Grand Prix Final: Ladies LP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final: Ladies LP

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ashley did more than just land the triples (and yes I think the flip was downgraded; also slightly two-footed; at least her double axel wasn't downgraded again!); she really skated passionately; she said on facebook she felt she skated too cautiously in the SP and a different Ashley showed up in the free; she smiled before starting her program, not at all tense and she really gave the choreography her all; despite minor mistakes (I think I saw two jumps that were slighly two-footed) I think this will go on my list of favorite performances of her. I think Ashley made a big step in proving she can deal with pressure... The biggest step will be keeping it together at Nats.

It's a big step forward for her but remember that Nats is still number one on the USFS list when deciding the team. It's VERY important that she holds it together there and places in the top 2. It's not going to be easy since there are several other US girls that can gain a point advantage on her in the SP. (Flatt, Czisny, Nagasu). But she can keep herself at least within striking distance if she can do well.

What this did was to set her up as a favorite for the US team (along with Flatt). With that comes some pressure (but likely less than the amount that will be on the reigning champ)

Bennett

Record Breaker
True, but Yukari has the leg wrap, and even she couldn't medal at 2008 Worlds despite arguably having one of her best LPs there.

And of course Akiko benefited from Joannie's and Alena's meltdowns, but realistically, is there even the remotest possibility that the ladies' event at Vancouver will be clean? I'd be more likely to put money on Alena Leonova winning the Olympic gold than expecting a clean, relatively well-skated ladies' event (Olympics is usually meltdown central, after all). If Akiko can skate like she did tonight, she might be able to capitalize at the Olympics (hopefully with the PCS she deserves).

Yeah, I hope so. The reputation score, that's the only problem for her right now.

(Olympics is usually meltdown central, after all).

:laugh:

That makes me concerned about Joannie. She seems to be under a lot of pressures already and I do not see it lifted there.

Mao has barely been strong under pressures, either.

Yuna and Miki may be the ones who are strongest under pressures.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Why and how come?

I think during morning practice, she damaged her left blade (the article said inside edge was damaged or something...). I saw some photos of her showing her blade to Orser and so on, but I had no idea what was going on. She said an emergency repair was made, but of course it's not like skating on an undamaged blade.

However, she said she doesn't believe that the blade should be blamed for her performance. She said her performance at the competition was unsatisfactory but she's happy that she won.

http://kr.news.yahoo.com/sports/golf/view?aid=2009120521513855634&from=rank

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think during morning practice, she damaged her left blade (the article said inside edge was damaged or something...). I saw some photos of her showing her blade to Orser and so on, but I had no idea what was going on. She said an emergency repair was made, but of course it's not like skating on an undamaged blade.

However, she said she doesn't believe that the blade should be blamed for her performance. She said her performance at the competition was unsatisfactory but she's happy that she won.

Anything on the ice? It can't be damaged by just skating on the ice.

viv

On the Ice

I hate it when she does that. Why can't she keep her mouth closed when she skated ... well, not actually bad, but not on her normal standard? That "No apologies, but..." really annoys me.

hikki: ...It's interesting both Morozov's pupils tonight opted for conservative jumping strategies... I personally would love to have seen 3/3 and 2-3.

Strategy, I think. With both being on the podium as best Japanese skater, they both are qualified for Olympics no matter how or if they will start at Japanese Nationals. Morozov could consider now even not going to Japan for Nationals but staying in training in the US or Canada, or going to Nationals but with no special preparation for competition.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
A news report said that blades of her boots hit each other when she tried Triple Lutz during the practice. Inner blade on her left boot was smashed such that she felt leaning to one side.

Wow. Surprise. I am glad that she was NOT injured though.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I hate it when she does that. Why can't she keep her mouth closed when she skated ... well, not actually bad, but not on her normal standard? That "No apologies, but..." really annoys me.

Even if she wanted to keep her mouth shut, I think it's impossible since the media's been following & watching her very closely, and there have been pictures of her examining her left blade, showing it to Orser and talking to him about it, etc. etc. etc. I mean, it's not like she can ask whoever repaired it to keep it secret.

katakwan

Rinkside
A news report said that blades of her boots hit each other when she tried Triple Lutz during the practice. Inner blade on her left boot was smashed such that she felt leaning to one side.

Wow~

Well done with such a blade which went for a burton, she must be the goddess of figure skating.:clap:

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
Congratulations Miki on your Silver !!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations YuNa on your Gold, and Akiko on your Bronze !!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done !!!

Bennett

Record Breaker
Wow~

Well done with such a blade which went for a burton, she must be the goddess of figure skating.:clap:

She looked rather anxious tonight. But that makes sense with the broken blade. I am glad that she did well. It was good that the blade did not break further during the free skate. It could have been dangerous.

The first thing they would do going home would be to replace the blade then! I wonder if she visits Korea a bit for holidays before going back to Canada.

About Yukari's leg wrap; yes I think it's very unattractive but it also makes her jumps look underrotated, which is a problem these days. She's also not very consistent; that's why Akiko could give her a run for her money. I *do* feel Yukari should have medaled at 2008 Worlds. Yukari's olympic chances aren't gone yet, but I personally feel Akiko should get the chance... Japanese Nats should be a pretty tough event!

To me, the thing that makes the leg wrap more distressing than, say, a sub-par layback is that it makes me feel that any moment the skater is going to fall. I'm not an expert, but to me a less-than-flexible layback can still have pleasing line and be done to enhance the rhythm of the music (though when you see someone like Shizuka, it spoils you for anyone else--her ina bauer is to die for), and it's not actually bad technique. A leg wrap, on the other hand, is bad technique. It also seems to slow the jump down in the air, at least to the naked eye. Not only do I think that a skater doing a wrapped leg should be marked down, but a coach teaching a wrapped leg should not be allowed to coach until he/she has received retraining. It's not fair to a beautiful competitor like Nakano that she'll never advance because she wasn't corrected at an early enough age. Really, I can't watch her half the time because I'm sure she'll just drop to the ice at any moment.

On the subject of todays final--hooray for the medalists! I hope I'll get to see their skates. I'm glad YuNa won even under adverse conditions. It's great that Miki is now keeping it together. And yay for Akiko! It's going to be a thrilling Olympics.

(And I do hope Mao is on the Japanese Olympics team. Even in eclipse, she's wonderful.)

i love to skate

Medalist

I agree. Her last three competitions she has made statements about the ice affecting her jumps, her skates being too tight, how a fall in the warm up was hard to shake, and now her blade had issues on Saturday. IMO, they sound a bit like excuses. I said it before, she needs a tougher mental game and needs to not get so distracted by little things.

So sad for Joannie. Now, everyone (most on these boards too) will count her out for a medal at the Olympics. She said she is going to start training like it's the beginning of the season again - she needs to just forget about the Grand Prix and train hard for Nationals.

I can't remember for sure, but she didn't have great skates at last year's final did she? I feel as if all our Canadian medal hopefuls are now underdogs and that will ease the pressure off of them at the Olympics - and will make it that much sweeter when they win medals ;)

french quarter

Rinkside
I wonder if she visits Korea a bit for holidays before going back to Canada.

She said she would not be back to Korea until after the Olympics. It's impossible for her to enjoy holidays in the country. They will not leave her alone. Canada is a better place if she wants some peace.

I agree. Her last three competitions she has made statements abouting the ice affecting her jumps, her skates being too tight, how a fall in the warm up was hard to shake, and now her blade had issues on Saturday. IMO, they sound a bit like excuses.

The media is watching her with a microscope and ask her all kinds of questions. She has been simply answering those questions. Should she not answer them? I have seen two Japanese sports programs ONLY discussing why Yu-Na skipped her flip at TEB. They interviewed her and even Shizuka Arakawa about it. It is HER who doesn't want to draw attention to those little things. She is stronger than you think.

Last edited:

newvie

Rinkside

But, that's what really happened. Having the blades damaged on the day of the competition is a big matter! And she clarified that "she doesn't believe that the blade should be blamed for her performance".

Yes, she talked about skipping a flip at TEB because she felt something on the ice (she also added "I don't know, i just couldn't jump) Why? because journalists asked about it first. However, she still said later it was her fault anyway if there was any mistake.

At SA where she bombed her LP, she never mentioned about her skate boot as a reason for the failure. It's just that media pple saw her tightening up her left boot again right before the performance and "guessed" that it could've been a reason. And she changed her left boot afterwards. You don't change your skating boots for fun.

I'm just worried that you'll still hate if Yuna says 'I couldn't perform well because of my injuries', which was her 'excuses' for two seasons (06-07 & 07-08). For your info, she said she was in good condition at all the competitions this year.

I hope that you try to understand the circumstances and context first before reaching the conclusion just with some stupid Youtube videos and exaggerated news articles.

Bennett

Record Breaker
So sad for Joannie. Now, everyone (most on these boards too) will count her out for a medal at the Olympics. She said she is going to start training like it's the beginning of the season again - she needs to just forget about the Grand Prix and train hard for Nationals.

I can't remember for sure, but she didn't have great skates at last year's final did she? I feel as if all our Canadian medal hopefuls are now underdogs and that will ease the pressure off of them at the Olympics - and will make it that much sweeter when they win medals ;)
Yeah, that would be a good scenario for her. I hope that the media knows her struggles and treats her like an underdog. But I am afraid that I highly doubt it. Ladies figure skating at the home country and she is THE one.
Joannie just needs to live with the hypes.

BTW, I feel it strange that Miki didn't even try either 3-3 or 2-3. So conservative.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
Ladies figure skating at the home country and she is THE one.
Joannie just needs to live with the hypes.

Ladies isn't the most popular here though.Pairs was the first event to sell out actually! There will be a cooling down period for the press - the men's hockey team will be announced at the end of the month and that will take on most of the press and pressure ;). Our skaters have a good five weeks to train before Nationals. I anticipate that things will get better. :clap:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Ladies isn't the most popular here though.Pairs was the first event to sell out actually! There will be a cooling down period for the press - the men's hockey team will be announced at the end of the month and that will take on most of the press and pressure ;). Our skaters have a good five weeks to train before Nationals. I anticipate that things will get better. :clap:

Good! Yeah, I can't imagine Joannie can beat hockey.:laugh: Go hockey then!

I woke up late this morning so I only caught The Ladies.

While I believe YuNa is a much better skater than Miki,I think Miki should have won the gold for this comp.

Bad hair days for YuNa, Joannie and Alena.

Akiko was fine and coming along nicely as I predicted several seasons back.

Ashley was my biggest surprise. Two clean routines! and improving steadily with a lot of determination.

Unfortunately,no nailbiting. Not the best from the competitors in this unexciting event.