Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 303

Thread: Grand Prix Final: Ladies LP

  1. #211
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,779
    I'm still suffering from sitting up squinting at my monitor half the night, so I haven't read everything posted yet, just a random peek here and there, and I don't want to get involved in any knee-jerk Miki Vs. Yuna rantings.. but I think it's a buttercup post fom some pages back that I want to second here..GET MIKI AWAY FROM MOROZOV !..What a hideous , hideous costume. Is he trying to humiliate her ? It only makes it more sad and cruel that she has to go head to head with Yuna, who ( leaving aside their relative skating skills) has a beautifully sophisticated, elegant costume and program.

    Good for Ashley and Akiko ...Who can doubt Leonova will bounce back ?...Joannie better bounce back...Someone mused after the SP that not placing well here might take the pressure off her. I wish I could say I agreed. Hope she finds a way to fight through...

  2. #212
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,480
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Someone mused after the SP that not placing well here might take the pressure off her. I wish I could say I agreed. Hope she finds a way to fight through...
    Actually I think that person has a point. However, the Olympics ARE in Canada...I still say she has an advantage because of that. I do think Ando is more likely to be a spoiler than Rochette though.

  3. #213
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    239
    Congrats Yuna, Miki and Akiko! I'm SO happy for Akiko! Good for Ashely, this will give her another confidence boost at the Nationals. My money will be on Rachael and Ashely to make the Olympic team. (Although I still hope Mirai can make a miracle...)

  4. #214
    Custom Title DragonPhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    I'm still suffering from sitting up squinting at my monitor half the night, so I haven't read everything posted yet, just a random peek here and there, and I don't want to get involved in any knee-jerk Miki Vs. Yuna rantings.. but I think it's a buttercup post fom some pages back that I want to second here..GET MIKI AWAY FROM MOROZOV !..What a hideous , hideous costume. Is he trying to humiliate her ? It only makes it more sad and cruel that she has to go head to head with Yuna, who ( leaving aside their relative skating skills) has a beautifully sophisticated, elegant costume and program.
    Why the heck should she get away from Morozov ???

    So far, he has worked out pretty well for her, and the record stands for itself.
    Morosov is working out fine for Oda as well.

    Also, nothing wrong with her trying out different costumes. Perhaps, I prefer her gold color Cleopatra costume from earlier this season to this one, but that is subjective anyway.

    But words like sad and cruel ? Please, don't make me laugh
    Last edited by DragonPhoenix; 12-05-2009 at 01:41 PM.

  5. #215
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,779
    Oh, I agree ,generally, that getting the spotlight off a skater ( for whatever reason ) or a sudden lowering of expectation around him/her can work that way. But the pressure will still be on Joannie in Canada because unlike Japan or say, the US, we don't have a deep field of contenders of comparable calibre. I do think that she'll have that home advantage in Vancouver..but there'll be two months of unrelenting pressure leading up to it....be strong, Joannie

    BTW, I'm not talking about an advantage to win..just to skate her best..let the chips fall where they may.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 12-05-2009 at 01:59 PM.

  6. #216
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by newvie View Post
    ... Yeah, I know haters wouldn’t listen to whatever I say, but I still shared my opinion because I saw someone else (who didn’t seem to be anti-Yuna) complaining she was always making excuses. So, my post was for her/him/them as well
    Thanks!

    I'm not anti-Yuna at all, in fact I think she is a great skater and I didn't say any "horrid" things about her, as someone above wrote. I just don't like her attitude of making excuses, and I noticed that she tends to do that whenever she didn't skate flawless - and very often she says she doesn't want to make excuses when she is doing exactly that. IMO she could just have played the incident with her blades down when asked by the press. I'm not an uber of any other female skater, that's just my opinion.

  7. #217
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,982
    I think if Miki had done that 3/3 she would have won. (or should have won). She must be kicking herself. I hope that Joannie can pull it all together, she is not handling the pressure on being a medal contender at all well...in a way that silver last year was the worst thing for her because not her country' s expectations are sky high. Two beautiful programs, but if she can't skate them clean.....

    nice job Ashely, but she still is a question mark for the international judges, something that USFSA should consider when choosing the olympic team. A short like that in Vancouver will leave her down in 13 place or so.

  8. #218
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    282
    huooooooo~ finally it's over. What a fight for Yuna! Congrats to all the medalists!

  9. #219
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    14
    Man, I'm really liking this podium look (not saying that I didn't want other skaters to be on the podium). Congrats to everybody....I mean everybody. There are so many wolrd class skaters. I think that making it to the GPF itself is a huge accomplishment.

  10. #220
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,265
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Yep, Ashley may have just helped her case with the USFS, to be assigned one of the USA's OG spots. And Akiko to get preference over Fumie for a spot...though Akiko vs Yukari might be a tougher call.
    Hmmm. If Rochette and Leonova had skated merely mediocre performances, Ashley would have been last, because her SP score was so low. She finished 4th only because those two skaters utterly and unexpectedly bombed.

    What tells the story is that Ashley was 12 points out of the medals. Why? Because in the SP, she got gigged on all 3 jumps: She two-footed the flip in combination and the flutz (which got "e") and URd the 2A. In the FS, she URd the flip in the 2A sequence and again got a 2-point deduction for her flutz.

    Ashley needs to do the 3Lo in the SP in place of the lutz, and in the FS replace the lutz with a 3T. A clean 3T with +GOE will score higher than a lutz with an "e".

  11. #221
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,480
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Hmmm. If Rochette and Leonova had skated merely mediocre performances, Ashley would have been last, because her SP score was so low. She finished 4th only because those two skaters utterly and unexpectedly bombed.
    True, but it's not like Ashley pulled the rug from under them or something

    (IOW, it's not her fault they bombed...it's about who's the best on THAT NIGHT- you either bring it or you don't. Also, that's exactly how she got to the GPF in the first place- she benefited from skaters bombing- e.g. Asada)

  12. #222
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    204
    akiko's program its a beauty, love the last moves in her step sequence such a shame that even with 7 triples she is still having pcs of a junior
    glad to see miki dealing with the pressure at home, its a shame she ur her salchow she could have won even without the 3-3 or 2-3
    contrats to yuna for winning again, its seems that her pcs dependes of her combinations, she got the same at skate america
    i really liked this podium , altthoug i miss mao

  13. #223
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Hmmm. If Rochette and Leonova had skated merely mediocre performances, Ashley would have been last, because her SP score was so low. She finished 4th only because those two skaters utterly and unexpectedly bombed.

    What tells the story is that Ashley was 12 points out of the medals. Why? Because in the SP, she got gigged on all 3 jumps: She two-footed the flip in combination and the flutz (which got "e") and URd the 2A. In the FS, she URd the flip in the 2A sequence and again got a 2-point deduction for her flutz.

    Ashley needs to do the 3Lo in the SP in place of the lutz, and in the FS replace the lutz with a 3T. A clean 3T with +GOE will score higher than a lutz with an "e".

    I don't think Ashley's SP was a disaster as people make it out to be; the flip was fully rotated (but two footed) and the axel wasn't badly underrotated (very strict tech caller). But Ashley has got to stop two-footing jumps! She didn't two-foot any jumps in Russia and I was so hopeful she had done away with that bad habit and it pains me to see it re-emerging. But her LP was very convincingly skated so she 'earned' that placement; 107+ is a very respectable score.

    I also feel that as long as Ashley's not capable to get the lutz on the correct edge she should leave it out of the SP because it's killing her score! Her technique on the lutz looked totally weird in the SP so I do believe she's working on it, but it's far from competition ready. And where's that triple-triple you say you're working on, Ashley? It's reported that she landed it multiple times in the GPF practices but we've yet to see it...

    But all in all I think Ashley pretty much made the best of her GPF outing. She also tweeted that she had the flu (she did look pale in the SP) so I still believe she can very well peak in January .

  14. #224
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Joannie becoming a lot like Alissa in that she can't be counted on to land more than 3-4 clean triples in the long. Also, I like how her LP here was comparable to the one she put down at SC and she got a 95 here and a 112 there ....hmm Canada. Plus if her scores were 2/10 of a point lower she would have been last.
    I agree
    Joannie is one of my fav , but
    PCS boost for Joannie at SC was just ridiculous.
    :frown2:

  15. #225
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    829
    After watching the ladies short and long programs, these are the words I would use to describe the skaters:

    Yuna - Ethereal (What more is there to say? Such a beautiful and talented skater!)
    Miki - Gorgeous (Another beautiful skater!)
    Akiko - Effervescent (Love her cheeriness! And her long program!!!)
    Ashley - Spunky (Full of energy)
    Joannie - Mature (Calm and passionate)
    Alena - Spirited (Carefree)

    Love them all!

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •