Grand Prix Final: Ladies LP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final: Ladies LP

figurejennah

On the Ice
To me, it seems as if some are out to prove that everyone is against Yuna. I'm just pointing out the obvious: there are plenty of Yuna fans that cross the line, too.

I guess then we will wait for 100 "Mao had plastic surgery" videos on youtube or "Are Miki and Joannie's PCS too high" thread here. :laugh:

(You know I am being sarcastic, right? lol)

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
To me, it seems as if some are out to prove that everyone is against Yuna. I'm just pointing out the obvious: there are plenty of Yuna fans that cross the line, too.
No one was making any of those arguments, and you, as you seem to like to do, jumped into the fray with generalized comments and the "I'm above it all" air.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually, this is OT but a Youtube search tip: if you search for "[skater's name] -yuna" (without the quotes) it will screen out the hate videos. (Unfortunately, as a side consequence, it will also screen out legit vids with "Yuna" or that have "Yuna" in the description or tag, so keep that in mind). If you put "yuna" in quotations it should keep vids tagged with "Yu Na" (two separate words).

As a result, if you want to search for Yuna Kim, unfortunately there's no way to get around them...but for any other skater it works great :)

Last edited:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Because the PC scores are just opinions, and whatever forms an opinion is in the mind of the beholder.

ITA. I think a clean dramatic program with 7 triples deserve more than 52+ PCS. The judges are definitely holding her down and waiting for the top 3 to deliver. Her PCS should be at least in 55-57 range and her FS should be over 120.

But the final placement was correct thou. If only Miki landed a clean 3S, it might just be enough to win. But good for her thou, as she usually do better as underdog. winning GPF title over Yuna might be too much pressure for her. right now she is in a good position, her PCS are good and she just need to land the 3+3 and 2A+3T.

R.D.

Record Breaker
ITA. I think a clean dramatic program with 7 triples deserve more than 52+ PCS. The judges are definitely holding her down and waiting for the top 3 to deliver. Her PCS should be at least in 55-57 range and her FS should be over 120.

If that happens at the Olys she might get a better score.

Queens Guy

Rinkside

If you were right, there would be plenty of, and probably more, Mao fans crossing the line, too. I wrote somewhere that the fight and hatred between Korean and Japanese started way before Columbus "discovered" America. There will always be struggle between them as long as they exist. They fight everywhere, of course, including on YouTube. They use names of those skaters on their videos. Your assumption that they are fans of figure skating or those skaters is WRONG.

One should not bring up Yuna fan vs. Mao fan thing on boards. It will invite unnecessary arguments. That has happened in other threads.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Actually, this is OT but a Youtube search tip: if you search for "[skater's name] -yuna" (without the quotes) it will screen out the hate videos. (Unfortunately, as a side consequence, it will also screen out legit vids with "Yuna" or that have "Yuna" in the description or tag, so keep that in mind). If you put "yuna" in quotations it should keep vids tagged with "Yu Na" (two separate words).

As a result, if you want to search for Yuna Kim, unfortunately there's no way to get around them...but for any other skater it works great :)

Thanks. I hated it when I was looking for Abbott's long this season because all the hate videos clogging everything up.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If you were right, there would be plenty of, and probably more, Mao fans crossing the line, too. I wrote somewhere that the fight and hatred between Korean and Japanese started way before Columbus so called discovered America. There will be struggle between them as long as they exist. They fight everywhere including on YouTube. They use names of those skaters. Your assumption that they are fans of figure skating or those skaters is WRONG.

Good point. I think I might have even said something earlier to the effect of Yuna Kim being used as a scapegoat for Korean hate. Anyway, this is way OT

Last edited:

katakwan

Rinkside
I defend any skater who is hated for no reason. I didn’t know that person was a pure Yuna hater and I also thought it was possible that people could misunderstand her if they had only exaggerated and biased information.

I’m a fan of skaters who are doing great. I may not love Yuna if she no longer performs wonderfully, for example, next year/season. However, I will still defend her if she gets attacked for incorrect information or any reason irrelevant to figure skating.

Yeah, I know haters wouldn’t listen to whatever I say, but I still shared my opinion because I saw someone else (who didn’t seem to be anti-Yuna) complaining she was always making excuses. So, my post was for her/him/them as well :)

Oh~ I am so sad cause my suggestion turned out crabs. :laugh:

I belive Yu-Na will be able to make you love her so long.:)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
All this Yuna business is so confusing. I don't get how anyone who appreciates skating can hate her....she's SO good! I'm sorry but even with the 3-2 and when she skips the flip, she is still fast and elegant with great height on her jumps.

Also, I just watched the ladies LP again. I really don't think it's fair to say Alena bombed, her FS was decent to the blind eye. I thought Joannie's was worse than Alena's but her PCS held her up, also idk if I'd call Joannie's LP bombing either. Bombing is what Panuef did at SC, or what Carolina did at her worlds LP last year. I guess at the GPF, Alena and Joannie's LPs look sub par, but they really were fine

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm still suffering from sitting up squinting at my monitor half the night, so I haven't read everything posted yet, just a random peek here and there, and I don't want to get involved in any knee-jerk Miki Vs. Yuna rantings.. but I think it's a buttercup post fom some pages back that I want to second here..GET MIKI AWAY FROM MOROZOV !..What a hideous , hideous costume. Is he trying to humiliate her ? It only makes it more sad and cruel that she has to go head to head with Yuna, who ( leaving aside their relative skating skills) has a beautifully sophisticated, elegant costume and program.

Good for Ashley and Akiko ...Who can doubt Leonova will bounce back ?...Joannie better bounce back...Someone mused after the SP that not placing well here might take the pressure off her. I wish I could say I agreed. Hope she finds a way to fight through...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Someone mused after the SP that not placing well here might take the pressure off her. I wish I could say I agreed. Hope she finds a way to fight through...

Actually I think that person has a point. However, the Olympics ARE in Canada...I still say she has an advantage because of that. I do think Ando is more likely to be a spoiler than Rochette though.

ae9177

On the Ice
Congrats Yuna, Miki and Akiko! I'm SO happy for Akiko! Good for Ashely, this will give her another confidence boost at the Nationals. My money will be on Rachael and Ashely to make the Olympic team. (Although I still hope Mirai can make a miracle...)

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
I'm still suffering from sitting up squinting at my monitor half the night, so I haven't read everything posted yet, just a random peek here and there, and I don't want to get involved in any knee-jerk Miki Vs. Yuna rantings.. but I think it's a buttercup post fom some pages back that I want to second here..GET MIKI AWAY FROM MOROZOV !..What a hideous , hideous costume. Is he trying to humiliate her ? It only makes it more sad and cruel that she has to go head to head with Yuna, who ( leaving aside their relative skating skills) has a beautifully sophisticated, elegant costume and program.

Why the heck should she get away from Morozov ???

So far, he has worked out pretty well for her, and the record stands for itself.
Morosov is working out fine for Oda as well.

Also, nothing wrong with her trying out different costumes. Perhaps, I prefer her gold color Cleopatra costume from earlier this season to this one, but that is subjective anyway.

But words like sad and cruel ? Please, don't make me laugh :rofl:

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Oh, I agree ,generally, that getting the spotlight off a skater ( for whatever reason ) or a sudden lowering of expectation around him/her can work that way. But the pressure will still be on Joannie in Canada because unlike Japan or say, the US, we don't have a deep field of contenders of comparable calibre. I do think that she'll have that home advantage in Vancouver..but there'll be two months of unrelenting pressure leading up to it....be strong, Joannie

BTW, I'm not talking about an advantage to win..just to skate her best..let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited:

viv

On the Ice
... Yeah, I know haters wouldn’t listen to whatever I say, but I still shared my opinion because I saw someone else (who didn’t seem to be anti-Yuna) complaining she was always making excuses. So, my post was for her/him/them as well :)

Thanks! :)

I'm not anti-Yuna at all, in fact I think she is a great skater and I didn't say any "horrid" things about her, as someone above wrote. I just don't like her attitude of making excuses, and I noticed that she tends to do that whenever she didn't skate flawless - and very often she says she doesn't want to make excuses when she is doing exactly that. IMO she could just have played the incident with her blades down when asked by the press. I'm not an uber of any other female skater, that's just my opinion.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think if Miki had done that 3/3 she would have won. (or should have won). She must be kicking herself. I hope that Joannie can pull it all together, she is not handling the pressure on being a medal contender at all well...in a way that silver last year was the worst thing for her because not her country' s expectations are sky high. Two beautiful programs, but if she can't skate them clean.....

nice job Ashely, but she still is a question mark for the international judges, something that USFSA should consider when choosing the olympic team. A short like that in Vancouver will leave her down in 13 place or so.

YN fan

Rinkside
Man, I'm really liking this podium look (not saying that I didn't want other skaters to be on the podium). Congrats to everybody....I mean everybody. There are so many wolrd class skaters. I think that making it to the GPF itself is a huge accomplishment.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yep, Ashley may have just helped her case with the USFS, to be assigned one of the USA's OG spots. And Akiko to get preference over Fumie for a spot...though Akiko vs Yukari might be a tougher call.

Hmmm. If Rochette and Leonova had skated merely mediocre performances, Ashley would have been last, because her SP score was so low. She finished 4th only because those two skaters utterly and unexpectedly bombed.

What tells the story is that Ashley was 12 points out of the medals. Why? Because in the SP, she got gigged on all 3 jumps: She two-footed the flip in combination and the flutz (which got "e") and URd the 2A. In the FS, she URd the flip in the 2A sequence and again got a 2-point deduction for her flutz.

Ashley needs to do the 3Lo in the SP in place of the lutz, and in the FS replace the lutz with a 3T. A clean 3T with +GOE will score higher than a lutz with an "e".