Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Eastern/Western Challenge

Custom Title
    Sooo...my mum is in Mississauga and she said that Liam did not have a good long, but stayed in 2nd (3rd in long). NAM WON!! She said he did a 6 or 7 triple program. He could be on his way to his fourth national championship in a row!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    Sooo...my mum is in Mississauga and she said that Liam did not have a good long, but stayed in 2nd (3rd in long). NAM WON!! She said he did a 6 or 7 triple program. He could be on his way to his fourth national championship in a row!!!
    What?! He won? That is fantastic!

Rinkside
    Just looking at the results from challenge Kathryn Kang was 15th does she not qualify for nationals?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by margiemo View Post
    Just looking at the results from challenge Kathryn Kang was 15th does she not qualify for nationals?
    Only the top 14 ladies at the challenge qualify for nationals as there are 4 byed skaters ( Rochette, Phaneuf, Lacoste and Szmiett ) and Skate Canada does not allow more than 18 ladies to compete at nationals.

So Kang misses nationals. Hardly a surprise since she is capable of completely imploding in competition.

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    Only the top 14 ladies at the challenge qualify for nationals as there are 4 byed skaters ( Rochette, Phaneuf, Lacoste and Szmiett ) and Skate Canada does not allow more than 18 ladies to compete at nationals.

So Kang misses nationals. Hardly a surprise since she is capable of completely imploding in competition.
    At the same time, it's quite a surprise when you consider she was 5th at least year's Nationals. Proves her inconsistency, though, but that's still quite drastic...

Rinkside
    Ok, I get why Joannie is byed to Nationals, she was rather busy this weekend, but what about the other byed skaters? Why?

Custom Title
    It's not just a question of being "too busy" to attend the challenge event... the top 4 or 5 from the previous Nationals are considered on the "National Team", get international assignments, and so don't need to prove their "competence/competitiveness" in order to re-qualify to Nationals. I don't know what the exact rule/criteria is, but along those lines. ....And anyway (I know this is not the deciding factor, but) Lacoste and Phaneuf were both in the top 10 at last year's 4CC, and Szmiett a JPG finalist... I'd say that is plenty proof that they would be competitve at Nationals

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by amateur View Post
    It's not just a question of being "too busy" to attend the challenge event... the top 4 or 5 from the previous Nationals are considered on the "National Team", get international assignments, and so don't need to prove their "competence/competitiveness" in order to re-qualify to Nationals. I don't know what the exact rule/criteria is, but along those lines. ....And anyway (I know this is not the deciding factor, but) Lacoste and Phaneuf were both in the top 10 at last year's 4CC, and Szmiett a JPG finalist... I'd say that is plenty proof that they would be competitve at Nationals
    It does not work that way.

Here is who gets byes directly to nationals.

1. Those who medalled at last year's senior Canadians.
    2. Those who received a senior GP assignment.
    3. Those who make the JGPF final since it is held the same week as the challenge.

I checked this out and those who made the GP or JGPF final in pairs/dance can't use their competition conflict to get a bye in singles. This would affect Paul Poirier ( senior men ) , Asher Hill ( junior men ) and Kaleigh Hole ( junior ladies ). That is a rule change effective this year. In the past those skaters also would have received byes.

BTW, Kang was on the national team this year ( finished 5th at last year's Canadians ) but did not get any international assignments. So she had to compete even sectionals. Those with JGP assignments and/or senior B's get a bye to challenge ( but not to nationals).

Being on the national team does not guarantee any international assignments. It only provides funding.

Kang did not finish top 75 SB list last year ( she bombed JW ) so was not eligible to get any GP's unless she was chosen for Skate Canada. As Kang performed poorly in her summer competitions as well as her poor junior international record Skate Canada did not consider her for any assignments ( including senior B's ) . Her poor showing at the challenge justified the decision.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the clarification!

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    The only reason I see Skate Canada picking Kevin is because of the need to have someone finishing in the top 3 countries. If Balde were healthy, I could see SC not sending Kevin at all.
    I actually think a healthy Balde would do better than Reynolds at JW ( he did last year ) simply because his triple axel is far more consistent. Alas, he is injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by gopatrick View Post
    Agreed~ I am very curious how much Balde progresses this season, it's so unfortunate that he's injured during this transition period.
    I heard from one of the Pierrefonds coaches tonight that Elladj just landed a double Lutz today, and he hadn't done a double flip or Lutz (maybe loop either, not sure) since his injury last Spring. The coach sounded quite excited about that, which suggests that Elladj's recovery has taken quite a while. I unfortunately don't think he'll be ready by Jr Worlds, though, if he's only getting his doubles back now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kypma View Post
    I heard from one of the Pierrefonds coaches tonight that Elladj just landed a double Lutz today, and he hadn't done a double flip or Lutz (maybe loop either, not sure) since his injury last Spring. The coach sounded quite excited about that, which suggests that Elladj's recovery has taken quite a while. I unfortunately don't think he'll be ready by Jr Worlds, though, if he's only getting his doubles back now.
    Elladj must be thrilled. Last time I was there he was looking quite frustrated to be so limited in what he was allowed to do during rehab. I would be very suprised if he does anything competitively until the summer but then again skaters aren't known for being a cautious bunch.

Custom Title
    A quick followup on Elladj... I heard from one of the Pierrefonds skaters that he is now doing most of his triples again and that he is really happy to be getting everything back.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rdad View Post
    A quick followup on Elladj... I heard from one of the Pierrefonds skaters that he is now doing most of his triples again and that he is really happy to be getting everything back.
    Good to hear. I reckon that he will get a senior B and Skate Canada next season barring some huge surprise over the summer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2