After Michelle retires... | Golden Skate

After Michelle retires...

J

Jules Asner

After Michelle retires...

who will be your favorite American eligible skater?

E

eltamina

Re: After Michelle retires...

I am already a Sarah fan, even if Michelle does not retire. I hope they will compete for a few more seasons.

S

sk8ing lady2001

I like Sasha also. But Michelle will be my favorite, always!

R

Raelynne

Sarah is my second favorite.

K

Kremxx

Naomi Nari Nam or Ann Patrice Mcdonough

R

RealtorGal

I have always liked the evolution and watching new folks take over the top spots. It's nice to see the newcomers come out from behind the shadows of the previous winners and legends. This is how they grow.

J

Joesitz

In genral, I am not a fan kind of guy. If someone catches my eye in any sport who in my opinion is special that someone could be considered as my fan.

In Baseball, Pee Wee Reese, Jackie Robinson, Ted Williams

In Track, Roger Bannister

In Golf, Niklaus (and now Woods)

In tennis: Laver, McEnroe, Navratilova

In figure skating: Button, Flemming, Browning, Kwan

Once they no longer compete I check out the field. As of now, no one can yet be considered as my fan (but that can change).

Joe

M

mathman444

Joe, here are some of mine:

Baseball: the 1954 Brooklyn Dodgers (death of baseball: Dodgers move to L.A.,195:cool:

Basketball: the 1956 Boston Celtics.

Football: the 1966 Green Bay Packers.

Boxing: Muhammed Ali.

Track and Field: Edwin Moses

Tennis: Martina Navratalova.

Golf: Tiger Woods

Skating: Kristi Yamaguchi (first love), then Michelle.

Mathman

J

Joesitz

Mathman - Did you like the Dodgers? I was broken up when they left Brooklyn.

I think what we are saying is that one can only be a fan of another if the other is SPECIAL to that individual. One can not rush in and replace someone SPECIAL for the sake of becoming a fan of another.

One can, however, see talent in others, and there is a lot in figure skating. Hopefully the judges will select on talent.

Joe

M

mathman444

Joe, I loved the Dodgers of the 50's. Even though I lived out West and I never saw them in person, this is the only team that I can still name: Campanella, Hodges, Robinson, Reece (my favorite as a boy, along with Willie Mays), Hoak, Furillo, Snyder and Amoros. (OK, for baseball purists out there, by 1954 Junior Gilliam had taken over regular duties at second, as Jackie Robinson was nearing the end of his career.)

Good point about an athlete meaning something special to their fans, quite apart from having exceptional skills. Michelle Kwan just knocks my emotional socks off. I don't expect that any of the next generation will mean as much to me, be they ever so talented and full of grace.

Mathman

S

Show 42

....Oh come on guys, you gotta love the Dodgers of the 60's...Maury Wills, Sandy Koufax, Big D Don Drysdale, Willie Davis, golden glover Wes Parker and my man, Johnny Roseboro.........just the best.....42

B

BronzeisGolden02

Angela

Michelle will always be a legend to me, my favorite of all the female skaters. And, looking on to after she retires, I'd have to give my vote as favorite U.S. amateur to Nikidinov. She has many of the same elements that made Michelle such a wonderful champion. They share alike a strong jump technique, smooth skating and edges, and wonderful presentation. Also, personality wise, Angela seems very down-to-earth and respectful, even in defeat. I also like Sarah for the same reasons, but Angela has the ability to move me more so than Sarah when performances are compared. Sasha is great and I'm excited to see her progress, but she isn't a personal favorite. This may change, though, when I see her put a program together and it seems effortless to me, as if all the movements were instinctive. And for the new up-and-comers, well, I just love Anne-Patrice. Her skill and ability is obvious and I think we'll see more and more of her personality as she climbs higher and higher on the U.S. and World podiums. LOL, anyway, Angela Nikidinov is my fav, until she retires!

L

LADSKATER

I vote for Sarah. She is already my favorite American lady with Michelle still in the ranks. I like her personality. She is a very nice young lady. I like Sasha's skating as well, but of the two, I prefer Sarah.

Ladskater