics here is winning a GPF medal. I don't see that happening. She can't beat Kim, and won't beat Rochette, and Ando (and Suzuki) are skating at home, which gives them a certain advantage. Ashley lost to Leonova at JW and at NHK.

Ashley has always skated well in the GP, but her end-of-season events haven't been so good---8th at 2008 4CC, 16th at 2008 Worlds, 3rd behind Leonova and Zhang at 2009 JW. Ashley's inconsistency doesn't match up well against Rachael Flatt's consistency, and Wagner's never scored anywhere near the 116 Flatt scored at Skate America.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm surprised and happy at the same time to see the honesty from Wagner in that article. I like that she stated her ambitions (while certain other skaters shy away and give typical sound bytes). That said, she has to be careful about wanting it too bad- ask MK about the Olys- and focusing too much on the win (esp. at Nationals where I think she actually has a good shot at the title) and not enough on the performance. Anyway, she did bomb last year's Nats SP so hopefully that was a learning experience for her. I do wish her luck because she's going to need it, especially at GPF.

Chuck once again has good points (the skeptic in me coming out, ha!) and generally I agree. Wagner has a track record of inconsistency, particularly at the big events. She has to make sure she rotates all her jumps to max out the points. While I agree with her that the GPF in general will give her an edge over the other Americans, I also think that it could work both ways. A strong showing at the GPF, and better yet, a medal, would almost certainly work in her favor and could get her on the team even if she's 3rd at Nats. But at the same time, a poor showing there might put her back on an even playing field with everybody else. JMO- but maybe the fact that she qualified might still work in her favor (that said, it did nothing for Czisny when she BOMBED in 2005).

Things could be interesting because I think this will be the first competition that will test her ability to deal with pressure. This is an Olympic year, we're looking for a star or even a frontrunner, and she was the only American to qualify. Eyes will be on her for sure. (of course, not to the extent that they are for Ando, Rochette or Kim)

I'll end with

Surprise us, Ashley :rock:

Absolutely.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
[Wagner] is FAR from the "underdog" status of 2002 Sarah Hughes (and Tara was NOT the 1998 "underdog").

I think this year's "Sarah Hughes" could be Miki Ando. She's already beaten both Kim and Asada (2007 worlds) and snuck onto the podium again after a rough 2008 season. If Rochette, Kim, and Asada bomb at Olys, Ando could very well put it together and run away with the whole thing.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think this year's "Sarah Hughes" could be Miki Ando. She's already beaten both Kim and Asada (2007 worlds) and snuck onto the podium again after a rough 2008 season. If Rochette, Kim, and Asada bomb at Olys, Ando could very well put it together and run away with the whole thing.

ITA. At the beginning of the season I was thinking of doing a thread called surprise gold medalists/surprise podium finishers (never did; got lazy) and picked Miki in my mind to be the sgm. I am not a fan of her skating but if Yuna falters and Joannie is not perfect and Miki is clean she could take it, especially with her quad salcow. I would also not out Mao, a skater whom I've come to respect enormously despite her season so far.

Anyway, I like Ashely a lot and wish her the best. Of all the top US female skaters around now I think she is the most likely to stick it out another four years.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Miki is a former World champion, has beaten Yuna and Mao and has multiple World medals.
How is she like Sarah?

Miki is one of the favorites for an Olympic medal and maybe the favorite for Gold should Yuna falter.

How is she like Sarah again :scratch:

MKFSfan

Medalist
I think a better word is "spoiler." This fall, we've heard how the OGM is all but engraved with Yu-Na's name. Up until this season, it was supposed to e all about Yu-Na Vs Mao. Joannie could play spoiler as well, and given the Oly's are in Canada, she already has that title in her possession. Then comes Miki, who can very well spoil all these plans and swoop in with two great showings. Never say never!

snowflake said:
What do you mean by bombs? That she jumps badly in GPF or gives a poor impression on the judges….or what? I can't see how reaching GPF can be a disadvantage, even if you don't skate your best there.
Either or. Think of Alissa in, what was it, 2005? She was the US' sole participate and did not fare well at the Final. People still talk about how she had a strong fall and faltered at GPF, then kept on falling apart. If Ashley shows up and delivers. it will certainly bode well for her at Nationals. But if she ends up 6th in both portions with downgrades and falls, it will hurt her reputation and confidence. Chances are, she'll have her typical showing and gain from it, hopefully coming in (at least) 4th.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, Czisny 2005 is what sticks out in my mind. Cohen and Meissner were the two front-runners, MK was going to get that bye spot, Cohen was all but assured spot #2, and Meissner/Hughes were the favorites for the 3rd and last spot but Czisny's GP showings implied that she could have made a run for the 3rd spot as well. We know how that turned out.

We just have to hope that history does not repeat itself with Wagner.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I agree. Sarah was the world bronze medalist in 2001, like Miki in 2009. She was the surprise world champion in in 2007 when everybody was ready to hand it Mao. For Ashley to compare herself to Tara who was world and national champion by 1998 and also had 2 triple triples is not exactly fair. She has never even been to worlds, like Sarah had. I think it would be better to draw a comparison between Rachel.

R.D.

Record Breaker
For Ashley to compare herself to Tara who was world and national champion by 1998 and also had 2 triple triples is not exactly fair. She has never even been to worlds, like Sarah had. I think it would be better to draw a comparison between Rachel.

No harm in it though. Inherently, by doing that, she raises the expectations and hopes of the casual fans. Of course, the skating fans know the situation and I think the article does a reasonable job of trying to convey it to the non-skating folks.

She did say it would put her at an advantage compared to the other Americans, so I saw that as an (indirect) comparison to Rachel.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
For Ashley to compare herself to Tara who was world and national champion by 1998 and also had 2 triple triples is not exactly fair. She has never even been to worlds, like Sarah had. I think it would be better to draw a comparison between Rachel.

As I read the article she doesn't compare herself to Hughes or Lipinski. She just points out that "amazing things can happen at the Olympics" and uses H and L as examples.

MKFSfan and R.D. I don't understand why you are so negative about Wagner. I am sure she knows her weaknesses and that she and her coach know how to work them. Isn't it just great to have a US lady in GPF? Or is it that you wanted another US skater to be there? And if who, would it have been better for her then to do good in nationals? Actually I know nothing of what happened to Czisny in 2005. And if she, as you say, didn' do well in GPF and lost her confidence, how would that imply on Wagner. She is a different person.

Don't listen to them Ashley :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
MKFSfan and R.D. I don't understand why you are so negative about Wagner. I am sure she knows her weaknesses and that she and her coach know how to work them. Isn't it just great to have a US lady in GPF? Or is it that you wanted another US skater to be there? And if who, would it have been better for her then to do good in nationals? Actually I know nothing of what happened to Czisny in 2005. And if she, as you say, didn' do well in GPF and lost her confidence, how would that imply on Wagner. She is a different person.

Don't listen to them Ashley :biggrin:

I don't want my skepticism to be construed as bitterness or lack of support towards Wagner; I'm simply basing it on what I've seen previously from her. I'd :love: for her to prove everything I said completely wrong and just rock the house. But the reality is that given the circumstances, the odds are against it happening at this point.

I'm glad an American lady made it to the GPF; it gives me a reason to even care about the event in the first place.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't want my skepticism to be construed as bitterness or lack of support towards Wagner;

I'm glad an American lady made it to the GPF; it gives me a reason to even care about the event in the first place.

I may not be "bitter" but I am definitely bugged that Mirai was on the receiving end of some dubious marks this season. :yes:

But I am happy for Ashely and hope she does well at the GPF.

I will root for her like a fool :p

MKFSfan

Medalist
Whoa...where am I being negative towards Ashley? I like her, and really enjoy her programs this year. I think it's great she is in the GPF and hope she can make the most of the experience. I just don't believe she is where Sarah was heading into SLC (and certainly not Tara in 1998). It's great she has oodles of confidence-you HAVE to in order to succeed at that level. I hope she can prove me wrong and medal next weekend but I just happen to believe a 4th place would be an amazing achievement in this field for Ashley.

My point about Alissa in 2005-she had a pretty good fall, I forget what her medals were, but I believe she won Skate Canada. However, she lucked out in her assignments, as her scores were not the greatest. She still made it to the GPF, and had a very poor competition. She then had a lousy showing in 2006 Nationals, after many were thinking she could contend for the Ply team, in fact, I recall people questioning if she could even bump Kimmie from the 3rd spot (behind Michelle and Sasha). Looking at the total scores this season, Ashley may have medaled at both her events, but Rachael and Alissa had comparable scores. I forget the actual totals, but if you add up their total scores, Rachael and Alissa were almost identical and with about 2-3 points higher total than Ashley. Granted, Rachael had the season best of all three at SA, beating Yu-Na in the LP.

Anyway, that's all besides the point! I will root for Ashley to do her best next weekend, it makes Nationals even more exciting! :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Ashley twice could't beat a bumbling and very lacklustre Miki so I don't think she can beat a Miki skating closer to her best.

On the brighter side Ashley did beat Mao. But really Mao beat herself.:yes:

Ashley's GP assignments turned out to be surprisingly easy and it looks like Rachael could have won either COR or NHK.

If Ashley learns to eliminate her mistakes she could get closer to the top skaters. Still, Ashely would have impressed me much more if she had won either of her two very winnable GP's this season.

As it is Alena and Ashley benefitted from the mistakes of others more than anything else. But that is not unusual in skating

Last edited: