Grand Prix Final: Ladies SP | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final: Ladies SP

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
I can't agree with you more about this DG issue. It's unfair and shameful. I honestly think that if Yuna should be punished with downgrades on her beautiful 3-3, then no one should ever get full credit for her 3-3. I asked earlier if there was an example of a better 3-3 than Yuna's and no one has replied. The simple truth is that Yuna's 3-3 is perfect, and it will always be.
I, too, don't care about her score, because it is true that she missed the 3Flip. However, the fact that she got DG really depresses me.

Why don't they go ahead and give level 1 for Caroline and Alissa's spin and spiral sequence? :rock: Woo hoo

1. Couldn't find hers without the extra, though, UR 3loop but none the less a beautiful 3-3 (-3):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SauJKulmYlU&feature=related

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXOyulOyTW0

A plethora of some good looking 3-3. (Some others not counting, despite all being ratified)

2. Life carries on.

3. They already have for Caroline. Look at previous protocols.

Good night!

Last edited:

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Sigh, I will have to pull an all nighter in order to watch pairs, mens and ladies...
Glad that it's saturday tho..
Just hope everyone will get what they deserve.

Last edited:

rossdale

Match Penalty
Rossdale, can't you see that some people here are in fact absolutely thrilled that Yuna got downgrades? Why do you think Yuna is the only one who has "Is Yuna's score inflated" thread....? :rofl:

I can't agree with you more about this DG issue. It's unfair and shameful. I honestly think that if Yuna should be punished with downgrades on her beautiful 3-3, then no one should ever get full credit for her 3-3. I asked earlier if there was an example of a better 3-3 than Yuna's and no one has replied. The simple truth is that Yuna's 3-3 is perfect, and it will always be. It is not just my personal opinion, and I have quotes to back it up from Shizuka Arakawa, Kristi Yamaguki, Scott Hamilton, Michelle Kwan, etc. I am sure these people know about skating just a little. lol

I, too, don't care about her score, because it is true that she missed the 3Flip. However, the fact that she got DG really depresses me.

Why don't they go ahead and give level 1 for Caroline and Alissa's spin and spiral sequence? :rock: Woo hoo
'''
figurejennah

Now I am SO~~~ relieved that you agree with unfairness of DG.

Let me tell you my answer to your question
<Why do you think Yuna is the only one who has "Is Yuna's score inflated" thread....? :rofl: >
Yuna is the only one who get such treads because she gets the highest score everytime she competes. She is almost unbeatable. I feel pity for other skaters. I gotta tell you that I think Mao is really an unlucky lady. She could have been anunbeatable champion if she were born in differnt time.

In my opinion, Yuna's score is not inflated at all. However, I do not want to force other people to agree with me. You know why? It is like comparing D color diamond to F color diamonds. They look identical for people who can not discern the values. However, they are top to bottom in term of prices for GIA experts. ^^

figurejennah, You love figure skating, dont you? Have you ever seen Yuna's game in live? If not, I would like to suggest to do so. I was not one of her fans till I saw her in SA2008. I hope she attends SA one more time in 2010 so that I can watch her games again. This time I could not go to Lake Placide

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sigh, I will have to pull an all nighter in order to watch pairs, mens and ladies...
Glad that it's saturday tho..
Just hope everyone will get what they deserve.

I think I'll just wake up and go through the LP thread, like always :p

I kinda know what's gonna happen, anyway...

But one can suspect that high PCS is possibly given to compensate low TES.

Sometimes. But I think it also happens that a top skater will simply get uniformly high component scores, which do not necessarily go down much on the occasions where the skater misses some of her technical elements.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
There is also Carolina's FANTASTIC 3-3 from 2007 Worlds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qSCT15IRpU

That was beautiful, if only Carolina skated like that every time. I remember her horrific long program from last year, she singled almost every jump! And after a good SP performance too... I wonder if she maybe has bad nerves/anxiety issues that cause her inconsistency. Then again, the European ladies love to double jumps and fall, but at least they're all tall and pretty to make up for it :laugh: (joking obviously, though sometimes I wonder...)

All of Miki's dresses are very pretty, I like how she and Yuna have long skirts on their dresses, it makes them look more like real costumes.

Also, I did a doubletake when I watched Alena skate, from her hair, to her costume, to her build, to her style and expression, she just like Irina Slutskaya. Maybe that's why people are making such a fuss about her, she could be the next Irina!

french quarter

Rinkside
What Orser had to say

Brian Orser has said in an interview he had today that he took a look at the triple-triple in different angles, but that it was difficult to understand the downgrade, saying that the combination was perfect. He also said there had been controversial calls before, and although it might be easy to blame the panel, it is more important to learn more (about how to deal with this), he said.

Basics

On the Ice
Sorry, but I disagree. Yu-Na singling a planned triple and being downgraded on a triple+triple attempt and still being less than 1 point close to a clean Miki Ando is just plain wrong. It's not like Miki is the same calibre as someone like Mira Leung or Tugba Karademir. She's a former world champ and the reigning world bronze medalist for crying out loud. Kim is not that much better a skater than Ando, IMO.

well, It's because some "let's overscore" judge panels were very generous to Yuna by giving her +1.6 GOE to her terribly underroated 3-3 combo, and Miki only recieved +1.6 GOE with her absolutely fantastic 3-2 combo, well some say 3-1. :mad:

figurejennah

On the Ice
'''

figurejennah, You love figure skating, dont you? Have you ever seen Yuna's game in live? If not, I would like to suggest to do so. I was not one of her fans till I saw her in SA2008. I hope she attends SA one more time in 2010 so that I can watch her games again. This time I could not go to Lake Placide

I did go see her at 2009 SA. :) Oh that was so worth the trip!!!
After Kwan retired, I really never paid attention to figure skating.
But it's quite weird that in December 2007, while having dinner at a sushi restaurant, I saw Yuna's legendary tango sp (I am sure the chefs had it on for
Mao and Miki), and then fell in love with Yuna.

Yuna is just incredible. I never understood why Scott Hamilton wouldn't shut up about how amazing it is to see her live, but yeah now I know. lol.

magicalwords

On the Ice
Brian Orser has said in an interview he had today that he took a look at the triple-triple in different angles, but that it was difficult to understand the downgrade, saying that the combination was perfect. He also said there had been controversial calls before, and although it might be easy to blame the panel, it is more important to learn more (about how to deal with this), he said.

Orser is a great coach.
I'm glad Yu-Na has someone like Orser at times like this.

sjwh08

Rinkside
I do hope the tech team gets penalized. Power (which is currently too much for the tech team IMO) should come with some responsibility, and this kind of mistakes shouldn't be just forgiven & forgotten. Skaters practice their hearts out and this is just not right.

I only remember Yuna's case because the last yr's flip edge call this this DG seem most too obviously absurd ones to me, are given by the same caller, and are confirmed to be wrong by Orser. But now that I'm losing my confidence on the tech calling system, I kinda suspect there must be some patterns of wrong calls for other skaters, which could be either unfairly disadvantageous ones or unfairly advantage ones. I don't have any will or energy to dig them out though.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It's true that Yu-Na's score was too high if you consider the retarded downgrade she received. She is overinflated in several areas of her score, even if she IS probably the most talented lady skating today.

Her score was accurate for the performance she actually gave, though. 65 points with a popped jump is fine, when you consider her amazing 3-3. I would have put her ahead of Miki (who made a mistake on the Layback, remember).

All in all...I wish the edge call idiocy on Yu-Na's Flip wouldn't have happened last year. She should be doing a 3Flip-3Toe combo and a 3Lutz out of footwork, as she always has.

These calls are like Michelle Kwan being told that her Spiral Sequence deserves a penalty.

It simply makes no sense at all and, as a skater, when you are told that one of your BEST elements is actually flawed (when it really isn't)...that seriously messes with your head.

I just wish she will go back to that for Vancouver. Even IF she gets an edge can (which I doubt she will...favorite at the olympics for god's sake) it is better than falling or popping both of which she has done with the solo flip this season.

BTW that bond program is really growing on me. So nice to hear something familiar yet new. Yet I keep wishing she would wear her hair in a high ponytail. The bun is too uptight for Bond.

aurora100

Final Flight
I'm glad Baiul got gold over Kerrigan. She deserved it and I didn't like Kerrigan's bad attitude (especially about Mickey Mouse).

Having watched Yuna's SP in the highest quality I could find on YT, I thought it was a fine performance except for the popped 3F. I don't see how they can call the 3T part of 3Lz/3T combo under rotated. It was a very good jump. Definitely a bad call. But it is what it is. In the kiss and cry, both Yuna and Brian looked a bit surprised by the score. I can't blame them. Nevertheless, I hope this will be a catalyst for Yuna to go all out and smoke the free skate with massive fire. Kick butt tomorrow and show that fire in your belly, Yuna!

My feeling exactly. This is a sport and especially in Olympic skating, the skaters have to fight and show their mettle. Landing the jumps when the heads are full of negatives voices and legs feel like jelly. All Olympic champions have had to do it. Yuna has not shown that so far in many of her competitions. She has done well even when she makes mistakes but this is an Olympic season and the fighters have the edge. I don't know if she will be able to do that in this GPF free. Mike Ando on the other hand is always in the fighting mode. Scratching and scraping her way to the podium. She did that at the Worlds last year. I think Yuna is an enormous skater. But she needs to learn to fight sooner or later. Or she will not be able to do it at the Olympics.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
OK. What's this I'm hearing about Kim's music being meddled with? Some fans have been analyzing the GPF music and that from TEB and SA and claim that the music leading up to the 3F and the last part (before she spins& then shoots) had quickened (about 1.25 seconds quicker). 1.25 may not sound like much, but apparently that makes all the difference when it comes to timing.

I'm not prone to follow bot conspiracies (although I love Kim, I try to remain objective and discerning), but I did some investigation myself. The music is slightly different. Did the Dream Team change it? Maybe that's what messed her up? (And no, Korean fans, I don't think the Japanese Fed did ANYTHING to it, so don't try to theorize here.)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I do hope the tech team gets penalized. Power (which is currently too much for the tech team IMO) should come with some responsibility, and this kind of mistakes shouldn't be just forgiven & forgotten. Skaters practice their hearts out and this is just not right.

Two weeks ago we had the toughest tech team ever at SC and now they are handing out SB like candy. Was Miki's SP really 6 points better than in Russia even with the botched spin? hmmmm.

I'm glad Baiul got gold over Kerrigan. She deserved it and I didn't like Kerrigan's bad attitude (especially about Mickey Mouse).

Mickey mouse? do tell!