Best/Worst Tears Before/ After a Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best/Worst Tears Before/ After a Skate

amateur

Final Flight
Of course what really happened was that her coach, Carlo Fassi told Dorothy that he tried hard - but could only arrange the Silver medal for her. And that is why Dorothy lost control. ;) :p

Why on earth would any coach tell this to their athlete, and right before their performance, at that????

Oh wait a minute.. I had initially read this as "he could only imagine the silver medal for her".. but in fact you say he could only arrange the silver.. now I think I'm even more confused!

Last edited:

amateur

Final Flight
Lu Chen's LP perfromance from '98 Nagano makes me cry right along with her! That is one of my very favourite performances from my entire 18 years as a skating fan, despite not being technically perfect. :bow:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Why on earth would any coach tell this to their athlete, and right before their performance, at that????

Oh wait a minute.. I had initially read this as "he could only imagine the silver medal for her".. but in fact you say he could only arrange the silver.. now I think I'm even more confused!

arrange? like in talk to the judges in the back alley? Very odd.

janetfan

Match Penalty

I was kidding and thus the " ;)"

Saddest tears before a skate- Tai Babilonia crying her eyes out when she and Randy had to withdraw at Lake Placid due to his groin injury. I loved them.

I don't think there are any clips of that but I watched it on TV as it happened. Was definitely the saddest moment for me too. Randy and Tai were always my favorites.

Ituriel

On the Ice
Tears after Skate??

John Kerr in the Euros... :love:

and the funny quote from the spanish conmentator

"Y él, que es más blandito, llora, pobre..."

And he, who is more emotional, cry, poor..." :laugh:

Wicked

Final Flight
I don't think there are any clips of that but I watched it on TV as it happened. Was definitely the saddest moment for me too. Randy and Tai were always my favorites.

I remember it live too. :disapp:

Wicked

Final Flight
How 'bout best tears during a skate?

Michelle during her Fields of Gold ex at the Olys in 2002.

And who could forget Tonya crying during her SP in '94 and stopping her program?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I always found the similarities and differences between the men's and ladies' podium at Torino interesting.

Both podiums had winners that seemed calm and cool as cucumbers.

However, the ladies' silver and bronze medalists were visibly disappointed.

The mens' silver and bronze medalists, on the other hand, looked completely thrilled (oh how I love a happy podium--Lambiel was literally crying tears of happiness).

Lambiel is so cute in that video (and so is Buttle). I love that he kept it together until the medal was around his neck, and then the audience really goes wild for him and he loses it a little bit.

MKFSfan

Medalist
You guys already named so many wonderful moments! One that always makes me catch y breath and tear up is Michelle after "Tosca" at 2004 Nationals. The last part of her LP was SO passionate, so "blow the roof off." There was an air of conviction, satisfaction, so..."YOU wrote me off???? Top that!" As she hit her final pose and punched the air, then yanked her head up in this intense stare, before she broke into tears...Ahhh...just got chills thinking of it...gets me every time!

I also adore Fumie after I THINK 2006 Nationals??? I don't recall, but I vividly remember tearing up along with her and she was wearing a beige dress. She had just skated very well after basically being written off in favor of all the hot up coming skaters.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Sweet Tears from Alissa

Here is Alissa's LP from last year's Natls.

The tears are some of my favorites - as they were tears of joy from one of my favorite skaters. :love:

However this year's Natls turns out I am glad Alissa had this moment and won the US Ladies Championship last season.

"Good things happen to good people" was the perfect call from Scott Hamilton when it was announced that Alissa had won.

The tears begin after 7:30 on the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hJk-vTcdjg

Last edited:
Thanks, Janetfan! I watched Czisny's program and the aftermath with great delight. She is such a distinctive skater, and the things she's good at look better than virtually anyone elses's attempts. Her spins, for example, aren't just "lovely." They're completely awesome. I swear they accelerate as they go on. Has she solved the mystery of perpetual motion?

A thoroughly satisfying championship. However she does this year, she will always have that peak moment, and that title.

Layfan

Record Breaker
You guys already named so many wonderful moments! One that always makes me catch y breath and tear up is Michelle after "Tosca" at 2004 Nationals. The last part of her LP was SO passionate, so "blow the roof off." There was an air of conviction, satisfaction, so..."YOU wrote me off???? Top that!" As she hit her final pose and punched the air, then yanked her head up in this intense stare, before she broke into tears...Ahhh...just got chills thinking of it...gets me every time!

I also adore Fumie after I THINK 2006 Nationals??? I don't recall, but I vividly remember tearing up along with her and she was wearing a beige dress. She had just skated very well after basically being written off in favor of all the hot up coming skaters.

I was going to say Michelle at 2004 Nationals!! You beat me. :p That's the program I watch most often, followed closely by her 2003 worlds LP.

But the most over-top-uncontrolled tears of joy prize goes without a doubt to Oksana Baiul at the 1994 Olympics. I tried to find a youtube link but couldn't. Must have been taken down. They all stop before the kiss-and-cry.

Here is Alissa's LP from last year's Natls.

The tears are some of my favorites - as they were tears of joy from one of my favorite skaters. :love:

However this year's Natls turns out I am glad Alissa had this moment and won the US Ladies Championship last season.

"Good things happen to good people" was the perfect call from Scott Hamilton when it was announced that Alissa had won.

The tears begin after 7:30 on the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hJk-vTcdjg

Awww. I could watch that moment over and over again. Her smile - it makes you want to know her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Tears of Joy:

Elizabeth Manley at the Calgary 1988 Olympics. Liz was not even on the radar for a podium finish, but she had the skate of the night in the ladies and brought the house down. The battle was supposed to be between Katarina Witt and Debbie Thomas, but it was Elizabeth Manley who stole the show and took home the Silver medal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=724KxD8qakA

Tears of pain:

Kurt Browning at the 1994 Olympics - it just was not a great time for Kurt. He really felt that he let Canada down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3b8ss4t7N4

Heartbreak:

Brian Orser at the Calgary 1988 Olympics - after learning from David Santee of the US that he came second to Brian Boitano. It was very insensitive the way David Santee informed Brian. The marks were so close - it could have gone either way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ4BLCff93M

Nadia01

Final Flight
Here are tears, just a few, from the Torino Ladies medal ceremony. Interesting watching a cool Shiz, a figeting Sasha and a sad and tearful Irina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFX59GhYljk

Shiz is awesome. I'm so happy she won.

She became the national heroine overnight b/c that year, Japan got NO MEDAL at the Olympics except for her gold, and nobody in Japan thought she'd medal. You have no idea the kind of media madness that went on after her win. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tears of pain:

Kurt Browning at the 1994 Olympics - it just was not a great time for Kurt. He really felt that he let Canada down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3b8ss4t7N4

Rod was just as insensitive, IMHO, to Kurt trying not to break down as David Santee was... in Rod's case, though, he's a career commentator where as David was a skater doing the expert commentator thing...

Rod wouldn't let it go and wanted Kurt's raw emotion... says more about Kurt than Rod, IMHO (makes me sad, too, because I like Rod)