Christina Gao is the REAL deal! | Golden Skate

Christina Gao is the REAL deal!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
She reminded me a little of a junior Mao there. It will be interesting to see if she has any better luck handling the puberty monster than Mirari and Caroline. Right now everything looks great (juniorish, but strong fundamentals). Again, it will be interesting.

cornell08

Final Flight
I think her technique is far more solid than Caroline and Mirai's were even before their growth spurts. She has excellent jump technique and speed. Better technique/foundations than any of the current US ladies IMO. Another job well done-- or perhaps talent well spotted? by Brian Orser.

This is going to sound so cliche, but she reminds me of a JGP Yuna. The resemblance is spooky.

The coaches reactions are so funny/cute-- Brian was jumping up and cheering like he does when Yuna performs well :laugh:

What a huge improvement over not even one year!

Last edited:

LeCygne

Final Flight
Yes, Christina definitely is very much like a young Yu-Na. She jumps like her, spins like her, even her spiral sequence is exactly like Yu-Na's, and with the same degree of flexibility too. :biggrin: Just curious, I wonder how she got Brian Orser to take her.. Is he in the U.S. a lot or did she meet him at another competition or something?

Her jumps are probably her strongest point right now. Her consistency is great too. Including summer competitions, she's nailed at least 3 clean longs this year. Her spins need work though. While she can hit some lovely positions, she noticeably loses speed in other positions. I'm sure this is something Brian Orser will work with her on.

But anyway, it's clear that Christina has a lot of potential. I agree, she has improved so much within the last year. Watching her now, it's hard to believe she placed behind DeeDee Leng and Ellie Kawamura in a very weak junior field last Nationals... Should be interesting to see how she does in the senior competition this year. I hope USFSA sends actual juniors (well, juniors internationally) to Junior Worlds this year instead of sticking Caroline/Mirai there again..

mishieru07

On the Ice
You're all right; she's like a young Yu Na! (In fact, she lists Yu Na as her favourite skater as well)

She has great basics and jumping technique. Obviously, her spins and maturity aren't quite there yet but wow what potential! Definitely one to watch! (Hopefully, the puberty monster won't strike that hard).

Orser seems to have a good stable of skaters, all of whom are doing well. I think we're definitely going to see him around (and his reactions at the rinkside is lots of fun anyway :laugh:)

I hope USFSA stops sending Caroline, Ashley, Rachael or Mirai to JW (if getting slots for the 2011 JGP/JW is their concern, I don't see it as a problem if they send the JGP ladies). I'm rooting for Gao, Maxwell and Baga. :rock:

inside edge

On the Ice
You're all right; she's like a young Yu Na! (In fact, she lists Yu Na as her favourite skater as well)

She has great basics and jumping technique. Obviously, her spins and maturity aren't quite there yet but wow what potential! Definitely one to watch! (Hopefully, the puberty monster won't strike that hard).

totally agree.
WOW:yes:
Murakami reminded me a little Mao. lovely young ladies!:love:

Last edited:

just wondering

On the Ice
Until Gao moved to Orser earlier this year, she was coached by Stephanie Miller and Ted Masdea in Northern Kentucky. I don't know how she & Orser met, but it seems like a great match already. JW

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree Gao's physically a lot more like Kim than she is like Asada. She's a little gangly right now, but she's only 15 and will become more graceful as she adapts to her growth.

cornell08

Final Flight
I think she really needs to improve her basic skating. It seems weak.

:scratch: Compared to the other JGP ladies? Her basic skating is not weak at all-- she's got a better foundation than alot of the senior US ladies. If anything, perhaps her interpretation and transitional flow could use some improvement. All she needs is some more experience.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think she really needs to improve her basic skating. It seems weak.

Why such negativity? You never seem to have much good to say about any US skater.

It so happens that Gao had the HIGHEST TES in the FS, higher than Murakami and Shelepen. So much for "weak" basic skating.

prettykeys

Medalist
Physique-wise, yes, she's like a fledgling YuNa. Some of her movements, too (I guess that's the influence of Brian.) Technically, she's all right. ;)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It will be interesting to see if she has any better luck handling the puberty monster than Mirari and Caroline.

Considering she's built a lot like Yuna at that age, I wouldn't worry about it. Yuna went through puberty smoothly and developed into her grown up body without gaining a lot of weight or struggling with her jumps along the way.

As for Caroline, her technique is awful, so growing just exacerbated that fact. Gao has solid and normal technique :)

As for Mirai, she grew way more than most people her age do. Almost 10 inches in less than 3 years. She was 4'7" when she won junior national title at 13, the next year she was 4'11", last year she was 5'3", now she's 5'4.5". That's a LOT of inches. Christina is already 5'1" and most likely she will end up somewhere between 5'3" and 5'5" if you consider that Caroline, Mirai, Mao, Miki, Yuna, Akiko, are all between 5'3" and 5'5". 3 or 4 inches isn't a huge deal and with good technique she should be able to get through it alright.

prettykeys

Medalist
LOL I had the dumbest development ever. 5'2 at 11 years and remained 5'2 ever since. Freakish tall girl at an early age and shortie for the rest of her life. SIGH.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
^^ I was the opposite. 4'9" at 13, 5'1" at 15 and they told me I wasn't going to grow anymore. Now i'm 19 and 5'5" and the doctors have no idea how it happened

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Looks like we've got a lot of talent coming up just in time for Sochi (Gao, Zawadzki, Baga, and Gong). Hopefully a couple of our ladies now stick with skating till then so we can have ourselves an extremely competitive 2014 Nationals!

gkelly

Record Breaker
It so happens that Gao had the HIGHEST TES in the FS, higher than Murakami and Shelepen. So much for "weak" basic skating.

Actually, it's entirely possible to earn the highest TES at a competition while having weaker basic skating. All it takes is landing more difficult jumps. And maybe getting higher levels on the non-jump elements.

To argue for stronger basic skating based on the scores, look at the Skating Skills component, not the TES.