Thread: the next big thing in skating?

Custom Title

the next big thing in skating?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7JImceUalg

awesome lil skater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7JImceUalg

awesome lil skater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lots of potential there. Should develop into a champion.

Lots of potential, but a couple of things: first, I'm always hesitant to label very young skaters as "the next big thing", as there are any number of factors that might yet come into play - growth spurts, injuries, loss of motivation. etc. This is a ten year old novice skater; once he gets into junior international competition, we might be able to make a more informed assessment of his chances at senior success.

Second, his coaching situation may be a cause for concern; I understand his main coach is Joanne McLeod? I believe some of her skaters have found it difficult to adapt to higher level competition.

Anyway, I wish him the best of luck with his skating - he's a very talented kid.

Custom Title
    Wow, did he do a quad in that routine? I couldn't tell because he rotates so fast, but yeah, he's good. Very nice presence for a 10 year old jumping bean

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Lots of potential, but a couple of things: first, I'm always hesitant to label very young skaters as "the next big thing", as there are any number of factors that might yet come into play - growth spurts, injuries, loss of motivation. etc. This is a ten year old novice skater; once he gets into junior international competition, we might be able to make a more informed assessment of his chances at senior success.
    I agree with labelling young skaters the next big thing. It's hard to say what will happen in the future but if he keeps progressing at this rate he is going to be scarily good! Last year the only triples he could do (I think) were triple sal and triple toe. In the span of a year he has added the loop, flip, and lutz! If I recall, he also was underrotating some of these at Sectionals which were a couple weeks before this video was taken. That's amazing improvement in such a short span of time!

There is a video of him on SkateBuzz and he seems like a very down to earth kid who has interests outside of skating - which are very important for someone so young! I also love his music choices as I find they are age suitable and a lot of fun for him to skate to.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Second, his coaching situation may be a cause for concern; I understand his main coach is Joanne McLeod? I believe some of her skaters have found it difficult to adapt to higher level competition.
    Well in McLeod's defence she has had some students that have had large egos, were unwilling to listen to criticism, and couldn't handle the pressure of competition. Examples, Sandu and Leung. I think she did all she could do for these skaters and I am curious to see how she handles Nam. I hope he goes to another coach for his triple axel though - Doug Leigh would be great!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    He has a lot of character for such a young guy!

Needs to work on the technique of the jumps. His takeoffs are swingy (especially on the toeloop) and the Lutz may have slightly turned over to an inside edge. Of course, he's still so young and his body will be going through massive changes. He still has 5 years before he can compete as a Senior....so he won't even be in the mix at the NEXT Olympics.