Grand Prix Final: Ladies LP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final: Ladies LP

gourry

Final Flight
I don't think she hates skating, but I think she's not too crazy about the media attention. In one interview, she said she wouldn't have her child to figure skating. She said having a normal life as an ordinary citizen was probably the best, which to me seems to indicate that she's tired of the media. She never started figure skating to become a super star.

That's just too bad, because even if she retires she's never gonna have that "ordinary life" in Korea....

Nadia01

Final Flight
That's just too bad, because even if she retires she's never gonna have that "ordinary life" in Korea....

I know. Poor Yuna. :(

I hope she can withstand whatever crapola that gets thrown at her by the media and skates well in Vancouver. I remember some years ago a Korean reporter made it sound like Yuna should dislike (?) Mao b/c she's a rival from Japan or something, but Yuna answered that she never started skating to beat Mao, and that having a good rival is great since it motivates her.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I wish Miki did at least either 3L-3R or 2A-3T! Why so cautious? I initially thought that she would win. Then I thought that she lost due to PCS. She looked slower than Yuna. But I am surprised that she got similar PCS with her. Now I understand that her 3S was DGed.

Kinga

Medalist
Oh my, thank you very much. I guess I haven't watched Yukari much, but I would definitely say that leg wraps are indeed quite unattractive. :yes:

I do not have any problem with leg wrag (especially in Yukari's case). But I guess I am in the minority. To me, it is just strange to almost completely exclude a skater from competition for medals because of one technical imperfection. I have heard so many comments: Yukari is not a contender, because of her leg wrap. It annoys me a bit. Do I think that Yuna should not be winning her Wch and other titles because of not great layback and poor positions in spiral? No. Do I think that Mao should not win her medals because of flutz? No. So lets leave Yukari and have leg wrap :laugh: (I know I am OT here, but I could not help it :)).

Bennett

Record Breaker
Just looking at the event, I feel that Akiko could have placed the first in FP. She was fab there. I wish she skated the last or had a better reputation scores. In PCS wise, she was the best, not to mention her jumps and steps.

KKonas

Medalist
I wouldn't be surprised if Yuna retires after winning OGM.

I don't think she hates skating, but I think she's not too crazy about the media attention. In one interview, she said she wouldn't have her child to figure skating. She said having a normal life as an ordinary citizen was probably the best, which to me seems to indicate that she's tired of the media. She never started figure skating to become a super star.

It really is a shame that the media circus is so disruptive of Kim's life that she feels she can't have a normal existence. I am sure it's one reason she trains in Canada. I remember the same problem with Midori Ito - the Japanese press was suffocating during the 1992 Olympic Games in Albertville. In practices Ito was landing triple/triple combinations of every kind. It was amazing but days later in the competition the pressure made her choke. I hope she now has a normal life.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Just looking at the event, I feel that Akiko could have placed the first in FP. She was fab there. I wish she skated the last or had a better reputation scores. In PCS wise, she was the best, not to mention her jumps and steps.

I thought she skated a beautiful long program. It was my favorite.

Trewyn

Medalist
About Yukari's leg wrap; yes I think it's very unattractive but it also makes her jumps look underrotated, which is a problem these days. She's also not very consistent; that's why Akiko could give her a run for her money. I *do* feel Yukari should have medaled at 2008 Worlds. Yukari's olympic chances aren't gone yet, but I personally feel Akiko should get the chance... Japanese Nats should be a pretty tough event!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, knowing only top 4 placement and no score, it seems as if Kim rebounded, Ando held on, Suzuki had a SOHL and Wagner made a solid case for herself to be put on the US team.

Congrats on 4th :yes: when most everyone predicted you 6th :rock:

Bennett

Record Breaker
About Yukari's leg wrap; yes I think it's very unattractive but it also makes her jumps look underrotated, which is a problem these days. She's also not very consistent; that's why Akiko could give her a run for her money. I *do* feel Yukari should have medaled at 2008 Worlds. Yukari's olympic chances aren't gone yet, but I personally feel Akiko should get the chance... Japanese Nats should be a pretty tough event!

Yukari has PCS advantage than Akiko. Remember how low Akiko scored at SC? It wouldn't happen with Yukari. So sending Akiko is like a gamble. But Yukari is not consistent this season. Without landing all the jumps, she is not competitive. If both skate their best, I think Akiko is a better skater than Yukari.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well, knowing only top 4 placement and no score, it seems as if Kim rebounded, Ando held on, Suzuki had a SOHL and Wagner made a solid case for herself to be put on the US team.

Congrats on 4th :yes: when most everyone predicted you 6th :rock:

Ashley skated an excellent program . She hit all her jumps, nice spins, beautiful spiral sequence. She scored 107 + (maybe an ur call) cause I thought it would be higher. Not her season best which I think was 108+. Ashley held her own in a talented field of ladies. Fist pump at the end and she also had nice response from the audience. I was impressed. Oh yeah she is going to Vancouver if she keeps this up at Nationals.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Yu-Na, Miki and Akiko!!!

I hope this establishes Akiko as a solid candidate for the Japanese Olympic team, she's such a joy to watch. Barring complete meltdown at Japanese Nationals, it looks like Miki's in for sure.

Glad to see Yu-Na fight off her 3F demons, it was so sad seeing her money jump disappear for awhile....welcome back, Yu-Na's 3F!

And ouch for Joannie....I hope this gets some pressure off her, especially since CBC was promoting her as Yu-Na's biggest rival :banging:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Yu-Na, Miki and Akiko!!!

I hope this establishes Akiko as a solid candidate for the Japanese Olympic team, she's such a joy to watch. Barring complete meltdown at Japanese Nationals, it looks like Miki's in for sure.

Glad to see Yu-Na fight off her 3F demons, it was so sad seeing her money jump disappear for awhile....welcome back, Yu-Na's 3F!

And ouch for Joannie....I hope this gets some pressure off her, especially since CBC was promoting her as Yu-Na's biggest rival :banging:

I hope this helps Akiko. But she still has ups and downs and her PCS is not either consistent or that high even at her very best skate. It is still up to Nationals. Yukari has the career.
Plus we also have to remember that Joannie and Alena had complete meltdowns here. Without their help, she might not have medalled even with her very best skate.

french quarter

Rinkside
I didn't read previous posts yet, but did anyone mention that Yu-Na skated today with damaged blades? Both blades had been damaged during the Saturday practice. That reminded me of PJ Kwong having said that Yu-Na would win with guards on blades. I wasn't surprised too much because she used to win with bad injuries. I'm glad she won gold despite lots of trouble this weekend. :clap:

Last edited:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Go Miki! I'm so proud of you! Congratulations for your first GPF medal! I think this will garantee her a spot on the Olympic team!

<3

And also congratulations to Yu-Na for her 3rd GPF gold medal and to Akiko for her first GPF medal!

:rock:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Go Miki! I'm so proud of you! Congratulations for your first GPF medal! I think this will garantee her a spot on the Olympic team!

<3

And also congratulations to Yu-Na for her 3rd GPF gold medal and to Akiko for her first GPF medal!

:rock:

Yeah. Miki got the spot along with Oda.

Am very pleased about that. She really deserves to go.

Now...if Akiko can just make it there.... *sigh*

Trewyn

Medalist
Ashley did more than just land the triples (and yes I think the flip was downgraded; also slightly two-footed; at least her double axel wasn't downgraded again!); she really skated passionately; she said on facebook she felt she skated too cautiously in the SP and a different Ashley showed up in the free; she smiled before starting her program, not at all tense and she really gave the choreography her all; despite minor mistakes (I think I saw two jumps that were slighly two-footed) I think this will go on my list of favorite performances of her. I think Ashley made a big step in proving she can deal with pressure... The biggest step will be keeping it together at Nats.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I hope this helps Akiko. But she still has ups and downs and her PCS is not either consistent or that high even at her very best skate. It is still up to Nationals. Yukari has the career.
Plus we also have to remember that Joannie and Alena had complete meltdowns here. Without their help, she might not have medalled even with her very best skate.

True, but Yukari has the leg wrap, and even she couldn't medal at 2008 Worlds despite arguably having one of her best LPs there.

And of course Akiko benefited from Joannie's and Alena's meltdowns, but realistically, is there even the remotest possibility that the ladies' event at Vancouver will be clean? I'd be more likely to put money on Alena Leonova winning the Olympic gold than expecting a clean, relatively well-skated ladies' event (Olympics is usually meltdown central, after all). If Akiko can skate like she did tonight, she might be able to capitalize at the Olympics (hopefully with the PCS she deserves).