Grand Prix Final: Mens SP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final: Mens SP

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I just viewed the Mens SP on IN on Demand. WOW Dai and Evan!!
Excellent skating also from Weir and Oda. Off nights for Jeremy and Tomas, I am sure they will do better in the LP. Don't you just love watching the men, lord there was so much talent in that arena, it was crackling.

beep_beep

Medalist
I'm just watching it on CCTV.

Question: how on earth did Lysacek's score get so close to Takahashi's?
Taka was *superior*

ETA: And how is he ahead of Oda too?

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm just watching it on CCTV.

Question: how on earth did Lysacek's score get so close to Takahashi's?
Taka was *superior*

ETA: And how is he ahead of Oda too?

Maybe watch a second time without so much bias and you will see that Evan skated well today.:)

janetfan

Match Penalty
The scores are getting pretty ridicolous anyway. A shame about Tomas and Jeremy. I do really like Jeremy's SP although he is generally not one of my real favourites.

I'm still undecided as to the skaters my bias should be directed at. Somehow Plushy sentimentally grows on me. Evan is definitely in the mix. :biggrin:

I think Euros feel about Evan the way many Americans used to feel about Irina. We did not like her style as much as Michelle or Sasha but knew she was a threat to win at every event she competetd at.

Last edited:

Binthere

On the Ice
While I think the men are skating impressively and this in itself is great to see, I wouldn't doubt that there is some degree of Olympic year excitement or maybe "grade inflation" going on, maybe even subconsciously. Isn't it "exciting" in the year that the sport has more than average "attention" from non-dedicated hardcore skating fans that "new World Records" are being set? ;)

I would bet scores will reset lower starting next season. In the mean time, I will root for great skating. Judging as we know is judging.

Nadia01

Final Flight
SP scores seem very high, but at the same time I think everyone (except Tomas & Jeremy) did great and I agree w/ the placement. :agree:

merrybari

Final Flight
Maybe watch a second time without so much bias and you will see that Evan skated well today.:)

Well said! :agree:

Superb performances by the top 4! ALL programs fun to watch! What a year!! Olympic by any definition in that we never know WHAT is going to happen! ANYthing is possible!!

Bring on the free!! We're in for something REALLY special!!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Superb performances by the top 4! ALL programs fun to watch! What a year!! Olympic by any definition in that we never know WHAT is going to happen! ANYthing is possible!!

Bring on the free!! We're in for something REALLY special!!
I see that even you do not suggest the scoring made much sense ;). I have to give you credit here, merrybari - this has not been the kindest thread to Evan (myself included, and I stand by what I wrote). If I were in your situation, I'd be tempted to be, well, a lot less nice.

I hope to see some great LPs tomorrow, and I also hope it'll be scored properly. And better luck to Tomas! I wonder if he's really healthy and prepared?

Last edited:

Ximena

Final Flight
why did johnny only score 84? when his jumps were i think just as good as the others if not better...and his program was as solid as the others.

anyone have any ideas?

I love Johnny and I'm so happy he made everything counts but I think his problem is going to be that PCS marks because he does not a single transition on his program and that takes also from his CH mark, he is losing a point or so comparing to the others.

Daisuke had a fantastic program, so good for him to see him back.

And Oda, yes, apparently judges are note ready for Oda, maybe on the FS they would mark him even lower on PCS because I do believe he is going to beat them all in TES.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
This is going to be another nail biting freeskate. I have to say that all Evan and Frank's worry over the quad all these years has been unfounded. If he can get a world championship without one he is set for life. No need for any quad in the near future.

Predictions for free:

oda
Evan
takahashi
wier
Abbott
verner

merrybari

Final Flight
I have to give you credit here, merrybari - this has not been the kindest thread to Evan (myself included, and I stand by what I wrote). If I were in your situation, I'd be tempted to be, well, a lot less nice.

I hope to see some great LPs tomorrow, and I also hope it'll be scored properly. And better luck to Tomas! I wonder if he's really healthy and prepared?

Thanks buttercup! It's not easy being an Evan fan around here! Despite that, I respect the hard work that all the athletes devote to honing their craft! I find no need or reason to be unkind!

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
I think Euros feel about Evan the way many Americans used to feel about Irina. We did not like her style as much as Michelle or Sasha but knew she was a threat to win at every event she competetd at.

Trust me, there are people outside of Europe who don't like Evan's style, either.

But I admit he skated well today even if I don't agree with his scores and rotated his jumps properly.

Last edited:

taylorfax

On the Ice
Johnny`s step sequences aren't complex enough.
hah Just because one makes it look easy, doesn't actually make it easy. After all, his skating style has always been that, airy and light. He has had great footwork in both programs this year, steps are level 3.
I demand to see the pdf scores for this baby. ;)
Even though I suspect I already know what this is, the fact that he skated earlier. Classic figure skating judging.

Sir Lysacek has some funny scores however. And I thought they were funny when he got 79 for a SP with no proper 3A or quad. ;)

Ah, enough scores ranting. Great competition.

deedeelocks

Rinkside
I think not...
about a week ago he really wasn't fit yet (and I was worried!) He's usually very strong in practice and he heard he wasn't up till now in Japan. He also admitted in Czech press before the event that he wasn't at 100%.
I think the pops are a combination of not being fit and perhaps this didn't help for his mental strength either...plus, if you're not fit and you have to skate right after the warm-up? I don't think that's ideal either...and he doesn't like that to begin with...!

schiele

Final Flight
I think not...
about a week ago he really wasn't fit yet (and I was worried!) He's usually very strong in practice and he heard he wasn't up till now in Japan. He also admitted in Czech press before the event that he wasn't at 100%.
I think the pops are a combination of not being fit and perhaps this didn't help for his mental strength either...plus, if you're not fit and you have to skate right after the warm-up? I don't think that's ideal either...and he doesn't like that to begin with...!

Yes I know but I thought he looked more fit in SA with that damn flu than here.. I was so disappointed with these pops, especially since that 4T 3T was an absolute beauty, the best I've seen him do.. So falling apart after that only shows nerves overtaking you due to perfectionism and expectations.. Which I feel like is back to square one for Tomas. I am just so unhappy.. I hope he's hit with a magical wand or smth tonight and wakes up tomorrow all confident.. :yes::yes:
On the other hand, I am also rooting for Oda, I hope he overtakes them all with the Chaplin magic, the best programme I've seen so far this season.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

deedeelocks

Rinkside
So falling apart after that only shows nerves overtaking you due to perfectionism and expectations..
maybe, maybe not. I can speculate a lot (about what I think and thinking about things in the past etc.) but in fact, I know nothing right now :p
I just know that a week ago, he really wasn't fit yet, and he said to Czech press too, that he wasn't 100% ... and I do think this had some influence...either physically, mentally, or both.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I got back and watched tonight taka's and weir's program 3 times in a row. I soooo liked them, Weir just flies and Taka... i think his performance is one for the ages!!!
I just wanted to end the day with a positive vibe :) cause concerning gpf i was all day girl_hysteric.gif
now i m fine :D

macemace1980

Rinkside
I am happy for Daiske & Evan.
Both of them were wonderful today!

Looking forward to watching LPs. I love all their LPs especially Evan's.
I feel really sad Brian isn't at GPF though.