Grand Prix Final OD | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final OD

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Streaming time 7:05 am

Universal Sports Pairs Short & OD, shown together. Check local schedule (mine is 7 pm)

Warm Up Group 1

Vanessa Crone & Paul Poirier
OD Flamenco (En Malaga performed by Roger Scannura )
High Score 50.87 at NHK (3rd in OD)
Low Score 48.45 at Rostelecom Cup (4th in OD)

NtMtSt2
RoLi4
SqTw3 (Level 4 at Rostelecom Cup)
DiSt3 (Level 2 at Rostelecom Cup)
Li+Trans

Sinead Kerr & John Kerr
OD American Country (I've Been Everywhere by Johnny Cash)
High Score on Grand Prix 56.53 at NHK (2nd in OD)
Low Score 54.73 on Grand Prix at Trophee Bompard (3rd in OD)

NtMtSt2
SqTw4
Sili4
CiSt3 (Level 2 at Trophee Bompard)

Anna Capellini & Luca Lanotte
OD Italian Folk Dance (Italian Folk Dance: Torna A Surriento; Italian Tarantella: La Danza by G. Rossini)
High Score 54.09 at Skate America (2nd in OD)
Low Score 52.58 at Rostelecom Cup (2nd in OD)

CiSt3 (Level 2 at Skate America)
SIL4
SqTw2 (Level 4 at Skate America)
NtMiSt3
Li+Trans

Warm Up Group 2

Nathalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat
OD American Country (Thank God, I’m a Country Boy by Roy
Rivers and Dolly Parton; It’s Not Over Now by Dale Watson )
High Score on Grand Prix at Trophee Bompard 56.34 (2nd in OD)
Low Score on Grand Prix at Skate Canada 56.05 (2nd in OD)

NtMiSt3
SILi4
CiSt4 (Level 3 at Skate Canada)
SqTw3
Li+Trans

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir
OD Flamenco (Farucas)
High Score 61.91 at Trophee Bompard (1st in OD)
Low Score 60.57 at Skate Canada (1st in OD)

CiSt3
SqTw4
CuLi4
NtMiSt3 (Level 2 at Skate Canada)
Li+Trans

Meryl Davis & Charlie White
OD Indian Dance (Kajra Re by Shankar-Ehseen-Loy; Slislla Ye Chaahat Ka by Sameer, Nusret Badr; Dola Re Dola by Sameer, Nusret Badr )
High score on Grand Prix: 63.09 at NHK (1st in OD)
Low score on Grand Prix: 62.21 at Rostelecom Cup (1st in OD)

NtMtSt4 (level 3 at Rostelecom Cup)
CuLi4
CiSt3
SqTw4
Li+Trans

Last edited:

Kinga

Medalist
Wow! Both V/M and D/W were great!
They made my day.
Lets see who takes first place after OD....

ETa: D/W: 65.80
V/M 64.01!

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
Wow I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought V/M score might signal a shift towards them from the judges. It will be interesting to see the protocols when they come out.

Well skated programs all around.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Congrats to Meryl & Charlie! :thumbsup: :rock: Nice PCS too.

And Tessa & Scott skated very well today! :clap:

But... it's not over yet.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Close score between D/W and V/M. Very happy for D/W I have a feeling that they will win this event.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Close score between D/W and V/M. Very happy for D/W I have a feeling that they will win this event.

I think so also as their FD is just as good at VM. They are not quite as strong in the CD but since that's not a part of this comp.....

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I tried, I really have, but I guess I will never understand what the judges see in D/W. I get that they are fast and technically strong, but IMO their speed isn't always used to advantage and often makes them look frantic and sloppy. TES, maybe, but I don't see how D/W can be first on every single program component. I just don't get any wow factor from their skating, and still think they are not as musical as other top teams. If I disliked this OD (other than the music) and Samson & Delilah, I'll never like them, will I?

I really hope V/M will still win this on the strength of their beautiful FD :).

I saw both P/B and K/K's ODs live and now online; K/K worked better for me as a live program and P/B I liked better today. I wonder why that is.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Don't know what to tell you, Buttercup, I guess if you don't like D/W, you just don't. It's just personal taste, there are skaters that I don't care for and I can't always know a reason why. Like the Germans S/S...I can appreciate what they do but I never get a happy feeling or chills like I do when I watch Shen/Zhao (or when I used to watch G/G).

That's the reason that I don't really like to be critical of skaters I don't like, I prefer to just cheer and support the ones I do.

So, go Meryl and Charlie! :clap::rock::bow::love:

herios

Medalist
I tried, I really have, but I guess I will never understand what the judges see in D/W. I get that they are fast and technically strong, but IMO their speed isn't always used to advantage and often makes them look frantic and sloppy. TES, maybe, but I don't see how D/W can be first on every single program component. I just don't get any wow factor from their skating, and still think they are not as musical as other top teams. If I disliked this OD (other than the music) and Samson & Delilah, I'll never like them, will I?

I really hope V/M will still win this on the strength of their beautiful FD :).

I saw both P/B and K/K's ODs live and now online; K/K worked better for me as a live program and P/B I liked better today. I wonder why that is.

I am Canadian, but I really appreciate the technical aspect of Meryll and Charlie's programs and how well they execute them. This season they were competition ready right of the gate. And it shows.
However, their FD is not that great. There is a lack of connection and a lot of frentic, fast movement which sometimes is hiding the lack of close holds.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow Meryl and Charlie lead? Nice. I hope they can hold onto the lead through the free!

enlight78

Medalist
If D/W win here do that put more pressure on them for nationals and the olympics or do it put more pressure on B/A for nationals and olympics

inside edge

On the Ice
Both V/M and D/W were great!
I appreciate the technical aspect of Meryl and Charlie's programs and their unusual music choice. Especially Meryl's presentation was so great as always:clap::clap:

Last edited:

Shaba22

Final Flight
1 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE USA 65.80:clap:
2 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN 64.01
3 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT FRA 56.93
4 Sinead KERR / John KERR GBR 56.47
5 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA 54.91
6 Vanessa CRONE / Paul POIRIER CAN 51.69

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
I really enjoyed and like Meryl + Charlie's SP. :love:
Especially the facial expression of Meryl in the beginning is just :bow::bow:

By the way, a friend of mine said they look like an Indian girl and a white tourist lol (not that he didn't like Charlie)

skatingbc

Final Flight
Didn't see this coming at all. I didn't think D/W would be ahead of V/M. After watching V/M though, while they may have skated technically well, I didn't get anything from them emotionally. It may be that I'm tired, watching it on YouTube, etc, but I didn't feel anything from them. Not too worried though. If Tessa and Scott skate their free dance like the did at SC, then Meryl and Charlie better watch out!

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
I would rather the placements stay the same if that's how the judges want to rule it, but the scores lower than have this panel of judges tell me that THAT skating by D/W and especially White, was a 65.80 performance. It wasn't. And on the pc's? V/M may have been slightly tired, but their unison and serious edge lean didn't really suffer. CW was a bit rough on the skate quality end but we're supposed to believe D/W exemplify the highest value of skating quality we've seen in years at this competition? From that performance they're the standard? That's just not true on the face of it from that skate. Unison mediocre (for this level of competition) and their edging was not superior. But suddenly they are what everyone needs to shoot for, not just scores, but basic skating. No way.