Practice Reports | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Why only ladies? Why only American ladies?

Historically, Americans have been mostly interested in ladies because that is where we have had our biggest success. I mean there has been a US lady on the podium, except for after the plane crash, every Olympics for decades.

R.D.

Record Breaker
To help get the thread back OT (sort of), tweet from Ashley Wagner :rock:

I had a nice warm up today..I'm looking forward to tonight..I just need to go out and skate like I do in practice and I'll be set!!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've got to admit that if the ladies were the only discipline I were interested in, I wouldn't bother watching skating either the last couple years. Fortunately, I love the men, the pairs and dance!

I have to agree! Generally, the ladies as a whole are the most shallow discipline competitively, IMO. It's the discipline that is the most predictable who the gold medal favorite is right now I think, which does take away the excitement of competition. Like you, it's fortunate that I love all the other disciplines, too. :agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's the discipline that is the most predictable who the gold medal favorite is right now I think, which does take away the excitement of competition.

ITA, but I (still) wouldn't have it any other way. :p

S

sleepyjl

There's more to it than that. I mean, for instance we have a male world champ but that won't make me pay attention to men's skating any time soon. I like ladies' skating IN GENERAL- but I simply like to support my fellow Americans. No harm in that (I think??)

The bigger issue goes waaaaay beyond nationalities. It's that there's no skater that I TRULY just HAVE to see. Most performances are very similar (thanks to the Cop) so there's not too much variety and thus less excitement in general for me.

Anyway, sorry for the digression. back OT-

We're all entitled to a few off-the-cuff statements that we wish we could take back. As I understand it, you're saying your interest is waning because of the new judging system, not because there aren't any American champs. I disagree (in my opinion Yuna is the most "Must-See" skater since Michelle Kwan), but that's a fair point.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Well, I can give you my observation. At the last few Olympics, the ladies' event was very predictable ..........

..................................... until they actually skated.

R.D.

Record Breaker
We're all entitled to a few off-the-cuff statements that we wish we could take back. As I understand it, you're saying your interest is waning because of the new judging system, not because there aren't any American champs. I disagree (in my opinion Yuna is the most "Must-See" skater since Michelle Kwan), but that's a fair point.

Yes, sometimes I do get carried away (Usually I will either edit or delete the post in question)

Actually, the truth is it's a little of everything. The new judging system, what I suspect to be shady judging in the GP, lack of US contenders, PLUS the fact that there is a dominant skater currently in the field. I *strongly dislike* predictable competitions. I can't sit down and pinpoint a particular cause. Everything I mentioned contributes in one way or the other.

ETA: If you think Yuna is one of the greatest, that's fine, don't let my comments take anything away from that.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I can give you my observation. At the last few Olympics, the ladies' event was very predictable ..........

I hope that's what happens again!!!:bow:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The HUGE difference is that Sarah Hughes had already beaten both Irina Slutskaya and Michelle Kwan at Skate Canada prior to the 2002 OG. Tara Lipinski had beaten Michelle Kwan numerous times prior to 1998 OG. Shizuka Arakawa had beaten Sasha Cohen and an ill Irina Slutskaya prior to the 2006 OG too. None of the current American ladies now competing have beaten Yu-Na Kim overall in a competition, and I don't see that changing given their level of talent compared to Yu-Na's.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Really? I have to say that I sorta don't. The less predictable it is, the more likely for a scandal to arise, and I have to say that I don't want another scandal.

But if the favorite stumbles, another one has a solid performance and the favorite still wins, IMHO that's opening it up for a scandal as well...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
There's more to it than that. I mean, for instance we have a male world champ but that won't make me pay attention to men's skating any time soon. I like ladies' skating IN GENERAL- but I simply like to support my fellow Americans. No harm in that (I think??)

The bigger issue goes waaaaay beyond nationalities. It's that there's no skater that I TRULY just HAVE to see. Most performances are very similar (thanks to the Cop) so there's not too much variety and thus less excitement in general for me. So I think this, coupled with the sudden lack of US contenders, has made me a little more US-focused than usual, to be quite honest.

Anyway, sorry for the digression. back OT-

I don't think it's unfair. I suspect that if you interviewed the average Japanese audience, most would prefer singles to pairs/dance (which correlates to the nation's success). And as much as I'd like to think of Canadians as being more egalitarian than that, I suspect that ladies would be outpaced by other disciplines simply because of our success there.

That said, I have to admit I'm a little choked that someone's appreciation for the sport is that narrow.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The HUGE difference is that Sarah Hughes had already beaten both Irina Slutskaya and Michelle Kwan at Skate Canada prior to the 2002 OG. Tara Lipinski had beaten Michelle Kwan numerous times prior to 1998 OG. Shizuka Arakawa had beaten Sasha Cohen and an ill Irina Slutskaya prior to the 2006 OG too. None of the current American ladies now competing have beaten Yu-Na Kim overall in a competition, and I don't see that changing given their level of talent compared to Yu-Na's.

This is exactly why I favor Miki Ando as spoiler- because she's the only one to beat BOTH Vancouver favorites (Asada, Kim). Rochette has beaten Asada but not Kim. As for the Americans, yeah...it's unfortunate but I don't see them in the mix...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
But if the favorite stumbles, another one has a solid performance and the favorite still wins, IMHO that's opening it up for a scandal as well...

I dunno. I really do think it depends on how the media spins it. And that depends on the participants in said controversy.

mel66

Rinkside
Well, I think Yuna and Miki have naturally smaller frame than Joannie or Ashley. They would need extra body fat to look "healthy", and you can't possibly say either Joannie or Ashley is carrying around more body fat than the other two. Especially Yuna, being considerably taller than the aforementioned ladies, looks more elongated sorta like Czisny.

Yes, I agree with you. And it's ethnic thing too. Asians have smaller body structure and less muscle than Caucasians in general. So I don't think it is appropriate to compare body shape between Asian ladies and Caucasian ladies. They are just different. That's all.

aurora100

Final Flight
What does practice mean?

I was at Skate America in Lake Placid. I didn't go to the practice but people sitting around me did. They said Yuna's long program practice was flawless. Then something happened in her head between the practic and actual program a few hours later. Orser said in an interview that they would change the routine during the wait. He said Yuna spent 45 minutes on a yoga mat before the long program and that wasn't going to happen again.

Now the spin is her left boot. And the location of her flip entry has been changed according to the Korean broadcasts. All along I believe it's in her head. As it is for any skater. When you spend the time doubting and thinking about what would people think if I am not perfect. You will end up on your bum. I love Yuna's skating and any skating where the skaters go out and skate their heart out with pure joy. I just want Yuna to skate that way at the GPF. :)

bekalc

Record Breaker
Now the spin is her left boot. And the location of her flip entry has been changed according to the Korean broadcasts. All along I believe it's in her head. As it is for any skater. When you spend the time doubting and thinking about what would people think if I am not perfect. You will end up on your bum. I love Yuna's skating and any skating where the skaters go out and skate their heart out with pure joy. I just want Yuna to skate that way at the GPF.

Yu-na was struggling with her 3flip in practice at Skate America though. That was really clear from all reports. And maybe she was uncomfortable with her left boot too. These things CAN cause an athlete to doubt things....;) Talk is that her 3flip here looks much, much, much better.

reynycpr

On the Ice
From Ashley's twitter:

"I had a nice warm up today..I'm looking forward to tonight..I just need to go out and skate like I do in practice and I'll be set!!"