Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Tears Before/ After a Skate

Best/Worst Tears Before/ After a Skate

Here is something I remember from years ago.
    It is 17 year old Dorothy Hamill getting hysterical before she had to skate her LP at 1974 Worlds.

The announcer will try and tell you that Dorothy was upset because as she was warming up the marks for the hometown German girl came up and the crowd thought they were too low. Dorothy thought the crowd was booing her and immediately went into Princess mode and had to leave the ice.

Of course what really happened was that her coach, Carlo Fassi told Dorothy that he tried hard - but could only arrange the Silver medal for her. And that is why Dorothy lost control.

But she actually recovered quickly enough and skated a good program.
    Check out her delayed 1A. I miss that jump and Dorothy had a great one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ5ZzsUX8nM

Any other tearful programs appreciated, with the link and the story behind it.
    Last edited by janetfan; 12-03-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Mirai's LP from last years nationals. Coming in the defending champion with an injured leg and a new grown up body, it was going to be a tough fight but then when she fell against the boards in the short she was so upset. I remember she was crying before she took the ice for the long, she REALLY looked like she didn't want to go out there, then she did and she nailed every jump and was so happy at the end. Her leg was wrapped too. Such a good lesson for any teenager today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW8CLlmzOPs

love this girl!

Down With It
    I was going to mention Nagasu as well.

Does Ando's tears after her WD from Worlds count as "worst"?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Oda used to cry after every skate, AFAIR?

Tripping on the Podium Narumi1997's Avatar
    Fusar-Poli after Olys FD
    and Tanith after 09 World FD
    Mao after 07 Worlds FS
    Daisuke Takahashi after 07 Worlds FS
    (boohoohoo... crying skaters)
    quote by my room mate

Here are tears, just a few, from the Torino Ladies medal ceremony. Interesting watching a cool Shiz, a figeting Sasha and a sad and tearful Irina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFX59GhYljk

Custom Title
    Love Shizuka's reaction. She SO deserved taht gold and got the job done. Good girl!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Here are tears, just a few, from the Torino Ladies medal ceremony. Interesting watching a cool Shiz, a figeting Sasha and a sad and tearful Irina.

You know, thanks for posting that- I've been looking for it in NBC HD for a while now...

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    You know, thanks for posting that- I've been looking for it in NBC HD for a while now...
    Glad to help you out RD.

Does anyone have a clip of Oksana crying after 93 Worlds or 94 Olympics?

She could be a real contender as she "cried long and cried often."

14 year old Michelle after her LP at '95 Worlds had some major league tears but I think she was letting out tension and her tears appeared to be happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHsor...rom=PL&index=3
    Last edited by janetfan; 12-03-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Johnny Weir's devastated tears in Spokane in 2007
    and his triumphant tears a year later in St. Paul DURING his program

I'm not a fan of Weir's... but those were incredibly emotional moments

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Johnny Weir's devastated tears in Spokane in 2007
    and his triumphant tears a year later in St. Paul DURING his program

I'm not a fan of Weir's... but those were incredibly emotional moments
    I am not a fan either - but since it is an Olympic year I am trying to be nice.

Was wondering - do you remember the haunted look on Scott's face at the '84 podium ceremony. He looked so stressed, like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

according to his book scott's podium moment had him thinking of his mother... she'd made a statement to the local paper when he won his first local competition saying he'd make the olympic podium one day, and he finally made good on her statement...

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post

thanks for posting that. I just can't bear to watch Sasha there. She looks like she wants to curl up in a ball and cry.

Custom Title
    Without a doubt, add Surya Bonaly's unsportsmanlike performance on the podium at Worlds in I think 1994. Yuka Sato won on home soil in Japan. When the medalists stood on the podium, Bonaly, in tears, actually took the silver medal from around her neck. I've never seen the like before or since. I'm a huge Yuka Sato fan, so I was thrilled that Yuka had won and was annoyed at Bonaly. But the intervening years have mellowed my outlook, and I realize that Bonaly didn't have an easy time in skating. Her jumps were very athletic and acrobatic--she had been a tumbling champion--but her stroking and interpretation were never considered up to par. Nonetheless, there must always have been the haunting question of whether her race might be an extra factor in judges' evaluation of her, and I think it sharpened her resentment at being a perennial second to other skaters.

Custom Title
    Best- MK after her magnificent long program in DC 2003. This is probably the skating program I've watched the most. Even watching a low quality youtube version is an uplifting, inspiring experience.

Worst- Oda. I admit I'm biased against him, as I'm rooting for Daisuke, but boy oh boy do I find his incessant bawling irritating. There is a fine line between happy tears and crying like a child who was just told to eat broccoli.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast