10 Things I Learned from this Grand Prix Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

10 Things I Learned from this Grand Prix Season

i love to skate

Medalist
The Olys are in CANADA- I need not say more. :cool:

Ahh yes this should be added to the list:

If a Canadian skater wins a medal it is ONLY because they are from Canada and the judges have all gotten together and decided that the Canadian skaters should win medals - solely based on their nationality. They never deserve their marks. ALL Canadian skaters are held up. Canada is BAD. It's all Canada's fault.

Anything else need to be added to that?? :disapp:

janetfan

Match Penalty

If a Canadian skater wins a medal it is ONLY because they are from Canada and the judges have all gotten together and decided that the Canadian skaters should win medals - solely based on their nationality. They never deserve their marks. ALL Canadian skaters are held up. Canada is BAD. It's all Canada's fault.

Yes, you have very good fishing and scenery in Canada! :clap:

And Patrick will be ready and skating on fresh legs to go with his fresh mouth in Vancouver :)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker

ok. try again- The Olys are in Canada. The Hometown favorite will either Rise To The Occasion or Crumble Under The Pressure.

Sarah Hughes did the former in SLC. Kwan did the latter, and Kostner also did the latter in 2006.

Rochette will do ??? in 2010.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
The Olys are in CANADA- I need not say more. :cool:

Ah, through this line of thinking, should we assume that American skaters were benefited from 2002 Winter Olympics being held in Salt Lake City, USA? Timethy Goebel, Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, and Sarah Hughes? I never thought about it but, hey, it has the possibility, hasn't it?:biggrin:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I refer you to my post above.

(Everyone stands to benefit from a little home advantage though. But unlike team sports, not everyone has the opportunity. :cool: )

jennylovskt

Medalist
I refer you to my post above.

(Everyone stands to benefit from a little home advantage though. But unlike team sports, not everyone has the opportunity. :cool: )

I typed too slow. By the time I posted my, you have already responded to the question. I'll take your response as it is.

However, your first post regarding to this topic could be easily interpreted as what i love to skate said. There is a strong reason for that because there are already a lot of conspiracy theories along this line going on on the web and on this board.

Phoenix347

Final Flight

Uhh, I like Canadian Maple syrup??? :laugh:

jennylovskt

Medalist
The country where the competition is held plays a very important role in PCS of skaters.

Hmmm, no wonder why Timethy Goebel got such high presentation marks with three quads and a bunch of crossovers.;) (PCS is just seemingly like presentation marks in 6.0)

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm too tired right now to read all the way through, so apologies if I'm just echoing anyone else.

Imaginarypogue, I agree with almost all the points in your list. ;)( I wish there was an eyebrow-wiggling smilie )..but in regard to the Dom/Shabs , I confess to being fearful..(sigh) I just hope whoever wins truly deserves it..but many's the Russian dance couple that's been undeservedly held up at Olys or Worlds. ( sometimes over another Russian couple , depending on whose coach had more clout at the moment )...I thought last year's world's was pretty suspect . Another example among many that leaps to mind is Lobacheva & Averbukh's win at Vancouver World's. I managed to be there for that one, and it was blatant right from the CD's (slow, small patterns,sloppy, etc.) continuing through the OD and FD.

I know there will be those who'll cry foul whatever the outcome, but it's pretty frustrating when those cries have merit and are just brushed off as sour grapes. ( There isn't a nail-biting or hair-tearing-out smilie either..)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Many's the Russian dance couple that's been undeservedly held up at Olys or Worlds. ( sometimes over another Russian couple , depending on whose coach had more clout at the moment )...I thought last year's world's was pretty suspect . Another example among many that leaps to mind is Lobacheva & Averbukh's win at Vancouver World's. I managed to be there for that one, and it was blatant right from the CD's (slow, small patterns,sloppy, etc.) continuing through the OD and FD.
The wuzrobbing abilities of the Russians are such that they win even if they didn't win? Have the results been changed retroactively? I'm impressed with the Power of Piseev. :p

For the record, L/A won Worlds only once, and that was in Nagano 2002, where they came in as the Olympic silver medalists (A/P did not compete). Barbara Fusar-Poli and Maurizzio Margaglio won the ice dance event in Vancouver in 2001, and I agree, it was ludicrous for them to take the title. Though not that much more suspect than S/P winning pairs that year. But it's not politiks unless the Russians are involved, is it? :unsure:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Definitely, colleen. Given COP and it's questionable application there is gonna be some claims that are worthy of attention. They'll just be hard to suss out amongst all the kneejerk criticisms. And this goes for everyone. That's the challenge.

FWIW, I don't think DomShabs will be winning again.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I learned that our neighbors to the north are not putting up with any American sass this year...and that CoP is simply awful.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh: buttercup..I stand corrected...pardon me ( tired and foggy)... At that competition I , wasn't impressed with some other scores either ( including F/M ), but L/A were an absolute standout for blatant propping up. It stands out in my mind as one of the worst things I've seen. In person,it was so obvious, I was shocked. I would have thought the judges would have had to be a bit more subtle about it. L/A certainly "won" a higher placement than they deserved and a number of teams suffered accordingly...:biggrin: ( but...my bad.)

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
:laugh: buttercup..I stand corrected...pardon me ( tired and foggy)... At that competition I , wasn't impressed with some other scores either ( including F/M ), but L/A were an absolute standout for blatant propping up. It stands out in my mind as one of the worst things I've seen. In person,it was so obvious, I was shocked. I would have thought the judges would have had to be a bit more subtle about it. L/A certainly "won" a higher placement than they deserved and a number of teams suffered accordingly...:biggrin: ( but...my bad.)

Isn't it interesting how people can view the same event so differently? This Goldenskate review of the 2002 Worlds, for instance, said L/As' performance "left little question that they were the best ice dancers in the world", while pointing out slips and mistakes made by other teams like B/K and technique issues by D/V.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)..Except I was referring to 2001. ..I freely admit to my late night confusion with the placements, lack of fact checking, etc. 8 yrs.later :p( I blush.)
However , in the rink at the time , it was pretty obvious that they were being held up to their pre-injury standard. On the concourse after the various segments,there were of course,all sorts of opinions favouring or disparaging this couple vis a vis that couple ,but the head shaking and disbelief over L/A was pretty universal.