Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 102

Thread: Practice Reports

  1. #76
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    That's.... sorta depressing, actually. But thanks for being honest.

  2. #77
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I'd say my interest was at a high in 1998, and again in 2002 just after the Olympics (that's when I first found and registered on the boards). It went down somewhat after 2003, but still got thrills out of 2004 and 2005 Nationals/Worlds. In 2006 my interest wasn't quite at the heights it was in '02 (not sure why...maybe because the coverage wasn't live). Then, it's been on a downhill ride from there...no American ladies in contention...this says it all- it's an Olympic season and the height of it for me will actually be Spokane, not Vancouver...

    Perhaps Sochi will be better.

    No offense, but this is one of worst posts I've read here. I didn't know figure skating was exclusively an American sport. What a poor attitude.

  3. #78
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    That's.... sorta depressing, actually. But thanks for being honest.
    np. Actually, when I go to an ice show I can enjoy all the acts performing. But for some reason I can't watch on TV

  4. #79
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjl View Post
    Therein lies the problem. Does figure skating have to be an exercise in nationalism? Can't you sit back and relish watching one of the best female skaters of all time? Whether she is American or not is immaterial.

    In fact, if you can't get excited about a sport unless someone from the US is doing well, you're not really a figure skating fan. You're a fan of the US, and figure skating is just the vehicle for expressing your nationalism.
    There's more to it than that. I mean, for instance we have a male world champ but that won't make me pay attention to men's skating any time soon. I like ladies' skating IN GENERAL- but I simply like to support my fellow Americans. No harm in that (I think??)

    The bigger issue goes waaaaay beyond nationalities. It's that there's no skater that I TRULY just HAVE to see. Most performances are very similar (thanks to the Cop) so there's not too much variety and thus less excitement in general for me. So I think this, coupled with the sudden lack of US contenders, has made me a little more US-focused than usual, to be quite honest.

    Anyway, sorry for the digression. back OT-
    Last edited by R.D.; 12-03-2009 at 09:46 PM.

  5. #80
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,957
    I've got to admit that if the ladies were the only discipline I were interested in, I wouldn't bother watching skating either the last couple years. Fortunately, I love the men, the pairs and dance!

  6. #81
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Why only ladies? Why only American ladies?
    Historically, Americans have been mostly interested in ladies because that is where we have had our biggest success. I mean there has been a US lady on the podium, except for after the plane crash, every Olympics for decades.

  7. #82
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    To help get the thread back OT (sort of), tweet from Ashley Wagner

    I had a nice warm up today..I'm looking forward to tonight..I just need to go out and skate like I do in practice and I'll be set!!

  8. #83
    "Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Storybrooke, Maine
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I've got to admit that if the ladies were the only discipline I were interested in, I wouldn't bother watching skating either the last couple years. Fortunately, I love the men, the pairs and dance!
    I have to agree! Generally, the ladies as a whole are the most shallow discipline competitively, IMO. It's the discipline that is the most predictable who the gold medal favorite is right now I think, which does take away the excitement of competition. Like you, it's fortunate that I love all the other disciplines, too.

  9. #84
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    It's the discipline that is the most predictable who the gold medal favorite is right now I think, which does take away the excitement of competition.
    ITA, but I (still) wouldn't have it any other way.

  10. #85
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    There's more to it than that. I mean, for instance we have a male world champ but that won't make me pay attention to men's skating any time soon. I like ladies' skating IN GENERAL- but I simply like to support my fellow Americans. No harm in that (I think??)

    The bigger issue goes waaaaay beyond nationalities. It's that there's no skater that I TRULY just HAVE to see. Most performances are very similar (thanks to the Cop) so there's not too much variety and thus less excitement in general for me.

    Anyway, sorry for the digression. back OT-
    We're all entitled to a few off-the-cuff statements that we wish we could take back. As I understand it, you're saying your interest is waning because of the new judging system, not because there aren't any American champs. I disagree (in my opinion Yuna is the most "Must-See" skater since Michelle Kwan), but that's a fair point.

  11. #86
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    Well, I can give you my observation. At the last few Olympics, the ladies' event was very predictable ..........

    ..................................... until they actually skated.

  12. #87
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjl View Post
    We're all entitled to a few off-the-cuff statements that we wish we could take back. As I understand it, you're saying your interest is waning because of the new judging system, not because there aren't any American champs. I disagree (in my opinion Yuna is the most "Must-See" skater since Michelle Kwan), but that's a fair point.
    Yes, sometimes I do get carried away (Usually I will either edit or delete the post in question)

    Actually, the truth is it's a little of everything. The new judging system, what I suspect to be shady judging in the GP, lack of US contenders, PLUS the fact that there is a dominant skater currently in the field. I *strongly dislike* predictable competitions. I can't sit down and pinpoint a particular cause. Everything I mentioned contributes in one way or the other.

    ETA: If you think Yuna is one of the greatest, that's fine, don't let my comments take anything away from that.
    Last edited by R.D.; 12-03-2009 at 10:03 PM.

  13. #88
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Well, I can give you my observation. At the last few Olympics, the ladies' event was very predictable ..........

    ..................................... until they actually skated.
    I hope that's what happens again!!!

  14. #89
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I hope that's what happens again!!!
    Really? I have to say that I sorta don't. The less predictable it is, the more likely for a scandal to arise, and I have to say that I don't want another scandal.

  15. #90
    "Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Storybrooke, Maine
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Well, I can give you my observation. At the last few Olympics, the ladies' event was very predictable ..........

    ..................................... until they actually skated.
    The HUGE difference is that Sarah Hughes had already beaten both Irina Slutskaya and Michelle Kwan at Skate Canada prior to the 2002 OG. Tara Lipinski had beaten Michelle Kwan numerous times prior to 1998 OG. Shizuka Arakawa had beaten Sasha Cohen and an ill Irina Slutskaya prior to the 2006 OG too. None of the current American ladies now competing have beaten Yu-Na Kim overall in a competition, and I don't see that changing given their level of talent compared to Yu-Na's.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •