Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Grand Prix Final: Ladies LP

Quote Originally Posted by jovani2293 View Post
    I have to agree with you. She could have won the long program and the silver medal had her 3 loop been rotated. She can do the hardest technical programs in the world. If she does and Kim Yu-Na makes mistakes, she can and will win the OGM. But she has to keep up with Kim Yu-Na in the short cause if kim yu-na hit the margin can be to big to bet. She got a 66 in the short at the GPF with just a triple-double and a minor miktake on the layback spin. Kim got a 65 with a triple-triple(dg to a double) and a popped flip. She lose about 4 on the dg and 5 on the flip. Miki can get a 70+ in the short. In the long program, she can easily keep up with Kim Yu-Na and even score higher then Kim.
    Well Yu-na did lose credit for a spin too (if we are going to be honest) but the point is that Ando is dangerous if your Kim. I think she's quite capable of closing the gap technically and has less pressure on her. I think the judges sent a clear message at this competition about the fact that they don't regard Kim as unbeatable given how close Ando and Kim's PCS are. To say Ando is some kind of pretender is ridiculous. She's the only skater in the world who has managed to beat both Kim and Asada at the same competition. Don't get me wrong I think that if everyone skated lights out the best, I think that Ando would probably be behind Kim, Asada, Kostner, Rochette. BUT, I think that the judges really respect Ando for her consistency throughout the years and Ando is a better competitor than the other people I've mentioned.

Artistry

Miki's sp from 2008/09

Actually, I think I like her 2008/09 sp from Skate America even better.

This is the one from World's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shG7r9wSB_8

When Miki is on, she is capable of performing beautiful, unique, fluid, artistic moves.

One of these I especially liked was her graceful hand and fingertips movements from Skate America in 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFYqDEt-RI

In this video it is from 1:49 to 1:54

I’ve seen professional Balinese Dancing performances live, and some of Miki’s moves in that performance remind me of those.

I was looking for a super clear video but unfortunately this was the best one apparently available right now on YouTube. I’m still looking for a better video.

I find most of this performance quite artistic.

In her 2007 Worlds, I really liked her SP. For her LP she performed clean, but I missed some of her other moves.

I guess I like beautifully performed, unique and exotic artistry.

It seems to me a lot of people are only looking for Ballet. And I love Ballet too, but it is certainly not the only form of art or grace.

Actually I wish Miki would show more of these moves. I think the judging system restricts a lot of skaters from showing all their talent because they have so many jumps and other elements they must perform.
    Last edited by DragonPhoenix; 12-07-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Custom Title
    I was a bit taken aback by the poster who criticized Leonova for crying in the KnC after her bad performance. Part of Leonova's appeal is that she is totally transparent as a person, and she expresses exactly how she is feeling. She's at her best when she's feeling exuberant and happy, and that adds a lot to her performance on the ice. But she obviously wasn't feeling her best when skating the FS at the GPF, and she couldn't rise to the occasion. So of course her sadness poured out of her in the KnC!

Leonova has been fairly consistent, and this was the first truly bad performance we've seen from her. So how about cutting the lady a break?

Anyway, if it weren't for Leonova bombing, Rochette would have finished last. And how popular would that have been?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Anyway, if it weren't for Leonova bombing, Rochette would have finished last. And how popular would that have been?
    Leonova's TES was almost 5 points higher than Rochette's, meaning if Rochette wasn't so expressive, she would have been last. Technically, Joannie bombed worse than Leonova did. Also, Akiko has the highest TES!

Custom Title
    I just had another look at the protocols... Ashley's PCS is so low!! By far the lowest of the whole bunch; I don't get that. Her skating skills are definitely better than Leonova, her posture thousand times better than Miki she does a lot of transitions, she's pretty musical and she really tries to interpret the music. I get that she may not be at the level of Rochette and Yu Na, especially as far as skating skills go; and Akiko had a delicious interpretation, so yes I'd have Ashley behind her on PCS as well; but still... Some judges gave her marks around 5.70 for PCS marks! That's low! I was wondering something; would Ashley's PCS marks benifit from using a more well known choreographer like David Wilson (if she could afford him)?

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I was a bit taken aback by the poster who criticized Leonova for crying in the KnC after her bad performance. Part of Leonova's appeal is that she is totally transparent as a person, and she expresses exactly how she is feeling. She's at her best when she's feeling exuberant and happy, and that adds a lot to her performance on the ice. But she obviously wasn't feeling her best when skating the FS at the GPF, and she couldn't rise to the occasion. So of course her sadness poured out of her in the KnC!

Leonova has been fairly consistent, and this was the first truly bad performance we've seen from her. So how about cutting the lady a break?

ITA about Leonova.

And besides - does skating really need a section of competitions known simply as "Kiss"?

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    And besides - does skating really need a section of competitions known simply as "Kiss"?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    meaning you think she will withdraw from Japanese Nationals to save herself the trip? Why not just train in Japan for 3 more weeks?
    I have no idea what Miki would have done, only to state my opinions. All I know is that bagging the oly qualification now means that she can concentrate on her training from here to the Olys. That's an advantage she could use over other competitors. Good for Miki.

Custom Title

ITA about Leonova.

Haha nope. Alena is still a teenager, teenagers are emotional, the crying makes sense. I prefer it to Ashley's shout out to her boyfriend and Caroline's snarky remarks about her scores. Haha the kiss and cry is always so entertaining

Also, the judging was iffy, I kinda feel that Joannie could have come in last...Alena landed more triples than she did. It could have gone either way

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    I just had another look at the protocols... Ashley's PCS is so low!! By far the lowest of the whole bunch; I don't get that. Her skating skills are definitely better than Leonova, her posture thousand times better than Miki she does a lot of transitions, she's pretty musical and she really tries to interpret the music. I get that she may not be at the level of Rochette and Yu Na, especially as far as skating skills go; and Akiko had a delicious interpretation, so yes I'd have Ashley behind her on PCS as well; but still... Some judges gave her marks around 5.70 for PCS marks! That's low! I was wondering something; would Ashley's PCS marks benifit from using a more well known choreographer like David Wilson (if she could afford him)?
    As a newly minted Ashley fan, I did enjoy her skate however, I can see her getting low PCS... she rushes through elements and hasn't developed the "flow" just yet. But she's improving and I totally expect to see her on the olympic team...as for David Wilson - do we really yet another Wilson program? I think not...

ITA about Leonova.

If we switch the name to simply "Kiss" would that give skaters unhappy with their scores the ability to give judges direction on what to kiss?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    If we switch the name to simply "Kiss" would that give skaters unhappy with their scores the ability to give judges direction on what to kiss?
    Hmmm, think I'll change my vote. Maybe that's exactly what skating needs. After all, look how much attention Tyra got.

Shoe Diva
    Hmmm, think I'll change my vote. Maybe that's exactly what skating needs. After all, look how much attention Tyra got.
    And I'm all about skating getting some much needed attention...we should start a petition! I bet little Miss Caroline whould be the first to sign...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Ashley finished last in the SP, and that's what hurt her PCS scores: she led off the FS competition. I know, CoP is supposed to prevent that from being the case, but it is. The composition of the judging panel didn't help, either: JPN, ISR, RUS, KOR, CZE, GER, UKR, USA, CAN.

JPN, ISR, RUS, KOR, CZE, GER, UKR, USA, CAN.
    So people from Israel, Korea, Russia, the Czech Republic, Germany, Ukraine and Canada naturally preferred the Japanese skater, Suzuki, to the American one?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    So people from Israel, Korea, Russia, the Czech Republic, Germany, Ukraine and Canada naturally preferred the Japanese skater, Suzuki, to the American one?
    :chorus:

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast