Practice Reports | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports

OHgal

Rinkside
Holy cow, Oda's jumps are unbelievable!!

If jumping was a separate event (as I think it should be!) he would be a shoe-in for gold.:clap:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Why are we even assuming that he's looking at Yuna?

Judging from the fact that he has to turn his head slightly on top of have his eyes in that directly, I'd say that he's more likely to be staring down the photographer who's about to (or just did) take a pic of Miki.

I actually think that's possible too.. I'm not sure either that he's staring at Yu-na.

reynycpr

On the Ice
I am really excited for this Ladies SP. It should be very interesting.

I'm also excited to hear that Ash is practicing 3/3, hope she can pull it off. She used to do 3Lutz/3Loop before...anyone know if it has ever received full credit in intl' comp? I know she did it at Naitonals in 2008.

Joannie should definitely try it here. I know she does 3Lutz/3Toe in her warm-ups quite often...but seeing as how she has yet to land one cleanly in competition I doubt she would even go for it here... even though I think she should, as well at Nationals.

Interesting from these 6 Laides, only Kim and Leonova have received credit for a 3/3 (Leonova did have a step out, but no UR call on it).

I'm just hoping that the SP scores don't mirror those of TEB (16.44 between 1st and 2nd). :no:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am really excited for this Ladies SP.

I'm just hoping that the SP scores don't mirror those of TEB (16.44 between 1st and 2nd). :no:

Yeah, freeskates are just very dull when you know the winner before they even warmup.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joannie should definitely try it here. I know she does 3Lutz/3Toe in her warm-ups quite often...but seeing as how she has yet to land one cleanly in competition I doubt she would even go for it here... even though I think she should, as well at Nationals.

I don't think it's wise for Rochette to try a 3+3 in the SP here at the GPF. She can't afford to lose ground to Miki Ando at this competition. I think she should totally try the 3+3 at Canadian Nationals though since she will have a multiple fall cushion over her competition at that event.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yeah, freeskates are just very dull when you know the winner before they even warmup.

WORD

At least it was close at the last Olympics. But if Yuna gets a 30 point lead again the whole thing will just be zzzzz

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think it's wise for Rochette to try a 3+3 in the SP here at the GPF. She can't afford to lose ground to Miki Ando at this competition. I think she should totally try the 3+3 at Canadian Nationals though since she will have a multiple fall cushion over her competition at that event.

Rochette doesn't need a 3-3...'nuff said.

i love to skate

Medalist
Joannie has said in a past interview that she isn't going to be trying the 3-3 anymore. She was planning to do it at Cup of China in the short and that's why she skated so poorly.

S

sleepyjl

WORD

At least it was close at the last Olympics. But if Yuna gets a 30 point lead again the whole thing will just be zzzzz

Not if you're like me, and you (re)gained interest in the sport because of Yuna. Michelle Kwan won most of the competitions she entered, but it didn't diminish any of the excitement of watching an artist in action. Same goes for Yuna. The better she performs, the more exciting it is to watch.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not if you're like me, and you (re)gained interest in the sport because of Yuna. Michelle Kwan won most of the competitions she entered, but it didn't diminish any of the excitement of watching an artist in action. Same goes for Yuna. The better she performs, the more exciting it is to watch.

I'd say my interest was at a high in 1998, and again in 2002 just after the Olympics (that's when I first found and registered on the boards). It went down somewhat after 2003, but still got thrills out of 2004 and 2005 Nationals/Worlds. In 2006 my interest wasn't quite at the heights it was in '02 (not sure why...maybe because the coverage wasn't live). Then, it's been on a downhill ride from there...no American ladies in contention...this says it all- it's an Olympic season and the height of it for me will actually be Spokane, not Vancouver...

Perhaps Sochi will be better.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I'd say my interest was at a high in 1998, and again in 2002 just after the Olympics (that's when I first found and registered on the boards). It went down somewhat after 2003, but still got thrills out of 2004 and 2005 Nationals/Worlds. In 2006 my interest wasn't quite at the heights it was in '02 (not sure why...maybe because the coverage wasn't live). Then, it's been on a downhill ride from there...no American ladies in contention...this says it all- it's an Olympic season and the height of it for me will actually be Spokane, not Vancouver...

Why only ladies? Why only American ladies?

S

sleepyjl

Then, it's been on a downhill ride from there...no American ladies in contention...this says it all- it's an Olympic season and the height of it for me will actually be Spokane, not Vancouver...

Therein lies the problem. Does figure skating have to be an exercise in nationalism? Can't you sit back and relish watching one of the best female skaters of all time? Whether she is American or not is immaterial.

In fact, if you can't get excited about a sport unless someone from the US is doing well, you're not really a figure skating fan. You're a fan of the US, and figure skating is just the vehicle for expressing your nationalism.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Why only ladies? Why only American ladies?

I can answer the first bit. Because the other disciplines simply don't interest me. There's really no other way to explain it. Men, pairs or dance- just not my thing. I couldn't like them even if I tried.

Figure88

On the Ice

No offense, but this is one of worst posts I've read here. I didn't know figure skating was exclusively an American sport. What a poor attitude.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Therein lies the problem. Does figure skating have to be an exercise in nationalism? Can't you sit back and relish watching one of the best female skaters of all time? Whether she is American or not is immaterial.

In fact, if you can't get excited about a sport unless someone from the US is doing well, you're not really a figure skating fan. You're a fan of the US, and figure skating is just the vehicle for expressing your nationalism.

There's more to it than that. I mean, for instance we have a male world champ but that won't make me pay attention to men's skating any time soon. I like ladies' skating IN GENERAL- but I simply like to support my fellow Americans. No harm in that (I think??)

The bigger issue goes waaaaay beyond nationalities. It's that there's no skater that I TRULY just HAVE to see. Most performances are very similar (thanks to the Cop) so there's not too much variety and thus less excitement in general for me. So I think this, coupled with the sudden lack of US contenders, has made me a little more US-focused than usual, to be quite honest.

Anyway, sorry for the digression. back OT-

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I've got to admit that if the ladies were the only discipline I were interested in, I wouldn't bother watching skating either the last couple years. Fortunately, I love the men, the pairs and dance!