Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Grand Prix Final: Mens LP

Rinkside
    One thing that stood out to me yesterday while watching the men's final was that Lysacek was the only skater who presented like a man. Despite his issues with the axel, he projected strength, power, focus, and command in a way that none of the other men did. In comparison, Oda and Weir seemed boyish, Abbott reticent, and Takahashi...well, poor Dai was a mess.

I also don't understand the accusation that Evan has poor choreography with no transitions. After watching the top LPs back to back, it seemed to me that Oda and Weir are the ones with empty programs, not Evan. Obviously, it's hard to get an accurate impression from television, but Evan's program seemed to cover the ice better than the others'.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by legjumper View Post
    One thing that stood out to me yesterday while watching the men's final was that Lysacek was the only skater who presented like a man.
    :sheesh:......:frown2:

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Absolutely. And that's why, playing to his strengths, Evan's Olympic costume should be:
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CAwQ9QEwAw
    Or is brown unmanly?

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Absolutely. And that's why, playing to his strengths, Evan's Olympic costume should be:
    Or is brown unmanly?
    LOL!!!!!!!!

The guy in the picture actually looks a bit like Evan, too.

omg I can't stop laughing

I found Johnny Weir's ticket to manliness as well!!

http://www.buycostumes.com/Hugh-Jabo...uctDetail.aspx

Rinkside

can I just say how I feel when I watch Evan's skating

Hello, can I just say how I feel when I watch Evan's skating? His skating is so boring. It's not artistically touching nor interesting. It's not an art nor entertainment. It's not beautiful. It's looks so funny and ugly. ( to me his performan is like this) It looks awkward. He moves so awkwardly. The way he moves funny to watch. He just waves his arms. He waves his arm too much it bothers me. I would not understand anybody who would pay to see his performance only. His performance is not worth paying to watch at all. His performances are so boring. His performance has no point. His just not a person who is apt to figure skating. He is just an athlete. He is strong athlete. That's all. He has athlete mentality. He has strong mentality that is very apt to athlete. That makes him strong competiter. But he has no talent for figure skating. It is not for people like him. He is a terrible dancer. It is almost a torture for me to watch his skating. It's like waste of time. It's not amusing or inspiring or beautiful or entertaining at all. I don't think he would have achieved his medals if it wasn't for his good looking mask, if it wasn't for his masculinity which has nothing to do with his funny and pointless skating. I feel like I am watching junior skating competition or something. I don't feel enjoyment. I don't feel excitment. I don't feel touching. It inspires me any a bit. I'm like what is he doing out there? I don't see any sprit for figure skating through his eyes. I only see greedy(or ambition) for medal (gold medal) through his eyes. I don't see any sprit for figure skating through his arm waving. I only see the sign that's shouting "give me the gold medal!" Sorry but that's just what I see when I see his skating. Sorry but I don't see any beauty or charm or entertainment or inspiration or touching or excitement or amusement and so on through his skating which I see and feel from the performances of some other figure skaters.

On the other hand, Johnny Weir has his color, his performances are entertaining, touching, inspiring, amusing and beautuful and so on. He has talent. (In fact, he has so much talent, he is full of talent) He knows how to impact the audience, how to grasp the audience, how to move the audience and all that. He has artistic spirit and so on. What can we more ask to God to give us more charming, great, inspiring, talented skater? So sad skating world these days hinders us from seeing his inspiring, beautiful, touching and entertaining skating by giving him hard time these days. I don't understand why judges try to make us see more Evan's skating instead of Johnny's skating by giving Evan huge PCS score and Johnny the poor PCS score? What's wrong with today's scoring system? What's wrong with the judges? What do the judges think skating is about? I think Johnny is a skater that heaven gifted us. Is Evan the skater that heaven gifted us? Do you think Evan was born as a figure skater or Johnny was born as a figure skater. Why do the judges give Johnny a hard time? Why do they give Evan much higher PCS score? What do they thinking? Why do the judges in the GPF 2009 told Johnny and Evan that Evan's skating was gold medal skating and Johnny's was bronze medal skating so that Evan's skating was better? What is better skating? what skating of Evan's was better than Johnny's? What skating of Johnny's was worse than Evan's (in the GPF 2009) ?
    I really don't understand. It's so unfair. I think Evan knows these things well judging by his face expressions, eyes and his tone of voice and so on. ( sorry for my poor English)
    Last edited by silverling; 12-07-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post

Those ads even have the right hairstyles!

The King has arrived - no questions! plushyta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    And if I called Plushy the "Siberian Zombie Boy" because he is rather pale compared to Evan that would also be a joke.
    Why then I do not laugh?

P.S.... btw... is this a natural tan color of Evan's face?

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Or is brown unmanly?
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post

I really got tickled at both of these -- and everybody's right, the models look somewhat like the skaters, too, esp the "Evan!" Ha, ha, I wonder if he WOULD consider brown acceptable ~ now if he could only have the club on the ice, and Johnny the bone, what choreo could they do with those props??! :chorus::chorus:

Quote Originally Posted by plushyta View Post
    Why then I do not laugh?

P.S.... btw... is this a natural tan color of Evan's face?
    his skin has always been a little tan, but he definitely is Hollywood tan now...

End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by legjumper View Post
    One thing that stood out to me yesterday while watching the men's final was that Lysacek was the only skater who presented like a man. Despite his issues with the axel, he projected strength, power, focus, and command in a way that none of the other men did. In comparison, Oda and Weir seemed boyish, Abbott reticent, and Takahashi...well, poor Dai was a mess.

I also don't understand the accusation that Evan has poor choreography with no transitions. After watching the top LPs back to back, it seemed to me that Oda and Weir are the ones with empty programs, not Evan. Obviously, it's hard to get an accurate impression from television, but Evan's program seemed to cover the ice better than the others'.
    Legjumper, I don't think anybody here claimed that Evan has no transitions. It would be utterly stupid to say smth like that as he obviously has plenty. What dislikers claim is that despite the effort, it all looks the same with lots of frantic movements passed as choreography and execution.
    Btw, Poor Tomas is counted out of everything.. He was manly as well and also suave as hell..

Medalist
    I've read plenty of posts in the "Evan can't skate", "Evan has no transitions/choreography" manner, to be honest. And it's slightly unpleasant to walk into a thread and be laughed at just because I like Lysacek's skating. That's why I'm always cautious to say anything at all TBH. In the end I never can help myself and wade right in.

And I think Evan is "manly" in the sense that the judges like the powerful, slightly agressive persona he is projecting on the ice. IMO that's what Plushy, Joubert, Lysacek, Takahashi and Verner have going for them. I know, loads of people will disagree, but that's how I see it. And that's unfortunately one of the problems someone like Oda will probably always face, he's just not the second coming of Yagudin etc. and even though the way he skates is totally delightful the judges might be cautious when giving him PCS.

End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by katha View Post
    I've read plenty of posts in the "Evan can't skate", "Evan has no transitions/choreography" manner, to be honest. And it's slightly unpleasant to walk into a thread and be laughed at just because I like Lysacek's skating. That's why I'm always cautious to say anything at all TBH. In the end I never can help myself and wade right in.

And I think Evan is "manly" in the sense that the judges like the powerful, slightly agressive persona he is projecting on the ice. IMO that's what Plushy, Joubert, Lysacek, Takahashi and Verner have going for them. I know, loads of people will disagree, but that's how I see it. And that's unfortunately one of the problems someone like Oda will probably always face, he's just not the second coming of Yagudin etc. and even though the way he skates is totally delightful the judges might be cautious when giving him PCS.
    Well, I know how it feels being a Joubert and Plushenko fan..
    I just couldnt remember the transition mockery, his choreography was trashed many times for sure. But to mock his transitions is a bit far fetched indeed. Plush and Joubert more deserve transition trashing than Lysacek to be fair. And among the three, I would still argue that Joubert has more audience friendly (and according to me better) choreographed programmes with the exception of last year's terrible Matrix Reloaded LP. Of course I'm excluding pre 2004 performances with this statement.
    Actually looking at those three, they definetely have the power and the "manliness" in common. And suprisingly I found lately that power indeed sells very well with judges. I also prefer this type of skating (I wanna see more Stoijkos so to speak) but I can also totally appreciate Oda's wonderfully choreographed (yet maybe simple but who cares) LP and Jeremy's more intricate and introverted SP. Unfortunately they do not get the deserved recognition, what a shame..

PS: On Takashi front I have to disagree.. I think he's trying more of an electrified Lambiel approach than the Evan-Joubert-Plushy style..
    Last edited by schiele; 12-08-2009 at 05:20 AM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    We were really close to the Men's thread having more replies than the Women's thread. Would that have been a first?

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast