Grand Prix Final: Pairs LP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final: Pairs LP

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^Thanks.
Congrats to S/Z. Can't wait to see the videos of the LP.

hongligl

Final Flight
And no 10's either...highest is a 9.50...(I think someone was asking about that before.)

IMO no 10's is a positive thing. S/Z got higher PCS across the board, not by certain judges.

Anyway, I think the scores are crazy myself in general, but the gaps between teams appear reasonable.

Last edited:

wewe008

Rinkside
S/Z abslutely deserve that huge score!
They have two level 3 lifts and a death spiral, and Z single the 1st axel.
That means they can get even higher score when they clean the LP.
Looking forword to their perfect performance in the OLY.
10ps is the gap between S/Z and SS.

bluesky12

Spectator
Kinda feel bad for M/T, they pick up 3rd place in both the sp and lp and go home in 4th. They're probably hating the scoring system right now.

Oh well...it's not the first time its happened.

MT's LP was the 3th..behind SZ, PT...
SS' lp was 4th, but their sp was 2nd..
In old rule ,which one was winer?

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I just watched the Pairs SP. Congrats to S/Z, P/T and S/S.

Beautiful skating from S/Z , very difficult program executed and skated magnificently. Loved it.

Very happy for P/T. They skated their program with a lot of heart, passion along with athleticism which was nice to see, I am loving their program too.

S/S not their best skate. Their old nemesis inconsistency crept in. Unfortunate because when skated well their program is breathtaking.

cornell08

Final Flight
I thought S/Z were great except I'm still not a fan of that dirge-like music. I think P/T's LP is pretty good except they need to eliminate certain awkward transitional moves.

Wicked

Final Flight
Z/Z all season long have looked like they would rather be anywhere else than skating--especially Dan. Something is going on behind the scenes with this couple.

After they got their scores in the K&C, he immediately walked off and left her sitting there waving. She has not looked okay to me this season- kind of vacant and very thin. I hope they'll be all right.

cornell08

Final Flight
Whats going on with this couple is that their programs do not work for them at all! Music, costumes, style-- everything. How dissapointing...especially after last season's wonderful SP.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
MT's LP was the 3th..behind SZ, PT...
SS' lp was 4th, but their sp was 2nd..
In old rule ,which one was winer?

MT.

Assuming the program rankings stay the same it would be...

1. Shen/Zhao (1 * .5) + 1 = 1.5
2. Pang/Tong (4 * .5) + 2 = 4.0
3. Murhktova/Trankov (3 * .5) + 3 = 4.5
4. Savchenko/Szolkowy (2 * .5) + 4 = 5.0
5. Kavaguti/Smirnov (6 * .5) + 5 = 8.0
6. Zhang/Zhang (5 * .5) + 6 - 8.5

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Oops ,another case of 'different strokes...' :) Z/Z's programs are excellent this year IMO, and obviously designed to show / develop more range of style and expression. I particularly like the Scherazade program. And he, at least, is trying to get into the feel of the programs. No, I think there is something wrong with Dan.She just doesn't seem to be ...What ?..In the moment..buying in..commited..well..happy? Something.

I can't believe that his reaction was just pique, since he's never displayed a hint of 'temperament' before. I really hope they get this resolved.

Fae

Rinkside
Finally got around to watching all the performances on youtube.
I LOVED the pairs competition! The return of S/Z have really shaken things up and most of the pairs seem to be bringing their A-game. Will gladly take this podium at the olympics altho I haven't quite decided on my preferred order since I root for all 3 couples!! :)

The only bleh bit was Z/Z's performance. Not one of my favourite pairs by any stretch but it's awful to watch a formerly top ranked pair struggle like this. She looks absolutely miserable out there...And someone in the costuming department needs to get fired. WHY is she STILL(!!!) wearing a metal bikini for the LP?!)

cornell08

Final Flight
Hao Zhang looked miffed because it was Dan who messed up during the LP not him. Course, you should always be supportive of your partner, but I think thats why he walked off. Maybe their programs are more 'expressive' this year....but they've done a horrible job interpreting both programs (even if they are branching out). But you can't branch out just by choosing different styles of music. Sing, Sing, Sing has absolutely no jazz quality to it the way they skate it and their LP is skated with zero heart, which is the most important thing for Scheherazade. Also, I cannot believe they are still wearing that long program outfit. It makes M/T's look good. Hao looks like a joke in that metal tube top and Dan's is only slightly better in comparison.

I admit I've never been much of a fan of Z/Z but they could have won me over by actually improving on things and getting rid of parts of their program that are just madd awkward (like their bent arm spiral). They've had 4 years to improve, and I only see a regression since their Offspring of the Dragon program. S/Z and P/T prove they look at protocols closely and change what they do poorly. The result is a polished, beautiful program. Z/Z are like stubborn teenagers who refuse to change/tweak anything. Take a look at their programs at the start of this season and now. There is not one bit of difference, and much was needed. I can't decide if this is Bin Yao's fault if he thinks "Ok, they're not gold medal contenders, I'll just spend my time w/ SZ and PT" or if its their own stubbornness and immaturity. But I'm sick of it, and I've lost patience with them.

Hao Zhang at the press conference after the LP:
"I don't know what went wrong. We got medals in the past GPF, so I'm so disappointed about our performance today. We can't keep skating like this (mistakes). If we can't do a good performance and won't be in the top six, I think we'd rather not go to the Olympics. But, of course, we still have two months to prepare, so we'll work hard to overcome this bad condition. So please support us!"

I don't even know where to start with this quote ^, but it makes me really not want to root for them. But I will say that ITS NOT A "CONDITION".

Last edited:

ae9177

On the Ice
WOW, Shen and Zhao absolutly blew me away, what an amazing performance! What an incredible comeback! Very happy for Pang and Tong too. I'll be thrilled if either couple can win the Olympics. :clap: