Grand Prix Final: Mens LP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final: Mens LP

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think Evan's PCS were inflated and I love Evan. But you could argue the same for S/Z, D/W, V/M, Kim in some events etc. IMO the judges are just going crazy when marking the winner. I think that's wrong, doesn't diminish the skating of these people, though.

And these things are very subjective. For example, I appreciate what Kozuka and Abbott are doing, but they seem so restrained and focused inward to me that their skating seems "small" and inconsequential IMO. So I would argue that Lysacek, Joubert, Plushy etc. deserve at least equal marks to those people because they perform so much better than them that it should even out what they lose in Transition marks etc. I know that I don't make myself very popular with these statements here, sorry. ;)

I feel that abott gives small impression for his skating and jumps not so big, either.

janetfan

Match Penalty
CoP was created to make the scoring system better and not just different.

Reputation scoring - has it gotten better? I believe it is still a major problem that CoP has failed to improve.

Artistic marking - has it gotten better? I believe the CoP system itself is at fault here as quantity and similarity are rewarded over quality and originality.

Originality has been suppressed by the requirements and levels assigned to the various elements. Do skaters and choreographers have any choice about how to create their programs - or are they forced to perform elements in a similar manner hoping to score the most points?

Sometimes fans complain that Evan looks exactly the same from year to year.
Guess what fans - so does Joubert look exactly the same and Plushy looked so similar to Torino it is hard to believe he was away for three years.

Is there any good reason someone can suggest for Plushy to approach Vancouver with a totally new look or style? Are Mischin and Plushy dumb enough to abandon a CoP friendly style of skating that won him the OGM in '06?

I was never a big Johnny fan but CoP has really hurt him. He used to be different but even Johnny admitted he had to go to Wilson and try and skate like everybody else if he was going to have a chance this season.

The great Lambiel has said the same thing and has openly mocked CoP scoring. Why would Stephane do that? Is he a bad person or too stupid to understand the benefits of CoP?

He is a very artistic and very original skater and he resents that he must do what the others are doing to have a chance. He recently commented about adding arm movements when it didn't fit the music let alone the mood he was trying to convey. But even a skater as great as Lambiel has no choice but to skate for the points and do what the others are doing if he wants to give himself a chance to win. What a shame for Lambiel and how strange the philosophy of CoP feels to me.

I was never a big Johnny fan but CoP has really hurt him. He used to be different but even Johnny admitted he had to go to Wilson and try and skate like everybody else if he was going to have a chance this season.

The great Lambiel has said the same thing and has openly mocked CoP scoring. Why would Stephane do that? Is he a bad person or too stupid to understand the benefits of CoP?

He is a very artistic and very original skater and he resents that he must do what the others are doing to have a chance. He recently commented about adding arm movemen ts when it didn't fit the music let alone the mood he was trying to convey. But even a skater as great as Lambiel has no choice but to skate for the points and do what the others are doing if he wants to give himself a chance to win. What a shame for Lambiel and how strange the philosophy of CoP feels to me.
janet - we can only hope that some day,they will bring back theFREE SKATE and leave the super tricks for the Short Program.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I don't like CoP, and I don't like 6.0 either.

I am wondering how come CoP is suddenly at the greatest fault when we talk about Evan's undeserving PCS? So we cannot talk about Evan?!:cool: I think to accuse Plushenko too pale to look even alive is an absolute, unskating related, hateful personal attack and bashing. I don't see anything close to this kind of trash talk about Evan here.

schiele

Final Flight

I am wondering how come CoP is suddenly at the greatest fault when we talk about Evan's undeserving PCS? So we cannot talk about Evan?!:cool: I think to accuse Plushenko too pale to look even alive is an absolute, unskating related, hateful personal attack and bashing. I don't see anything close to this kind of trash talk about Evan here.

Well to be fair, we do make fun of his costumes and sometimes his hair.. :laugh::laugh:
Although I guess Evan does not really get more than others like Joubert, Plushenko, Euro girls etc..
I think COP is at the bottom of most discussions, I guess the score inflation just made the faults too difficult to ignore all of a sudden.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sometimes fans complain that Evan looks exactly the same from year to year.
Guess what fans - so does Joubert look exactly the same and Plushy looked so similar to Torino it is hard to believe he was away for three years.

in the case of Joubert and Plushenko - they looked the same year in and year out during the 6.0 system, too. Joubert just took the same formula that Yags had and tried to use it for himself.

Evan's not doing anything wrong by it, and it's NOT just something we see in the CoP... Scott Hamilton used the same basic layouts for his programs in the 80s and just changed parts of his music and the costumes... certainly not the creativity we'd see later in his professional programs (thank you Sarah K!)

janetfan

Match Penalty

When I call Plushy the "Siberian Mullet Boy" and put this - :laugh: - next to my comment I am obviously kidding. I have also praised and defended Plushy many times.

When another poster says they "will never watch skating again if Evan medals" and says they "hate his skating" and "can't stand him" it feels a little different.

Or do you disagree with that as well?:scratch:

And if I called Plushy the "Siberian Zombie Boy" ;) because he is rather pale compared to Evan that would also be a joke.

I laugh and make fun of Evan's tan and I never heard you complain before. You have very selective criticisms.

When you don't mention I used a "smilie" or was kidding - then you are misrepresenting my post and quoting me out of context.

Anyone knows it if they read the thread I am kidding.
So please, a little more honesty OK? :)

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Who said Plushy is pale?:eek: :unsure:When you see him live he is like sunflower on ice and clear bright as a diamond, he is just too much to watch. Shining gold from head to toe. :cool: And he has shiny blue eyes to match his shiny mullet.

Voila, that was my uber moment of the day:p too much shiny, I m so poetic.

I have missed medusa on this thread;)

prettykeys

Medalist
Who said Plushy is pale?:eek: :unsure:When you see him live he is like sunflower on ice and clear bright as a diamond, he is just too much to watch. Shining gold from head to toe. :cool: And he has shiny blue eyes to match his shiny mullet.
:rofl:

But seriously! jennylovskt :thumbsup: About as honest as anyone gets.

janetfan

Match Penalty

Voila, that was my uber moment of the day:p too much shiny, I m so poetic.

I have missed medusa on this thread;)

Pale, ghostly, translucent, and yes, I agree, there is something very shiny about Plushy. A very cheap shiny polyester fabric comes to mind. ;) :laugh:

Now if you mentioned his shiny OGM I would agree with you. :yes:

legjumper

Rinkside
One thing that stood out to me yesterday while watching the men's final was that Lysacek was the only skater who presented like a man. Despite his issues with the axel, he projected strength, power, focus, and command in a way that none of the other men did. In comparison, Oda and Weir seemed boyish, Abbott reticent, and Takahashi...well, poor Dai was a mess.

I also don't understand the accusation that Evan has poor choreography with no transitions. After watching the top LPs back to back, it seemed to me that Oda and Weir are the ones with empty programs, not Evan. Obviously, it's hard to get an accurate impression from television, but Evan's program seemed to cover the ice better than the others'.

silverling

Rinkside
can I just say how I feel when I watch Evan's skating

Hello, can I just say how I feel when I watch Evan's skating? His skating is so boring. It's not artistically touching nor interesting. It's not an art nor entertainment. It's not beautiful. It's looks so funny and ugly. ( to me his performan is like this) It looks awkward. He moves so awkwardly. The way he moves funny to watch. He just waves his arms. He waves his arm too much it bothers me. I would not understand anybody who would pay to see his performance only. His performance is not worth paying to watch at all. His performances are so boring. His performance has no point. His just not a person who is apt to figure skating. He is just an athlete. He is strong athlete. That's all. He has athlete mentality. He has strong mentality that is very apt to athlete. That makes him strong competiter. But he has no talent for figure skating. It is not for people like him. He is a terrible dancer. It is almost a torture for me to watch his skating. It's like waste of time. It's not amusing or inspiring or beautiful or entertaining at all. I don't think he would have achieved his medals if it wasn't for his good looking mask, if it wasn't for his masculinity which has nothing to do with his funny and pointless skating. I feel like I am watching junior skating competition or something. I don't feel enjoyment. I don't feel excitment. I don't feel touching. It inspires me any a bit. I'm like what is he doing out there? I don't see any sprit for figure skating through his eyes. I only see greedy(or ambition) for medal (gold medal) through his eyes. I don't see any sprit for figure skating through his arm waving. I only see the sign that's shouting "give me the gold medal!" Sorry but that's just what I see when I see his skating. Sorry but I don't see any beauty or charm or entertainment or inspiration or touching or excitement or amusement and so on through his skating which I see and feel from the performances of some other figure skaters.

On the other hand, Johnny Weir has his color, his performances are entertaining, touching, inspiring, amusing and beautuful and so on. He has talent. (In fact, he has so much talent, he is full of talent) He knows how to impact the audience, how to grasp the audience, how to move the audience and all that. He has artistic spirit and so on. What can we more ask to God to give us more charming, great, inspiring, talented skater? So sad skating world these days hinders us from seeing his inspiring, beautiful, touching and entertaining skating by giving him hard time these days. I don't understand why judges try to make us see more Evan's skating instead of Johnny's skating by giving Evan huge PCS score and Johnny the poor PCS score? What's wrong with today's scoring system? What's wrong with the judges? What do the judges think skating is about? I think Johnny is a skater that heaven gifted us. Is Evan the skater that heaven gifted us? Do you think Evan was born as a figure skater or Johnny was born as a figure skater. Why do the judges give Johnny a hard time? Why do they give Evan much higher PCS score? What do they thinking? Why do the judges in the GPF 2009 told Johnny and Evan that Evan's skating was gold medal skating and Johnny's was bronze medal skating so that Evan's skating was better? What is better skating? what skating of Evan's was better than Johnny's? What skating of Johnny's was worse than Evan's (in the GPF 2009) ?
I really don't understand. It's so unfair. I think Evan knows these things well judging by his face expressions, eyes and his tone of voice and so on. ( sorry for my poor English)

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Absolutely. And that's why, playing to his strengths, Evan's Olympic costume should be:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...mage_result&resnum=4&ct=image&ved=0CAwQ9QEwAw
Or is brown unmanly?

I really got tickled at both of these -- and everybody's right, the models look somewhat like the skaters, too, esp the "Evan!" Ha, ha, I wonder if he WOULD consider brown acceptable ~ now if he could only have the club on the ice, and Johnny the bone, what choreo could they do with those props??! :chorus::chorus: