Custom Title
    1 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE USA 65.80
    2 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN 64.01
    3 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT FRA 56.93
    4 Sinead KERR / John KERR GBR 56.47
    5 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA 54.91
    6 Vanessa CRONE / Paul POIRIER CAN 51.69

Custom Title
    I really enjoyed and like Meryl + Charlie's SP.
    Especially the facial expression of Meryl in the beginning is just

By the way, a friend of mine said they look like an Indian girl and a white tourist lol (not that he didn't like Charlie)

Custom Title
    Didn't see this coming at all. I didn't think D/W would be ahead of V/M. After watching V/M though, while they may have skated technically well, I didn't get anything from them emotionally. It may be that I'm tired, watching it on YouTube, etc, but I didn't feel anything from them. Not too worried though. If Tessa and Scott skate their free dance like the did at SC, then Meryl and Charlie better watch out!

Custom Title
    I would rather the placements stay the same if that's how the judges want to rule it, but the scores lower than have this panel of judges tell me that THAT skating by D/W and especially White, was a 65.80 performance. It wasn't. And on the pc's? V/M may have been slightly tired, but their unison and serious edge lean didn't really suffer. CW was a bit rough on the skate quality end but we're supposed to believe D/W exemplify the highest value of skating quality we've seen in years at this competition? From that performance they're the standard? That's just not true on the face of it from that skate. Unison mediocre (for this level of competition) and their edging was not superior. But suddenly they are what everyone needs to shoot for, not just scores, but basic skating. No way.

At my computer watching Meryl and Charlie skate!
    Your opinion, nevergonnadance. I found D/W's edging to be superior, the quality of their skating high, and their unison is wonderful. I don't why it's so hard for some fans to believe that D/W are a very good ice dance team and the judges like what they see...a lot. But then again, from what I know from skating forums, a lot of folks think they know much more than the judges. But it's all opinions, it's all a matter of personal preference and taste, aesthetic value, and assorted reasons for liking or disliking a skater.

I think D/W are the best ice team I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy but that's just my opinion, too!

Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer View Post
    Your opinion, nevergonnadance. I found D/W's edging to be superior, the quality of their skating high, and their unison is wonderful. I don't why it's so hard for some fans to believe that D/W are a very good ice dance team and the judges like what they see...a lot. But then again, from what I know from skating forums, a lot of folks think they know much more than the judges. But it's all opinions, it's all a matter of personal preference and taste, aesthetic value, and assorted reasons for liking or disliking a skater.

I think D/W are the best ice team I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy but that's just my opinion, too!
    What I like about Davis / White is that they look so natural out there. They are not overly stylised, they seem to have serious fun, it's so flowing... With V/M I have the feeling that they are somehow trying too hard. As if they have this list of really high goals (be always elegant, be always classical, no crazy ideas, wear only elegant - for Moir manly - clothing etc.) and it makes their performances seem calculated, even their FD, that in my opinion is great - but would look so much better with some more emotional abandon in it. Maybe I am also negatively influenced by Moir's remarks from SC.

I simply prefer the two US-Americans, who seem fun, who seem to enjoy themselves out there, who seem quirky at times - even with their rather unimaginative FD.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Virtue/Moir's Circular steps are amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    But they are skating to a serious FLAMENCO, not a fun loving quirky routine like the Kerrs and Italians or anything with humour...so would it help to change that perception if they skated to something cheesy and cringeworthy even if the program sucks?
    But can't you skate to something serious without making it look like you are currently trying to repaint the Mona Lisa? Flamenco is serious, but neither Pechalat/Bourzat's Flamenco a few years ago, nor Lambiel's Flamenco looked that serious. To me it sometimes look as if they try to do everything the right, the best way - and that the emotional impact suffers from that.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I'm so ecstatic to see Meryl and Charlie in 1st place after the OD . . . so well deserved! It doesn't quite make up for their being wuzrobbed of a World medal last season, but it certainly will be a very strong statement if they win this GPF heading into U.S. Nationals. How amazing it would be if they could upset Belbin/Agosto and establish themselves as the top American team going into the Olympics, which I already think they are, but it's nice that the judges are FINALLY starting to reward them. GO D/W!!!

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Meryl & Charlie's program gives me the chills!!!
    I love it! When the OD was over, I had to go back and watch it three times in a row. It's a unique, difficult and beautiful dance and they keep the energy waay up throughout the whole thing. Tessa & Scott are amazing, but like it was said before, I just don't get the same sense of freedom and love of skating itself from their programs as I do from D&W.
    Whatever the score, D&W very, very much deserved this OD in my opinion.

Custom Title
    By the way, I was shocked when I saw the picture of D/W on the front page of icenetwork. Don't they have a better picture, or does the website designer simply hate D/W?

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Gee, I can't believe anyone could fault Scott on his manly costumes. Bring on more manly costumes !

nevergonnadance
    , that last post was so well put. I'm always interested in what you have to say, likewise with dorispulaski , mathman (oh the numbers!) and others. I've never skated, except recreationally, but have been a serious follower of this sport for longer than ( probably) some of our members have been alive.I do have a long history with various forms of dance. Anyway, while I have a pretty well trained eye (after 30+ years), I don't always have the technical terminology to express my thoughts.And even if I did , then there's trying to understand the judges.....I must like a challenge... I'm still watching.

I like D/W very much and enjoy their enthusiasm, but generally,they don't seem to me to quite come up to V/M's technical expertise. I thought that almost two points difference seemed a bit much , particularly since I thought D/W skated the program better in previous outings. And I fully expect to see further refinement to V/M's OD ( it has been their m.o.)...what will the judges do with that ?
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 12-03-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Custom Title
    I'm more excited by how close P/B and K/K are.

Custom Title

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    What I like about Davis / White is that they look so natural out there. They are not overly stylised, they seem to have serious fun, it's so flowing... With V/M I have the feeling that they are somehow trying too hard. As if they have this list of really high goals (be always elegant, be always classical, no crazy ideas, wear only elegant - for Moir manly - clothing etc.) and it makes their performances seem calculated, even their FD, that in my opinion is great - but would look so much better with some more emotional abandon in it. Maybe I am also negatively influenced by Moir's remarks from SC.

I simply prefer the two US-Americans, who seem fun, who seem to enjoy themselves out there, who seem quirky at times - even with their rather unimaginative FD.
    ITA
    Maybe I am also negatively influenced by Moir's remarks from SC.
    I understand what you mean

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast