Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Prix Final: Ladies LP

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Well, knowing only top 4 placement and no score, it seems as if Kim rebounded, Ando held on, Suzuki had a SOHL and Wagner made a solid case for herself to be put on the US team.

Congrats on 4th when most everyone predicted you 6th
    Ashley skated an excellent program . She hit all her jumps, nice spins, beautiful spiral sequence. She scored 107 + (maybe an ur call) cause I thought it would be higher. Not her season best which I think was 108+. Ashley held her own in a talented field of ladies. Fist pump at the end and she also had nice response from the audience. I was impressed. Oh yeah she is going to Vancouver if she keeps this up at Nationals.

I like Ashley. I hope she gets to go.

Custom Title
    Congratulations to Yu-Na, Miki and Akiko!!!

I hope this establishes Akiko as a solid candidate for the Japanese Olympic team, she's such a joy to watch. Barring complete meltdown at Japanese Nationals, it looks like Miki's in for sure.

Glad to see Yu-Na fight off her 3F demons, it was so sad seeing her money jump disappear for awhile....welcome back, Yu-Na's 3F!

And ouch for Joannie....I hope this gets some pressure off her, especially since CBC was promoting her as Yu-Na's biggest rival :banging:

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Congratulations to Yu-Na, Miki and Akiko!!!

I hope this establishes Akiko as a solid candidate for the Japanese Olympic team, she's such a joy to watch. Barring complete meltdown at Japanese Nationals, it looks like Miki's in for sure.

Glad to see Yu-Na fight off her 3F demons, it was so sad seeing her money jump disappear for awhile....welcome back, Yu-Na's 3F!

And ouch for Joannie....I hope this gets some pressure off her, especially since CBC was promoting her as Yu-Na's biggest rival :banging:
    I hope this helps Akiko. But she still has ups and downs and her PCS is not either consistent or that high even at her very best skate. It is still up to Nationals. Yukari has the career.
    Plus we also have to remember that Joannie and Alena had complete meltdowns here. Without their help, she might not have medalled even with her very best skate.

Tripping on the Podium
    I didn't read previous posts yet, but did anyone mention that Yu-Na skated today with damaged blades? Both blades had been damaged during the Saturday practice. That reminded me of PJ Kwong having said that Yu-Na would win with guards on blades. I wasn't surprised too much because she used to win with bad injuries. I'm glad she won gold despite lots of trouble this weekend.
    Last edited by french quarter; 12-05-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Go Miki! I'm so proud of you! Congratulations for your first GPF medal! I think this will garantee her a spot on the Olympic team!

<3

And also congratulations to Yu-Na for her 3rd GPF gold medal and to Akiko for her first GPF medal!

Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Go Miki! I'm so proud of you! Congratulations for your first GPF medal! I think this will garantee her a spot on the Olympic team!

<3

And also congratulations to Yu-Na for her 3rd GPF gold medal and to Akiko for her first GPF medal!

Yeah. Miki got the spot along with Oda.

Am very pleased about that. She really deserves to go.

Now...if Akiko can just make it there.... *sigh*

Custom Title
    Ashley did more than just land the triples (and yes I think the flip was downgraded; also slightly two-footed; at least her double axel wasn't downgraded again!); she really skated passionately; she said on facebook she felt she skated too cautiously in the SP and a different Ashley showed up in the free; she smiled before starting her program, not at all tense and she really gave the choreography her all; despite minor mistakes (I think I saw two jumps that were slighly two-footed) I think this will go on my list of favorite performances of her. I think Ashley made a big step in proving she can deal with pressure... The biggest step will be keeping it together at Nats.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by french quarter View Post
    I didn't read previous posts yet, but did anyone mention that Yu-Na skated today with damaged blades? Both blades had been damaged during the Saturday practice.
    Why and how come?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I hope this helps Akiko. But she still has ups and downs and her PCS is not either consistent or that high even at her very best skate. It is still up to Nationals. Yukari has the career.
    Plus we also have to remember that Joannie and Alena had complete meltdowns here. Without their help, she might not have medalled even with her very best skate.
    True, but Yukari has the leg wrap, and even she couldn't medal at 2008 Worlds despite arguably having one of her best LPs there.

And of course Akiko benefited from Joannie's and Alena's meltdowns, but realistically, is there even the remotest possibility that the ladies' event at Vancouver will be clean? I'd be more likely to put money on Alena Leonova winning the Olympic gold than expecting a clean, relatively well-skated ladies' event (Olympics is usually meltdown central, after all). If Akiko can skate like she did tonight, she might be able to capitalize at the Olympics (hopefully with the PCS she deserves).

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Ashley did more than just land the triples (and yes I think the flip was downgraded; also slightly two-footed; at least her double axel wasn't downgraded again!); she really skated passionately; she said on facebook she felt she skated too cautiously in the SP and a different Ashley showed up in the free; she smiled before starting her program, not at all tense and she really gave the choreography her all; despite minor mistakes (I think I saw two jumps that were slighly two-footed) I think this will go on my list of favorite performances of her. I think Ashley made a big step in proving she can deal with pressure... The biggest step will be keeping it together at Nats.
    It's a big step forward for her but remember that Nats is still number one on the USFS list when deciding the team. It's VERY important that she holds it together there and places in the top 2. It's not going to be easy since there are several other US girls that can gain a point advantage on her in the SP. (Flatt, Czisny, Nagasu). But she can keep herself at least within striking distance if she can do well.

What this did was to set her up as a favorite for the US team (along with Flatt). With that comes some pressure (but likely less than the amount that will be on the reigning champ)

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    True, but Yukari has the leg wrap, and even she couldn't medal at 2008 Worlds despite arguably having one of her best LPs there.

And of course Akiko benefited from Joannie's and Alena's meltdowns, but realistically, is there even the remotest possibility that the ladies' event at Vancouver will be clean? I'd be more likely to put money on Alena Leonova winning the Olympic gold than expecting a clean, relatively well-skated ladies' event (Olympics is usually meltdown central, after all). If Akiko can skate like she did tonight, she might be able to capitalize at the Olympics (hopefully with the PCS she deserves).
    Yeah, I hope so. The reputation score, that's the only problem for her right now.

(Olympics is usually meltdown central, after all).

That makes me concerned about Joannie. She seems to be under a lot of pressures already and I do not see it lifted there.

Mao has barely been strong under pressures, either.

Yuna and Miki may be the ones who are strongest under pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Why and how come?
    I think during morning practice, she damaged her left blade (the article said inside edge was damaged or something...). I saw some photos of her showing her blade to Orser and so on, but I had no idea what was going on. She said an emergency repair was made, but of course it's not like skating on an undamaged blade.

However, she said she doesn't believe that the blade should be blamed for her performance. She said her performance at the competition was unsatisfactory but she's happy that she won.

http://kr.news.yahoo.com/sports/golf...5634&from=rank

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    I think during morning practice, she damaged her left blade (the article said inside edge was damaged or something...). I saw some photos of her showing her blade to Orser and so on, but I had no idea what was going on. She said an emergency repair was made, but of course it's not like skating on an undamaged blade.

However, she said she doesn't believe that the blade should be blamed for her performance. She said her performance at the competition was unsatisfactory but she's happy that she won.

Anything on the ice? It can't be damaged by just skating on the ice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post

I hate it when she does that. Why can't she keep her mouth closed when she skated ... well, not actually bad, but not on her normal standard? That "No apologies, but..." really annoys me.

hikki: ...It's interesting both Morozov's pupils tonight opted for conservative jumping strategies... I personally would love to have seen 3/3 and 2-3.
    Strategy, I think. With both being on the podium as best Japanese skater, they both are qualified for Olympics no matter how or if they will start at Japanese Nationals. Morozov could consider now even not going to Japan for Nationals but staying in training in the US or Canada, or going to Nationals but with no special preparation for competition.
    Last edited by viv; 12-05-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast