Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: JGPF Ice Dance

Custom Title
    Monko/Khaliavin won. Not that they aren't a great team - wonderful footwork, but IMHO, Ilinykh/Katsalapov were absolutely the class of the field tonight and deserved the win. Shibutanis are good, but that choreography is amazingly open. No holds at all.

At least I/K deservingly got the highests PCS.

Custom Title
    Final results:

1 Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN
    RUS
    141.21 1 1
    2 Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV
    RUS
    139.36 3 2
    3 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
    USA
    138.75 2 3
    4 Kharis RALPH / Asher HILL
    CAN
    124.75 4 4
    5 Ekaterina PUSHKASH / Jonathan GUERREIRO
    RUS
    119.50 5 5
    6 Isabella CANNUSCIO / Ian LORELLO
    USA
    118.11 6 6
    7 Lorenza ALESSANDRINI / Simone VATURI
    ITA
    106.78 8 7
    8 Marina ANTIPOVA / Artem KUDASHEV
    RUS
    106.69 7 8

FD:

1 Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN RUS 85.51 42.80 42.71 7.20 6.95 7.20 7.15 7.20 0.00 #8
    2 Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS 85.01 42.20 42.81 7.10 6.90 7.15 7.30 7.40 0.00 #6
    3 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA 83.54 41.50 42.04 7.05 6.90 7.05 7.00 7.10 0.00 #7
    4 Kharis RALPH / Asher HILL CAN 75.91 39.50 36.41 6.05 5.80 6.10 6.25 6.35 0.00 #5
    5 Ekaterina PUSHKASH / Jonathan GUERREIRO RUS 72.82 36.70 36.12 6.05 5.75 6.00 6.25 6.25 0.00 #4
    6 Isabella CANNUSCIO / Ian LORELLO USA 71.63 38.20 33.43 5.60 5.50 5.45 5.55 5.80 0.00 #3
    7 Lorenza ALESSANDRINI / Simone VATURI ITA 67.75 34.40 33.35 5.55 5.35 5.55 5.80 5.70 0.00 #1
    8 Marina ANTIPOVA / Artem KUDASHEV RUS 64.52 34.40 30.12 5.15 4.90 5.10 5.10 4.90 0.00 #2

I/K's basics are just to die for! They have so much speed and ice coverage with just a few crossovers.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Monko/Khaliavin won. Not that they aren't a great team - wonderful footwork, but IMHO, Ilinykh/Katsalapov were absolutely the class of the field tonight and deserved the win. Shibutanis are good, but that choreography is amazingly open. No holds at all.

At least I/K deservingly got the highests PCS.
    Yes, I liked I/K today more too! They were amazing! What a wonderful performance! Congrats to russian teams! Good job!

As for Shibutanis, they were good too, but not as good as others, and russian commentator said that they lost points for one of their lifts

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Congrats to Monko/Khaliavin and Ilinykh/Katsalapov!! I haven't seen the FD yet, but the judging seems fair from the papers I'm not familiar to M/K FD, so I'll have to wait and see.

As for the Shibutanis, it seems like their diagonal steps only got a level 2, which is pretty unusual for them. Probably due to the reports above that they didn't get enough holds, which I also find strange as they are usually hold-galore.

I'm not worried, though. Like last year, they didn't medal at JGPF even though they won and placed second at their JGP assignments. They came back with great programs at Nationals and then nearly perfectionized programs at JW.
    And still, no one beat their personal best OD score, and their personal best FD was matched with M/K.

I'm very happy they medaled, and it will be exciting to see Junior Worlds!! It's going to be an interesting second half of the season
    Last edited by 100yen; 12-06-2009 at 04:05 AM.

Custom Title
    Congrats to the medal recipients. I haven't seen their performance, so I withhold my judgment yet.

Thanks for all the posters for the updates.

Custom Title
    I thought Alex and Maia would win, but at least it was close.

Custom Title
    Does anyone know how Pushkash/Guerreiro skated? I really liked their peformances earlier this year but they over 7 points of their best in the OD and nearly 9 in the Free.

I was expecting to be in a battle for the podium but ended up a distant fifth. Surprised that the Shibutanis did not come first

Custom Title
    The Shibs skated really well, I don't see any mistakes. Too bad that they didn't win, they're the favorite to win. However, I like I/K too, she has very pretty long line. This team seems to be Russian future, IMO. Not sure if I like M/K that much.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 3T3T View Post
    Does anyone know how Pushkash/Guerreiro skated? I really liked their peformances earlier this year but they over 7 points of their best in the OD and nearly 9 in the Free.
    She had a mistake in the twizzles and were sloppy overall.

Like I said, I would have had it:

1. Ilinykh/Katsalapov - Amazing fluidity and skating skills. They get tremendous speed and ice coverage. She, in particular, is fantastic. Lifts were really well done. They were the first team to hold my attention throughout the dance. Only mistake was them being very slightly off-synch in the twizzles.

2. Shibutani/Shibutani - Seemed slow after I/K, especially in the footwork. Didn't quite hold the attention, and the choreography is very open. I find they don't skates in holds very much due to the height difference, and when they do, there's a huge gap. Great technicians, but didn't seem all that special skating directly after I/K. I thought they skated this better in LP.

3. Monko/Khaliavin - They have really fast feet (and therefore good footwork), but it seemed like he made a mistake in the twizzles when you look at the slow-mo. Seemed sloppy after the other 2 teams.

Can I just say how fabulous Asher Hill is? Fantastic natural dancer! I wish he had a better partner. Kharis Ralph's posture leaves much to be desired.

I liked the Italians a lot too, and would've had them above Cannuscio/Lorello.

mmmmm....Donut spin :) Kimmie Fan's Avatar
    What do people think of ILINYKH/KATSALAPOV's FD?
    I am pretty sure they meant well but I felt uncomfortable watching it.
    and she being killed at the end...yikes.
    Last edited by Kimmie Fan; 12-09-2009 at 02:14 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie Fan View Post
    I think they were absolutely amazing.
    Not so many senior teams can provide such a delicate understanding of the theme and show proper emotions so I'm twice surprised to see this ability from juniors.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I haven't watched the FD's yet, but I can't understand M&K's OD being scored over either Shibutanis' Japanese/martial arts drums OD or I&K's Chilean pan pipes OD or for that matter Ralph & Hill, who had the best rendition I've seen of their South African OD they've done. M&K had a very sloppy rendition of a fairly standard issue Russian folk dance. The unison was really bad.

They appeared to be fast, AFAI could tell, but that was their one positive thing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie Fan View Post
    I am pretty they meant well but I felt uncomfortable watching it.
    and she being killed at the end...yikes.
    Is it the Schindler's List one where she's dressed as a concentration camp victim? If so, I hate it so profoundly that if it was my first exposure to ice dancing, I'd never give it a second look.

On the Ice
    I too, am disgusted by I/K's program. The machine gun fire at the beginning, the prisoner's garb, and the gun shot at the end are all tasteless, sickening, and inappropriate in all contexts. I can't believe anyone could sign off on a program like this one. For me, it is impossible to enjoy. They even skated it in Poland (earlier this season)! Ughh.

As for Monko/Khaliavin, I understand, "It's A Man's World," (it has been skated to multiple times) but what's with the "opera?" It was one of those programs that seemed to last forever. (Not good IMO)
    Both programs are head scratchers for me.

Ralph/Hill skated their OD, the best I have ever seen it. It's a truly unique dance
    and I enjoy watching it. Although I don't like their FD as much as their OD, I hope they skate both programs well at Nationals. And while I don't see them breaking the top 3 this year, I hope they continue to improve.

The Shibutani's Tango Rhapsody program is a true dance, and I enjoyed watching it. Their OD was terrific here, as they got a standing ovation from the audience. There is no doubt in my mind, that the Shibutanis are the team of the future. Regardless of how they place this year, I feel they have what it takes...they have something that no other Junior team, this year or last had. Their global fan appeal, backed up by their skating, and often talked about IT factor, have me convinced. While I am disappointed they didn't place higher at this event, no skater can win every competition they enter. It's a tough road, and people experience it at different points.

Regardless of results, or programs, the skating in this year's junior event was stronger than last year's and maybe even stronger than any other. The sport has progressed so much and the future looks bright.

As it is ice dance, there is no doubt in my mind that politics may have played a role in how the results turned out. First of all, the U.S. has won the past two JW titles in ice dance and they won the junior final last year. This can't be pleasing to several countries in particular. Also, with Davis/White (or even if V/M had won) winning the senior event before the junior event even started, it would be unprecedented for there to be an American/North American sweep of the dance events.

Although this may belong in a different thread, I like V/M's FD much more than D/W's phantom and I hope they win the OGM. Kudos to D/W for their OD, IMO, it is the best this year. Both teams deserved to win at the GPF, they are both terrific.

mmmmm....Donut spin :) Kimmie Fan's Avatar
    Imo, it was incredibly tacky for I/K to be at KnC saying hi to their moms and blowing kisses just moments after they depicted shooting death of a Jew at a Nazi concentration camp. Just too bizarre!

Can you imagine D/W dancing to the music from the TV series Roots and Charlie and Meryl portraying black slaves?
    Unthinkable!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast