Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: JGPF Ice Dance

mmmmm....Donut spin :) Kimmie Fan's Avatar
    To those that thought portraying nazi atrocities was appropriate theme for figure skating, is there anything that is off limit to ice dancing?

What if some Chinese couple danced to the tragic events of Rape of Nanking?
    He can be the Japanese Imperial soldier-rapist, she can be the Chinese peasant/victim.
    And for authenticity sake, they end their performance with simulated rape.

As long as the performance reminded people of the brutal acts by the Japanese army, didn't trivialize the horror that the Japanese army caused and kept a very mature expression and interpretation throughout their program...we should applaud them?

What if this Chinese couple skated this program in Japan?
    Last edited by Kimmie Fan; 12-10-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by dancemaster View Post
    here is where the original idea came from
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCRa...eature=related
    That's really cool, except they didn't have "Fiddler on the Roof" in the middle of the program. If I/K just used music from "Schindler's List," I feel like the program would have a stronger effect. That's all I'm saying. I like the idea of both of these versions of "Schindler's List." Maybe I/K will improve upon it by Junior Worlds and their interpretation will grow on me a little more.

I think it's interesting they did such a dramatic piece for Skating with the Stars in Russia.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    If it wasn't an art, people wouldn't be talking about the importance of artistry...
    Ehh, people just like pretty packaging, that's all

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    dancemaster, Did you attend the JGPF? If so, what did you think of the performances of the different teams?

Thanks for the clip--I&K's coach and choreographer did totally rip off the program of Navka & partner, right down to her costume/no makeup. Good grief.

I have no objection to I&K skating to Schindler in a graphic fashion, but I don't like such blatant plagiarism, for sure. Worse, the changes they made muddied the artistic impact of Navka's version, particularly the insertion of Fiddler on the Roof. I was confused watching, who Katsapolov was supposed to be-was he Schindler turning some girl down for the list or her boyfriend who's German or what? Their movements got way too balletic, too inappropriate, IMO, for the subject matter.

Somehow this program brought to mind Mel Brooks' Hitler on Ice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybuKQf9p5jg

which caused everyone in the theater to laugh because of the massive inappropriateness.

How did the judges (or audience votes) deal with Navka's performance? Did they like it?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Thanks for the clip--I&K's coach and choreographer did totally rip off the program of Navka & partner, right down to her costume/no makeup. Good grief.

I have no objection to I&K skating to Schindler in a graphic fashion, but I don't like such blatant plagiarism, for sure.
    I already answered you on FSU but want to ask one more time to stop this hysteria! Why don't you mention that these two performances were created by on choreographer - Zhulin? Or you just have no idea about this fact? I hope you do otherwise you just don't understand what plagiarism is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fashionista View Post
    I already answered you on FSU but want to ask one more time to stop this hysteria! Why don't you mention that these two performances were created by on choreographer - Zhulin? Or you just have no idea about this fact? I hope you do otherwise you just don't understand what plagiarism is.
    are you sure it was created by one Zhulin????
    in fact they more then a dozen choreographer working in the Russian ice age production
    and in fact i have seen a similar production of this material many years ago

dancemaster, Did you attend the JGPF? If so, what did you think of the performances of the different teams?
    yes i did and will be happy to send you a report via a private message

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dancemaster View Post
    are you sure it was created by one Zhulin????
    in fact they more then a dozen choreographer working in the Russian ice age production
    and in fact i have seen a similar production of this material many years ago
    Yep, Zhulin and Averbukh have assisting choreographers but they work as a team. So if a number is created by Zhulin and his team I assume we can still call it Zhulin's work.

Yes, I have no clue who choreographs for Russian reality skating shows. Other than what you tell me, of course. How would I?

If Zhulin is the choreographer for both, then of course there is no plagiarism involved.

Custom Title
    How would I?
    Just ask.
    Sometimes it's better keep silence than shout out things you have no clue about.

because while not criminal, like plagiarism, I still think it is pretty lame (but legal) of Zhulin.

And it certainly was deceptive to have the skaters give an interview where they say they want to skate to Schindler's List because they saw the movie and Ilinykh was so moved by it, she cried, and so they put together this FD, even though they knew it would be controversial

BTW, I've finally watched all the JGPF FD's, and I would have I&K in first place in that portion of the event. I am not trying to claim they didn't deserve their placements, and in fact I'd have them ahead of M&K, who had IMO a totally nonsteamy, very sleep inducing blues program. Heck, I'd also have the Shibs nontango ahead of M&K's nonblues, based on technical difficulty alone.

I put off watching the last 3 placing team's performances until just now (6th and 7th place were tangoes.. and then there was 8th place Sabre Dance.). I've got to say that even though I am generally a hater of tangoes I kind of got a mild kick out of I&C's sendup of tango medlies, their Hernando's Hideaway Three Ways program. I look forward to seeing them on the JGP next year. I particularly liked their level 4 twizzles with the whippy semiattitude leg extensions into back twizzles on the same leg with no steps in between into Isabelle doing those cheesy two foot wiggles Yes, 6th was absolutely the right place for them. But I like them. Their Russian OD did not lead me to expect anything this good from their FD.

And Guerreiro/Pushkash did amazingly well for a team that has skated together less than a year.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-12-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Paying the bills
    I kind of got a mild kick out of I&C's sendup of tango medlies, their Hernando's Hideaway Three Ways program. I look forward to seeing them on the JGP next year.
    Think you mean C&L and they age out of junior internationally next year .

Ahh, that's too bad! Well, I hope the US sends them to Jr. Worlds.

Rinkside

Re

yes.obviously.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4