Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Practice Reports

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Sir Lysacek? Did Johnny just knight Evan?

Custom Title
    Oda runs out a clear curve on his quad landing edge before banging out the 3/3. Is it a fully credited 4/3/3 if he travels on the curve of his blade for a few feet before hitting the next two jumps? Is it more of a jump sequence than a 4/3/3?

Which is not to say I don't love him and would be happy if he won gold.

Custom Title
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTlZFXN4qW8

This is a clip of Yuna, for Yuna fans out there. So it's talking about changes made to her flip jump because it was shaky at the last competition.

Basically, she changed her setup for the flip so that it mirrors what she used to do previously for her 3F-3T combos.

The flip she does in the clip looks SOOO awesome. The best I've seen of her maybe.

Custom Title
    My goodness, Oda is an incredible jumper! He's definitely the front runner and heavy favorite not only at GPF and Japanese Nationals but also in Vancouver. Plushenko should really watch out this little guy now. The only question is, can he hold up under pressure?

Yuna looks so fit and confident, the competition is hers to lose. Nobody can challege her, her only enemy is herself. I really hope Akiko to step it up on her home rink, it's her best chance to grab that final ticket going to Vancouver. (But I like Fumie and Yukari too, it's such a hard decision which one I should root for...)

Any report on the non-Japanese skaters? Good luck to all of them, this is gonna be a remarkable competition!

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Oh god

Great Teacher Oscilla
    Quote Originally Posted by nevergonnadance View Post
    Is it a fully credited 4/3/3 if he travels on the curve of his blade for a few feet before hitting the next two jumps? Is it more of a jump sequence than a 4/3/3?
    His 4-3-3 would be fully credited as a combination. The skaters usually cover some lenght of the ice between the jumps while landing a combination that ends in 2T or 3T. The more speed the skater has out of a jump, the more lenght he/she will cover. It takes a great knee action to sustain the landing and not to lose edge or speed. Only combinations ending in loops are launched almost immediately after landing the first jump.

IIRC, as long as the skater doesn't put his/her free leg down the combination will count as a combination. I remember some skaters who did 3-turns after landing their 1st jump badly, then tacked on a 2T or 2L and it still counted as a combination (with -GoE).
    For example, Miki's 3T-2L-2L in the 2nd half:
    http://www.skatingjapan.jp/National/...E/data0205.pdf
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4AVPUpVBbU
    I

wow. Miki's 3Lutz/3loop combo looks solid , which always does in Practice, just hoping she doesn't leave it there.

Custom Title
    (hmmm...Sounds like some sort of weird role-play...)

ANYHOW.

I think he's being sarcastic in that either Evan or the people surrounding him are acting like he's a knight... which wouldn't be surprising given their being on not-so-stellar terms, and Evan's World title.

Custom Title
    Wow they look solid. This is looking out to be a GREAT competition.

I'm really hoping that the 2 weeks up in Iwate have paid off for Miki and Nobu.

Custom Title
    Miki's 3lutz/3loop and 2axel/3toe!!!! Yes she always looks great in practices but here's hoping she'll nail them this time.

And Yu-na, Nobu and Takahashi all look so solid

Any info on Joannie?

Custom Title
    Thanks for clarifying that for me Oscilla. Good to know. Oda's landing edge certainly looked fast and fluid, so the entire sequence looked extremely nice. I just wasn't certain about the ice coverage in between the 4 and the two 3's. Makes sense and glad to hear it. He's looking great, and an appealing personality as well.

Johnny is adorable.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ae9177 View Post

Yuna looks so fit and confident, the competition is hers to lose. Nobody can challege her, her only enemy is herself. I really hope Akiko to step it up on her home rink, it's her best chance to grab that final ticket going to Vancouver. (But I like Fumie and Yukari too, it's such a hard decision which one I should root for...)
    I say Akiko over Yukari and Fumie. Yukari's wrapped free leg in her jumps really detracts from her skating. As for Fumie....she's just old, almost 30. She's already gone to the olympics twice right? Maybe she should let someone else have a turn, esp because she has been kinda off her groove lately.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I say Akiko over Yukari and Fumie. Yukari's wrapped free leg in her jumps really detracts from her skating. As for Fumie....she's just old, almost 30. She's already gone to the olympics twice right? Maybe she should let someone else have a turn, esp because she has been kinda off her groove lately.
    Why let someone have their turn if they don't earn? IMHO, This whole "letting someone have their turn" business based on a skater's age. A trip to worlds and the Olympics should really be an earned trip; not a gift; regardless of your age or accomplishments. It's as bad as how Cohen bemoaned over the fact that Kwan wouldn't retire and give someone else a chance except Cohen couldn't keep it together when she had the chance. Fumie is looking a lot better now than she did two years ago. That said, I definitely wouldn't be happy if Fumie goes to Vancouver if she bombs nationals and that likes of Yukari or Akiko does well.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast