10 Things I Learned from this Grand Prix Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

10 Things I Learned from this Grand Prix Season

This is actually really fun!

If Brian Joubert wins in Vancouver it'll be because the judges are all fangirls who are too distracted by his hip thrusting and not because he can be a charismatic performer with decent jumps and a quad.

If the Olympics are a splatfest it'll be becauseCoP is the root of all evil and is ruining figure skating and not because high-pressure events like the Olympics are almost always a splatfest.

If Yu-Na Kim wins in Vancouver it'll be because the Korean Skating Federation bribed the tech caller and not because she is an excellent skater and currently the class of the field right now.

If Mao Asada wins in Vancouver it'll be because the JSF and Japanese sponsors threatened the ISU and not because she is a talented skater despite some dodgy costuming and choreography.

If my favourite skater doesn't win in Vancouver it'll be because the judges are all lying/cheating/horrible people who are biased or blind and not because my favourite skater may not have performed well or other skaters performed better.
And if Sasha Cohen gets to Vancouver it will be because the US judges are a bunch of dolts, not because she finally came back strong and placed 1st or 2nd at Nationals.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Great Job IP!! :agree::clap:

I agree with most but mostly with #9... It began when the Fan pretending to be an Analyist went on this rant about how Yuna was allowing the other skaters the belief they they could actually win the OGM. Seriously? Most assine thing said all afternoon... its bad enough when the ubers and bots start with "Oh, she's unbeatable! They're all just skating for silver and bronze!" It a totally different thing when those whose job is to educate the masses on the nuances of competiton and differentiate the fact from the fiction. When was the last time the clear favorite won the OGM in the ladies competition? The mid 80s? Give the skaters the respect due and let the competition figure out whose the best.

Now if someone on this board can actually guarntee the outcome of the Olympics - I say you have waaayyy too much time on your hands and should spend said time figuring out the numbers to the Mega Millions lottery...

Now, I'm so sure about the USFSA having that tough a job... send the top competitiors from Nationals and let the chips fall where they may. And seriously, outside of Dance and perhaps Mens - the focus should be on the Worlds team because that's the place the US might actually make some noise.

Just my two thoughts on an excellent post...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I learned that even if a US dance team does something unprecedented, like win the GPF, that NBC will give it nor more than a 1 minute mention in a 2 hour program about men and women.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I learned that to be the Ladies GP Champion in 2009 you only need 3 clean triples, one sloppy triple, and you don't need a 3x3 either.

Maybe Kristi should consider a comeback. ;)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I learned that to be the Ladies GP Champion in 2009 you only need 3 clean triples, one sloppy triple, and you don't need a 3x3 either.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now you be careful JanetFan - someone's gonna "educate" you on superior spins and spirals and how you "just need to adjust to more difficult technical demands of CoP!";)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I learned that "a good man is hard to beat," and that "a good man with a good tan is even harder to beat." :)

In fact, I am so impressionable that today I asked for a gift certificate to the local tanning salon for my Christmas present.:yes:

I hope with a deep enough tan I can get a girlfriend just like Tan-ith. :cool:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty

Now you be careful JanetFan - someone's gonna "educate" you on superior spins and spirals and how you "just need to adjust to more difficult technical demands of CoP!";)

Thanks for the warning kwanford. :)
I will be on full alert for a lecture from the Canadians that typically follows observations about the advancement CoP has brought to figure skating. :biggrin:

I think I will be safe for a few days while they contemplate Joannie's latest meltdown ;)

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Skating under CoP is soooo easy, crowning champions with only 3-4 clean triples in the LP! First it's too technically exacting and demanding on the underrotation calls, but now it's all the fault of the poor ladies who just aren't as good as the 6.0 era skaters. That 6.0 sure was magical at cultivating technical and artistic talent!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Oh goodness me, your punning skill deserves high 9s across the (message) board. Gift certificate, that asks a little too much of us, but we could surely pool enough money to buy you a big bottle of self-tanner.

With all the hints you gave us, I have finally been able to decrypt your anagram nick name Janetfan, or should I rather say Ejan F. Tan a clear reference to your real favourite skater Evan Frank "Tan" Lysacek.

You thought the j/v thing would confuse me, didn't you, vanetfan? :biggrin:

:laugh: :laugh:

But straight 9's across the board? :eek:

You should know 6.0's are my idea of perfection :yes:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
the only thing i learned is this--if the skater makes a mistake--
the skater pcs scores are supposed to go down a level--for example from a level 4 to a level 3, level 3 to a level 2.

guess what--they don't follow their own rules only for the skaters they don't want up there - skate america --rachel inshort still got full levels even with the fall,
zhang what hardly any levels.
yes-the judges, callers pick and choose who gets what level--not accordingto the rules or is it only in ice dance that they go down a level with mistakes.

Hmmm..... Rachel Flatt made a mistake with her spin at Skate America and as a result, it was disqualified, right? I'm not making that up. Pang and Tong, Dube and Davison also have had spins disqualifed because of mistakes. Generally, I think it matters where the mistake is.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Skating under CoP is soooo easy, crowning champions with only 3-4 clean triples in the LP! First it's too technically exacting and demanding on the underrotation calls, but now it's all the fault of the poor ladies who just aren't as good as the 6.0 era skaters. That 6.0 sure was magical at cultivating technical and artistic talent!

Absolutely. Because COP hasn't done in six years what 6.0 accomplished over a sixty year time span, and because we can name more programs in said time span that we love and love and love, COP is simply a flat out failure. Things that COP rewards (good technique on jumps, complex footwork and spins) pale in comparison to what 6.0 rewarded.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The Olys are in CANADA- I need not say more. :cool:

EDIT: Scroll down below for explanation- too many folks seem to be misconstruing this statement!

Last edited: