Grand Prix Final Preview (for Seniors) | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final Preview (for Seniors)

sorcerer

Final Flight
My greatest respect to such a thourough preview, must have took lots of energy ....

I'm a little worried for Akiko, since the situation is similar to her 4CC participation last season.
I hope this time she can be free from feeling being gifted a big chance.
She shouldn't feel obligated, she earned and deserves her spot.

Very interesting cast in all disciplines.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:thumbsup: Yes-s-s-s! for Skatebuzz. It wasn't showing earlier in the day and I was going into panic mode...now I feel better.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
That article was good in some respects, but does anyone actually expect Leonova to medal? I'd expect her to be closer to the bottom, and Akiko too because of her edge calls. I think Wagner should probably be ahead of both of them if she skates well. Ashley could even beat Joannie if Joannie does a repeat of her SC freeskate....which would be bound to score much lower not in Canada. Alena is cute and has a lot of energy but she seems the most juniorish of the bunch, I wouldn't be surprised if she was 6th, but maybe i'm not giving her enough credit. The author of the article certainly seems to think she's great

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I don't agree with the author's pick of Leonova above Rochette (unless she has another SP breakdown), but I think Leonova's chances of medalling are about the same as Wagner's. But I think they'll only medal if Ando and/or Rochette skate below their usual standard.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't see Evan winning this, the only predictions in the article I agree with were the dance.

merrybari

Final Flight
I don't see Evan winning this, the only predictions in the article I agree with were the dance.

What about pairs? Who do you think might be Shen/Zhao?

Do you think one of the otheres will beat Kim? She's shown she's vulnerable, but so have the others.

I think Evan has as good a chance at claiming the gold as any of the men. He's for sure the most consistent and imo strongest mentally and is also showing the most improvement from one event to the next. Slow and steady wins the race! My bet's on him.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't agree with the author's pick of Leonova above Rochette (unless she has another SP breakdown), but I think Leonova's chances of medalling are about the same as Wagner's. But I think they'll only medal if Ando and/or Rochette skate below their usual standard.

Yeah exactly. Rochette has fluky skates sometimes but she is always very expressive which helps her a lot. Miki never really implodes, so I think the only way Leonova gets on the podium is if Rochette messes up her short and long and Ashley and Akiko don't skate as well as she does. I'd say there's 3 levels of talent in the ladies competition being:

1.) Yu Na

big gap

2.) Miki, Joannie

smaller gap

3.) Ashley, Alena, Akiko

Within groups 2 and 3 the order of the ladies in them is very hard to predict. It should be really close between 4th and 6th, maybe even 2nd and 6th. But I guess that's what happens at the grand prix final

Trewyn

Medalist
Well switch Alena and Akiko and your Ladies predictions would have been spot on! :D Pretty good job getting 4 out of 6 correct!

Haha completely random; but half of the Ladies first names begin with an 'A'. I can picture it at the Olympics; th 4 A's underdog team; Ashley, Alissa, Alena and Akiko...

Last edited:

champs

Final Flight
Haha completely random; but half of the Ladies first names begin with an 'A'. I can picture it at the Olympics; th 4 A's underdog team; Ashley, Alissa, Alena and Akiko...

Amelie Lacoste is another favorite skater of mine and I don't mind her joining the underdog A team :) But I guess she doesn't have as high calibre as the other four.

Trewyn

Medalist
^^ I enjoyed Amelie's programs a lot at SC! I hope she makes the team (instead of Cynthia)!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Two more A ladies; Annete Dytrt and Anastasia Gimazetdinova, now joining the the 7 A's underdog team.