For MK Fans Only: What will be your feelings | Page 3 | Golden Skate

For MK Fans Only: What will be your feelings

For MK Fans Only: What will be your feelings when MK retires from eligible ranks?

• I will still be 100% figure skating fan

Votes: 80 70.2%
  • I will have about 85% interest in figure skating

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I will be a very casual fan of FS (less than 50%)

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • I will lose total interest in Figure Skating

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

brenlynn

On the Ice
Jimmy Hoffa said:
I'm sorry that as an MK fan we can't all be as disgustingly perfect and pious as those of you who don't like her, yet can't read well enough to STAY THE HELL OUT of a thread entitled "For MK Fans Only".

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised. Some of you are the same idiots who barge in on forums dedicated to Kwan and then are stupid enough to whine because the posters dare to think she is the best skater or don't care for your favorite skater.

i suppose this didn't really bother me other then the fact of calling me an "idiot". who says i am not a michelle fan? i am just not an over obsessed michelle fan. i respect her skating and everything she has done for the sport, and i give her a lot of credit for everything she has done. i'd appreciate it if you didn't call me, or any of the other people here "idiots" or tell us to "STAY THE HELL OUT" of any thread on this board because i have just as much of a right to post and read things here as you and the next person. i think you were totally out of line and disrespectful.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Jimmy, I felt offended too but I think now we need to just cool off and stop with the name calling, etc. When she said "knocks her off her throne" seemed a little far out but that's ok, just figured someone would find another place to spout off about it. I am a MK fan and proud of it and hope she wins gold in everything she enters. Of course, I am a fan of figure skating period.

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
brenlynn said:
who says i am not a michelle fan?
You do.

michelle kwan. all her programs look the same to me these days, she just changes the music and gets a new costume. i can't tell the difference anymore.
okay, i'm not a michelle fan
Any questions?

i respect her skating and everything she has done for the sport, and i give her a lot of credit for everything she has done.
Sure you do. That's why you "cannot wait until she retires or someone just knocks her right off her throne" and "much rather see someone knock her right off her throne for satisfactions sake", because you're a fan. With fans like you, who needs enemies?
i'd appreciate it if you didn't call me, or any of the other people here "idiots"
I'd appreciate it if you didn't act like one.
i have just as much of a right to post and read things here as you and the next person.
And I have as much right to respond when you say something nasty.
i think you were totally out of line and disrespectful.
I save my respect for those who earn it. I gave you the response you deserve.

I like you, I really do. I think you're great. See how insulted you feel because you know that's a lie?

Don't bother responding to me. I'm putting you on ignore. Have a nice day.

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. Be cool, OK? Nobody's an idiot for having an opinion.

Now, about knocking Michelle off her throne, all I can say is, talk's cheap. Wishing and posting on the Internet is not going to do it. Somebody has to outskate her.

Mathman

brenlynn

On the Ice
am i only one who has a love/hate relationship with a skater? somedays i am for michelle, somedays i am not, depends on which day you catch me on. there are several other skaters i feel that way about. and about saying i wish someone would knock her off her throne, i think it would be great to see someone outskate michelle even when she is at her best, it's what keeps the sport fresh and makes new heros.

that is all i have to say. sorry if any of you took offense, but i didn't think i'd get called an idiot for having my own opinion.

Jimmuy - Cool it. It's not worth it. If you read as many posts as I do, you know those fans who love Kwan and those who hate her. BtW, there are very few, at least from my readings, who actually like her regardless of what they may say. So if you are familiar with the poster you know what to expect in their responses. No big deal.

brenlyn - You are quite proper in disliking any skater's performance you wish, however, when you intimate that the difference between a skating fan and a michelle fan without clarifying that it is your opinion only, then you are saying that ALL Michelle fans are different from skating fans. That is indeed eyebrow raising to ALL MK fans and can cause adverse responses toward the writer. I don't believe you actually contacted ALL MK fans especially those who also like Sasha Cohen, for example I do understand what you are saying, but others may not.

So by all means, find fault with MK, but do not bash her fans or the fans of any other skater. That's not permissable in Golden Skate - a non fan based forum.

Cheers - Joe

I don't see what all the fuss is about on this thread. This is what BrenLynn said:
"i think some people just tend to focus on one skater, in this case, michelle and shut the rest of the skating world out, because to many of them michelle is skating and the rest is just minor details."
Well, some people do think that. That's OK. (Although the majority of this poll of Michelle kwan fans say that they will be "100% a figure skating fan" even after Michelle retires.)

Some others are enthusiastic fans of Sasha Cohen, Alexei Yagudin, or whoever. OK.

It is not an insult to me when someone says, oh you just want Michelle to win and you don't care about anything else. OK.

At the other extreme are the fans who love figure skating for the sheer beauty of it and who just want to see good performances, they don't care by whom. OK.

To me, its like a football game. I do not turn on the TV if I don't care who is playing and if I don't have a favorite to win. I do not watch football to enjoy the beauty of an x-24 curl-in slant route by a premier wide receiver. I just want my guy to catch the ball and run for a touchdown and whup up on the other guys. Just like Michelle.

But others have different views. OK.

Mathman

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
For the record, I never said that anyone who doesn't like Michelle Kwan is an idiot. What I said was that anyone who barged into a pro-Kwan thread or pro-Kwan forum when they don't like her and then have the nerve to be shocked and upset at what they see there was an idiot.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I voted on this thread so long ago that I can't remember what I put! I am proud to say that I am a Michelle fan, have been ever since I first saw her skate at the age of 13, but I will be a 100 percent skating fan when she retires........I love figure skating and its participants, but there have been only two others who I have followed with anticipation besides Michelle, those being Janet Lynn and Paul Wylie.........they are the cherries on top of that delicious scoop of ice cream we call figure skating.......42

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Re: Thanks for the correction Realtor

Bijoux said:
OF course I meant Denise! These memory lapses are getting bad. I needn't worry with you around, RG.

:D Thanks, or should I just say, "Mooo!"? :rolleye: Did you once have a cow for a pic? (I lurked a long time). Or do I have you confused with another? I hope that isn't your dog! He looks rather mean and ferocious. Please feel free to correct my spelling and grammar as well, OK?

No, I don't correct spelling and grammar. Too many non-native English speakers on the board doing the very best they can to converse in English! Mighty impressive, I must say!

BTW, why yes! That IS my sweet Madelyn. But don't worry--she only bites the obnoxious posters!
:D :laugh: :D :laugh:

Lotta

On the Ice
SO ANYWAY........

I would stay 100% to the sport. I LOOOVVEEEE Michelle Kwan. LOVE HER LOVE HER LOVE HER LOVE HER LOVE HER. but there are others that I like also. Angela and Amber. OH YEAH!!! They're wonderful skaters with fantabulous artistry. Sasha Cohen is cool also, Fumie, Shizza, Shen and Zhao, BABOO.... I would certainly miss Michelle but she will always remain at the top of my favorite skaters list FOREVER.

Jimmy: It was irreverent for you to tell "non MK fans" to stay the hell out. I think the non MK fans got that clear. However, I never saw in BrenLynn's *first* post that she "hates" Michelle. Just the saying that she wants Michelle to be overtaken by an underdog like Evgeny is now. And also the words "lots of respect for the lady". So, yeah, made my point. I'm gonna shut up now.

floskate

On the Ice
I've enjoyed reading this thread - it is amazing how we all react to our own personal favourites. I'm a skating fan first and foremost who just luuurrrves MK, but I'll be a skating fan long after she's no longer eligible. But I won't be heart broken like I was when Midori went. I was only a kid, but the tears I shed watching her skate in Albertville taught me a valuable lesson. It's the skating that matters most, and the survival of this sport.

We have been so blessed to see her golden era and God knows we'll be posting about her in 20 years time too! But it's figure skating I fell in love with and continue to be in love with 20 odd years later.:)

As to the future? Miki and Mao - I've always been a sucker for asian ladies skating, they just have a quality others don't and I look forward to the new generation!

Besides, I'll always have my compilation tapes to look back on fondly!!!;)

ouridol

On the Ice
I voted 100%, but it WILL go down a LITTLE bit..maybe like 90%...I will still follow it the same amount, but it'll take some time getting adjusted to and I wont have this skater that I can really look forward to seeing at big competitions....and hope for performances of a lifetime! :p