Does Skating miss School Figures? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Does Skating miss School Figures?

gkelly

Record Breaker
IIRC it appears that Chan may have had some basic training in figures (he once mentioned skating around in circles during practice).

And Chan has some of the best edges in freestyle today. There's a reason he gets such high PCS.

I love Jeremy Abbott's edge work as well.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I'm no coach, but one thing I've read is that figures teach a skater to control the edge from the ankle down. Not too many elite skaters can do that anymore, they think of an edge as something you make by leaning your whole body into it. If you look at old figures footage on youtube, you'll notice they don't lean (except when they're doing badly).

To be fair though figures were done much more slowly than free skaters perform their routines and body lean is all part of riding the edges at speed. If you loko particularly at Dancers who generally execute the turns much better than free skaters they are nearly always leaning into the edge. To have your body upright on a fast deep edge would throw you off.

Another benefit is just the scrutiny that turns get. MITF would work better if coaches got down and examined the tracings with their students. But they don't and too often anything that looks vaguely right from a distance gets passed and so you have skaters that don't do real counters, they do a change of edge followed by a three.

In my experience coaches always scrutinse the tracing on the ice, it is the sure fire way to diagnose problems, not only with turns but with jumps, spins, cross overs, anything. My coach will always follow me as i do something and then look at the tracing I leave on the ice and explain what went wrong (or well!) and show me the tracing and explain why. I have seen every coach in our rink teach things in similar ways, expecially with the tricky turns like counters/rockers.

Ant

gkelly

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P88tCYf8k8c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxgR_Cx52-s

Ignoring what the skaters are wearing, and making allowances for possible differences in training history or overall skill level, what do you think are the differences between these two patterns as exercises to teach brackets and general edge control skills?

How about differences in suitability for practicing on crowded freestyle sessions? Or relevance to use in freestyle programs?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
There is some merit in saying Figures are worthwhile.

Maybe it would actually be a good idea to bring figures back at the pre-Senior level.

They should absolutely not be a part of competition at the Senior level, though. People actually pay go see the competitions at that level.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I used to hate figures as a kid, too. As an adult, I find a lot of value and serenity in doing them occasionally (weekly when I can).

US Figure Skating is trying to remedy the lack of body awareness/control a bit by the changes to the MITF structure with the forward 8s and backward 8s being re-introduced and loops being added.

FWIW, my (female) coach teaches me the new MIF turns as a figure first to gain control of it. I learned the bracket figure and back double threes when i first started Intermediate MIF(which I have since passed) and have worked the counters and rockers as figures. She is a Gold medalist in figures (passed 8th) and FS. I am close to passing standard on the Novice test and don't think I would have understood the counters if I had not patched them. I had judges tell me that my counters were very strong and clean with good flow and power for the MITF.

The best thing about figures is they teach CORE control, which MITF do not (I cannot attest to the Canadian skills). My (male) coach preaches doing turns from the CORE and using the knee and ankle to finish the motion. He, too, is a Gold medalist in figures and FS (more recent - with both - in the 90s). The more I focus on the core completing the element/skill we are working on, the better it is. You can create very consistent elements if you know what your core is doing and can control it.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I used to hate figures as a kid, too. As an adult, I find a lot of value and serenity in doing them occasionally (weekly when I can).

Yes, yes, yes. Interesting how we adults tend to like figures while the kids don't. But the young in particular could benefit a lot from having to perform exercises that require FOCUS.

The best thing about figures is they teach CORE control, which MITF do not (I cannot attest to the Canadian skills). My (male) coach preaches doing turns from the CORE and using the knee and ankle to finish the motion. He, too, is a Gold medalist in figures and FS (more recent - with both - in the 90s). The more I focus on the core completing the element/skill we are working on, the better it is. You can create very consistent elements if you know what your core is doing and can control it.

Well said--I've been trying to find the words to describe this and you did it. What's lacking from so much of the current skater contingent is solid and dependable core control. And it's especially important once you hit puberty and grow, as your core then becomes a much bigger proportion of your overall mass and weight compared to your peripherals.

Even just for testing, I don't expect figures and patch sessions will ever come back to skating like they were before--it's too costly for ice time for both rinks and skaters, not that remunerative for coaches, plus year by year over time, we're losing coaches who are able to teach figures well. And I don't think you need to do figures to 8th Figure Test level to become a great SP and FS skater. But perhaps some well selected traditional figure work interspersed in the MITF sequence is a step in the right direction to fill some of the training gaps that we seem to be repeatedly spotting in current skaters--not just the elite skaters but at the lower levels as well.

prettykeys

Medalist
...plus year by year over time, we're losing coaches who are able to teach figures well. And I don't think you need to do figures to 8th Figure Test level to become a great SP and FS skater.
Absolutely agree, and thank you and mskater93 for your illuminating posts sharing your experiences and thoughts.

The thing about having a whole generation of skaters who may not learn Figures is the scariest part to me. I don't know why, as I'm not a skater, but I'd feel like it'd be a permanently lost art which seems to have great value in a sport I love to watch.

i love to skate

Medalist
The thing about having a whole generation of skaters who may not learn Figures is the scariest part to me. I don't know why, as I'm not a skater, but I'd feel like it'd be a permanently lost art which seems to have great value in a sport I love to watch.

Why? :scratch:

The majority of skaters that we see today on the senior and junior circuit have never done figures. The footwork and edges for the majority of them is outstanding. Just because figures aren't implemented anymore doesn't mean that skaters do not have to do turns or focus on edges - it is just practiced in a more interactive and beneficial manor, IMO.

There are three aspects to each level of skills - an expanding exercise and two sections which focus on turns. For example, multi circle threes and brackets, and rockers and choctaws. Anyone, who went through Canadian skills knows how much focus you had to have when you did "snakes and ladders" :laugh:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
The majority of skaters that we see today on the senior and junior circuit have never done figures. The footwork and edges for the majority of them is outstanding.

This is a matter of opinion. Which I don't happen to agree with for ladies and pairs (men and dancers seem to have much better F & E skills). I can't think of that many junior or senior ladies that have footwork and edges I'm willing to salute and mark as "outstanding". YMMV

i love to skate

Medalist
This is a matter of opinion. Which I don't happen to agree with for ladies and pairs (men and dancers seem to have much better F & E skills). I can't think of that many junior or senior ladies that have footwork and edges I'm willing to salute and mark as "outstanding". YMMV

Well yes, I didn't specifically say it was for ladies - ladies is the discipline I watch the least of actually. Look at some of the Canadian team: Rochette, Ten, Phaneuf, Chan, D/D, V/M, W/P, C/P - All pretty outstanding edgework, footwork, and turns in my view. The Junior up and comers - Ralph and Hill and Nyugen - have awesome basics.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Well yes, I didn't specifically say it was for ladies - ladies is the discipline I watch the least of actually. Look at some of the Canadian team: Rochette, Ten, Phaneuf, Chan, D/D, V/M, W/P, C/P - All pretty outstanding edgework, footwork, and turns in my view. The Junior up and comers - Ralph and Hill and Nyugen - have awesome basics.

I made my previous comment thinking of the elite junior and senior skaters from around the world that I've managed to see live and on TV/streaming, wasn't just focusing on the Canadians. Are Canadian footwork and edge skills just that much above the rest of the world? I dunno...

i love to skate

Medalist
I made my previous comment thinking of the elite junior and senior skaters from around the world that I've managed to see live and on TV/streaming, wasn't just focusing on the Canadians. Are Canadian footwork and edge skills just that much above the rest of the world? I dunno...

Well, since I am from Canada they are the skaters that I know most about so that's why I used them as an example :) I would say that Canadian skaters, for the most part, have excellent skating and edge skills. I don't know how other National teams from around the world would be rated. Japan is one country that has great edgework!

Binthere

On the Ice
I don't think the sport misses them and I know that skaters absolutely do not. Figures were horribly painful to do - especially when you are training in an arena that is -20 degrees (yes I've been there). I have never once met a skater who loved, or even liked figures.

I share your sentiments on those experiences. Eery and freezing.

That said, there is a lot to be said for the discipline and basic technique figures taught. Frank Carroll (who is mentioned in this thread for his thoughts and work on jump technique) always said figures were terrific for instilling discipline which is at the very core of the sport.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Figure skating purists - like myself - will say yes, the school figures are missing. One can tell from the poor posture and poor edges of some of the skaters.

As the great Trixie Schuba once said - "After all it is called Figure Skating." She was the greatest tracer of figures ever.

Figures teach a skater many things - good balance, correct posture and discipline. It takes much patience and concentration to trace figures hour upon hour on a solitary patch of ice. It is actually very theraputic.

I suppose in today's fast paced world the art of tracing figures is a lost art. School figures were never about speed, but rather more about graceful, precise motion.

I did not really appreciate figures until later in my adult years. I agree with Janet Lynn - who by the way was not that great at tracing figures - they should be still a main part of figure skating.