Grand Prix Final: Mens LP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final: Mens LP

schiele

Final Flight
One thing that stood out to me yesterday while watching the men's final was that Lysacek was the only skater who presented like a man. Despite his issues with the axel, he projected strength, power, focus, and command in a way that none of the other men did. In comparison, Oda and Weir seemed boyish, Abbott reticent, and Takahashi...well, poor Dai was a mess.

I also don't understand the accusation that Evan has poor choreography with no transitions. After watching the top LPs back to back, it seemed to me that Oda and Weir are the ones with empty programs, not Evan. Obviously, it's hard to get an accurate impression from television, but Evan's program seemed to cover the ice better than the others'.

Legjumper, I don't think anybody here claimed that Evan has no transitions. It would be utterly stupid to say smth like that as he obviously has plenty. What dislikers claim is that despite the effort, it all looks the same with lots of frantic movements passed as choreography and execution.
Btw, Poor Tomas is counted out of everything.. He was manly as well and also suave as hell.. :rolleye:

katha

On the Ice
I've read plenty of posts in the "Evan can't skate", "Evan has no transitions/choreography" manner, to be honest. ;) And it's slightly unpleasant to walk into a thread and be laughed at just because I like Lysacek's skating. That's why I'm always cautious to say anything at all TBH. In the end I never can help myself and wade right in. :biggrin:

And I think Evan is "manly" in the sense that the judges like the powerful, slightly agressive persona he is projecting on the ice. IMO that's what Plushy, Joubert, Lysacek, Takahashi and Verner have going for them. I know, loads of people will disagree, but that's how I see it. And that's unfortunately one of the problems someone like Oda will probably always face, he's just not the second coming of Yagudin etc. and even though the way he skates is totally delightful the judges might be cautious when giving him PCS.

schiele

Final Flight
I've read plenty of posts in the "Evan can't skate", "Evan has no transitions/choreography" manner, to be honest. ;) And it's slightly unpleasant to walk into a thread and be laughed at just because I like Lysacek's skating. That's why I'm always cautious to say anything at all TBH. In the end I never can help myself and wade right in. :biggrin:

And I think Evan is "manly" in the sense that the judges like the powerful, slightly agressive persona he is projecting on the ice. IMO that's what Plushy, Joubert, Lysacek, Takahashi and Verner have going for them. I know, loads of people will disagree, but that's how I see it. And that's unfortunately one of the problems someone like Oda will probably always face, he's just not the second coming of Yagudin etc. and even though the way he skates is totally delightful the judges might be cautious when giving him PCS.

Well, I know how it feels being a Joubert and Plushenko fan.. :laugh::laugh:
I just couldnt remember the transition mockery, his choreography was trashed many times for sure. But to mock his transitions is a bit far fetched indeed. Plush and Joubert more deserve transition trashing than Lysacek to be fair. And among the three, I would still argue that Joubert has more audience friendly (and according to me better) choreographed programmes with the exception of last year's terrible Matrix Reloaded LP. Of course I'm excluding pre 2004 performances with this statement.
Actually looking at those three, they definetely have the power and the "manliness" in common. And suprisingly I found lately that power indeed sells very well with judges. I also prefer this type of skating (I wanna see more Stoijkos so to speak) but I can also totally appreciate Oda's wonderfully choreographed (yet maybe simple but who cares) LP and Jeremy's more intricate and introverted SP. Unfortunately they do not get the deserved recognition, what a shame..

PS: On Takashi front I have to disagree.. I think he's trying more of an electrified Lambiel approach than the Evan-Joubert-Plushy style..

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
We were really close to the Men's thread having more replies than the Women's thread. Would that have been a first? ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
We were really close to the Men's thread having more replies than the Women's thread. Would that have been a first? ;)

An interesting observation BOP.

I think back to Calgary 1988 and how the Ladies competition featuring returning Olympic champion Katerina Witt played a secondary role to the men's event and the "Battle of The Brians."

Watching this season's GP series leads me to believe I will enjoy the Men's competition in Vancouver more than the Ladie's event for one simple reason - the skating will be so much better.

I could be wrong about that and who is to say how well the men will skate? There could be meltdowns from some of the favorites and it could turn out like Torino...............

Nadia01

Final Flight
An interesting observation BOP.

I think back to Calgary 1988 and how the Ladies competition featuring returning Olympic champion Katerina Witt played a secondary role to the men's event and the "Battle of The Brians."

Watching this season's GP series leads me to believe I will enjoy the Men's competition in Vancouver more than the Ladie's event for one simple reason - the skating will be so much better.

I could be wrong about that and who is to say how well the men will skate? There could be meltdowns from some of the favorites and it could turn out like Torino...............
Please don't say that. It was so painful... >.<

schiele

Final Flight
Please don't say that. It was so painful... >.<

The suprise element is out there. It's in everyone's head I suppose.. Could it be that against all expectations men will bomb and ladies will flourish? :laugh::laugh:

schiele said:
PS: On Takashi front I have to disagree.. I think he's trying more of an electrified Lambiel approach than the Evan-Joubert-Plushy style..
Great phrase and it definitely makes Dai leap to my mind's eye.

(Blades, I'm trying to do my bit for the men.)

But then again, there is the ladies short program thread. 38,000 views and 496 posts, with 494 of them of them on the topic of whether or not Yu-na Kim's triple toe should have been downgraded. :cool:

But then again, there is the ladies short program thread. 38,000 views and 496 posts, with 494 of them of them on the topic of whether or not Yu-na Kim's triple toe should have been downgraded. :cool:
Ugh, did you have to remind us? That was the most boring thread I have EVER seen. The bots threaten to make even the Olympics discussions boring.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Ugh, did you have to remind us? That was the most boring thread I have EVER seen. The bots threaten to make even the Olympics discussions boring.

You can probably prevent people from registering during the Oly to stop bots from joining just so they can say something mean about Yuna and/or Mao. I don't care for Yuna-bots or Mao-bots.