Top 10 Men in Skating History | Golden Skate

Top 10 Men in Skating History

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Since we have the ladies thread, I thought we should do this too.

http://sportales.com/skating/10-greatest-male-figure-skaters-of-all-time/

I think it's a HORRIBLE list. They ignore every skater that came between Button and Hamilton.

I don't think Hamilton is deserving of recognition in the first place. He did nothing to move the sport forward and I don't believe he deserved to be 1984 Olympic Champion.

Stojko and Petrenko are weak picks as well.

Ulrich Salchow and Karl Schäfer...yes, they had amazing records and were certainly great skaters in their day. Still, the sport was very rigged in Ulrich's time, and certainly some in Schafer's time as well, so who knows if they would have actually won all those titles. I've never seen performances from either of these skaters that made me think "WOW" (granted I've not seen everything they have done), so they will not be personal picks of mine.

My list:

01. Alexei Yagudin
02. John Curry
03. Dick Button
04. Kurt Browning
05. Stephane Lambiel
06. Evgeny Plushenko
07. Brian Boitano
08. Hayes Alan Jenkins
09. David Jenkins
10. Brian Orser

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
There are some strange picks in there, (maybe the writer's favourites)?

Hamilton, Stojko and Petrenko, I didn't agree with, and like you, I've never seen clips of the first two men skating. But was the sport rigged right from the start with Salchow and Schäfer? I didn't know that.

The biggest problem I had with the list: No John Curry!:eek:

When I looked this list up on the ladies' thread, I reacted the same as you two. A list without John Curry is not a list of the ten best skaters. I understand Salchow, because of his innovations, but now that skating is a century old, we can't just indiscriminately include early skaters, no matter how many Olympic medals they won. (As you say, we don't know whether there was a political element to their victories.) It seems as if the person who made the list was just looking at statistics. You could argue Stojko's presence on the list because of how he advanced quads and quads in combination. But Petrenko instead of Curry? Not on any planet with ice! My absolute requirements for this list are Curry and Browning. Everything else is open.

As with the women's list, what we'll end up with is a lot of interesting suggestions and a top-ten list with twenty guys on it. And why not? Rock on!

i love to skate

Medalist
Elvis:

3 Time World Champion - 1995 skating on an unhealed injury
2 World Silvers, 1 World Bronze
2 Time Olympic Silver Medalist - one time skating on one leg
6 Time National Champion

First Man to land a quad double and a quad triple. He was the one that made the quad a "necessity". He is one of the most consistent athletes of all time!

How can people think that Elvis doesn't belong on the list??

jennylovskt

Medalist
Scott Hamilton's contribution to skating mainly through his leadership in professional works after the amateur, and he was a hero on a personal level. I can keep him there even though he was/is not that famous outside of North America.:biggrin: Kurt Browning should be in front of Brian Boitano. I don't know why Victor Petrenko was there?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Elvis:

3 Time World Champion - 1995 skating on an unhealed injury
2 World Silvers, 1 World Bronze
2 Time Olympic Silver Medalist - one time skating on one leg
6 Time National Champion

First Man to land a quad double and a quad triple. He was the one that made the quad a "necessity". He is one of the most consistent athletes of all time!

How can people think that Elvis doesn't belong on the list??

Elvis as a stylist is not popular with certain fans. His competitive record is far more impressive than Boitano, Orser, Browning or David Jenkins.

His impact on the sport was far greater too considering he pioneered the quad jumps.

I never had a doubt that Elvis would have coasted to a Gold medal in Nagano had he been on two good legs and not sick as a dog with the flu.

I'd say Stojko belongs on the list for all the things you mentioned. I tend to prefer Browning's skating aesthetically and musically, but there's something very satisfying watching Elvis's fireplug body turn like a power drill on a jump. He's like Jimmy Cagney on skates: forceful, original, not conventionally graceful, but completely charismatic. And, God bless him, he was a darn good sport. I remember that performance he gave at the 1994 Olympics, and they gave the gold to Urmanov for nothing nearly as exciting. You can argue it both ways, but many of us felt that Stojko's long program was undermarked--partly because he wasn't European, and partly because he wasn't "pretty." Stojko just pursed his lips and said nothing. I still remember his expression.

By the way, when he won the silver on basically one leg in Nagano, it wasn't his first "Superman beats Kryptonite" moment. I think that came in the 1994 Worlds, or maybe the 1995, where he skated on an injury and--didn't he win? Someone please correct me and fill in the details. All I remember is his coach (Doug Leigh? I'm working off memory here) saying something like "You really are Superman" to him in wonder when he got off the ice after the long program.

There's always good skating when Elvis is in the building.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'd say Stojko belongs on the list for all the things you mentioned. I tend to prefer Browning's skating aesthetically and musically, but there's something very satisfying watching Elvis's fireplug body turn like a power drill on a jump. He's like Jimmy Cagney on skates: forceful, original, not conventionally graceful, but completely charismatic. And, God bless him, he was a darn good sport.

By the way, when he won the silver on basically one leg in Nagano, it wasn't his first "Superman beats Kryptonite" moment. I think that came in the 1994 Worlds, or maybe the 1995, where he skated on an injury and--didn't he win? Someone please correct me and fill in the details. All I remember is his coach (Doug Leigh? I'm working off memory here) saying something like "You really are Superman" to him in wonder when he got off the ice after the long program.

There's always good skating when Elvis is in the building.

I saw Elvis yesterday on NBC's Holiday show. :)

I remember never liking him too much until I saw him Live on a COI tour.

That night Boitano, Petrenko, Urmanov and Candeloro were all performing along with Elvis.

The crowd favorite, much to my surprise was Elvis. Boitano and Candeloro were also very well received and Urmanov could have stayed on the bus for as much effort as he put into his performance.

Elvis Live had an intensity much in the way Evan does when you see him Live.

Overall I enjoyed Boitano's skating the most but Elvis was the biggest surprise.

A few of the Ladies that night included 13 year old Michelle, 16 year old Oksana, Chen-Lu and Nancy Kerrigan.

I thought Lulu's skating was the most beautiful, Oksana had the most charisma and Michelle was a joyful puppy and landed five clean triples.
Nancy could have stayed with Urmanov on the bus for as exciting as she was (two falls) .

tae04

On the Ice
Mines in no order would be Dick Button, John Curry, Scott Hamilton, Salchow, Shaeffer, Brian Botaino, Aleksei Yagudin, Brian Orser, Evgeni Plushenko, and Elvis Stojko.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I never had a doubt that Elvis would have coasted to a Gold medal in Nagano had he been on two good legs and not sick as a dog with the flu.

I don't know about that, Ilia Kulik not only landed the first quad at the Olympics, but was (IIRC) absolutely squeaky-clean for both portions of the competition. Not to mention that the judges would put Ilia over Elvis in terms of presentation without batting an eye (a decision I would agree with).

That being said, I always admired Elvis for going out there that night and skating like he did, even if he wasn't perfect....now, that's GUTS. Elvis was a true competitive spirit.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't know about that, Ilia Kulik not only landed the first quad at the Olympics, but was (IIRC) absolutely squeaky-clean for both portions of the competition. Not to mention that the judges would put Ilia over Elvis in terms of presentation without batting an eye (a decision I would agree with).

That being said, I always admired Elvis for going out there that night and skating like he did, even if he wasn't perfect....now, that's GUTS. Elvis was a true competitive spirit.

Elvis had a long career, and won 7 international medals to Illia's 2.
Ilia was more like a one trick poney. One great skate in his whole career.

I was never a big Elvis fan but would never count him out either.

Thinking of Scott - how many guys on this list won four consecutive WC's topped off with an OGM? Button and who else? Maybe Jenkins?

This adjusted list is good - but also feels like it is based strongly on personal favorites as opposed to actual accomplishments over a career on the ice.

One has to consider who Button and the Jenkins brothers beat. I
In 1948 Europe was still recovering from the devasting effects of WW2 and much of it lay in ruins. Figure skating was not a top priority for a continent that had just spent over half a decade trying to destroy it's own civilization.

There was no competition from Asia at this time so Dick and the Jenkins bros. had to be sure to beat our Canadian cousins to the North.

I think Scott atleast was competing with and beating the best from North America and Europe in the 1980's.
His 1984 medal - did he win the figures and the short? Was Orser too far behind to win and was Scott treated like every other 4 time WC had been scored at the Olympics?

If we question Scott vs Orser in 1984 then we are being silly and ridiculous not to question other Olympic podiums. Leaving out his professional career and contributions the fact is that Scott Hamilton was unbeatable for half a decade.

I think his record speaks for itself.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Scott atleast was competing with and beating the best from North America and Europe in the 1980's.
His 1984 medal - did he win the figures and the short? Was Orser too far behind to win and was Scott treated like every other 4 time WC had been scored at the Olympics?

He was and he did, IIRC Brian was buried in figures and made up ground in the SP and the long... and Scott's LP had one popped jump, hardly a disaster.

If we question Scott vs Orser in 1984 then we are being silly and ridiculous not to question other Olympic podiums. Leaving out his professional career and contributions the fact is that Scott Hamilton was unbeatable for half a decade.

:rock::rock::rock:

I think people's dislike for Scott's current role as a commentator overshadow his accomplishments as a skater... and businessman... he made it okay for male skaters to headline a skating tour in the US...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To put Evgeny ahead of Alexei is just not right!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
He was and he did, IIRC Brian was buried in figures and made up ground in the SP and the long... and Scott's LP had one popped jump, hardly a disaster.

:rock::rock::rock:

I think people's dislike for Scott's current role as a commentator overshadow his accomplishments as a skater... and businessman... he made it okay for male skaters to headline a skating tour in the US...

Here is Scott's LP from 1983. This was his third straight WC......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7y-p5tyOPU

His style might not be as pleasing as some of todays' skaters - but in his day Scott was the most energetic and entertaining skater in the world.

Born sickly with an unhealthy childhood his story is remarkable. I think his competitive career along with his contributions to Pro skating in the USA make him a legendary figure and skating would not have been the same without him. It wouldn't have been as good either.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Elvis as a stylist is not popular with certain fans. His competitive record is far more impressive than Boitano, Orser, Browning or David Jenkins.

How is his record more impressive than David Jenkins'? That guy dominated the sport for 4 years straight. He (like his older brother) was amazing. His edges, spins, jumps, presentation...all wonderful. There is even a clip of him doing a Triple Axel in practice, 20 years before anyone ever landed it in competition.

Elvis was a great, consistent jumper and the first person to consistently do Quads, but that's really all that can be said. He was not a great all-around skater (although he did have a couple strong programs - 1994 LP, 1998 SP).

Boitano and Orser had the technique to do Quads if it had been a necessity when they were competing. Their jumps are amazing and they have FAR stronger skating skills than Elvis and better musicality.

janetfan

Match Penalty
How is his record more impressive than David Jenkins'? That guy dominated the sport for 4 years straight. He (like his older brother) was amazing. .

They were very good at beating the other US skaters and the Canadians. Who else did they beat?

ETA: Here is a link to Worlds medalists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Figure_Skating_Championships#Medalists

It is easy to see that Europe was not a factor in the years that followed WW2

Many men's podiums had all three spots taken by Americans or North Americans from Button's era through to the Jenkins bros era ending in 1959.

Looking in the 80's we can see that Scott was competiting against much tougher international competition.

You are right, Button and the Jenkins bros. were great but it almost feesl like they could have an asterisk next to their names. They were more like North American champions than World champions.

JMHO

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Well, Evgeny has two Olympic medals (so far) and Alexei only one.

John Curry definetely should have been on the list and e.g. Stojko and Petrenko not.

prettykeys

Medalist
Hehe, I thought the same thing but these lists appear to be chronological, and I think Evgeni was more impressive at an earlier age than Alexei was. I could be wrong, though!