MK's Tosca = Yagudin's? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

MK's Tosca = Yagudin's?

Dee,
I agree that Alexei didn't own "Tosca." After all, he'd only had a month for Tarasova to choreograph it, for him to learn it, and to perfect it. But at least at Worlds (and that's the only performance to which I was referring; I should have made that clear), IMO it was a poor performance for Alexei and it was more than lack of passion. He missed or barely landed jumps, many of the transitions were awkward, and generally it had a lot of problems. In the K&C, Yags looked very dejected, I think because he knew he had skated poorly and assumed Plush would win Worlds. Of course Plush skated even worse than Yagudin and Alexei won. BTW, I'm talking poor performance relative to Alexei's level, not poor performance relative to anybody. I didn't see Miko Masters, so I never saw Yags do a clean "Tosca."

I know you love Alexei and I do too. As I said on another thread, IMO he's one of the greatest technicians and artists ever to grace the sport. But I've seen Alexei give a couple of poor performances and while they are definitely the exception, "Tosca" at Worlds '00 was one of them. But look at it this way: Even a poor performance by Yagudin was good enough to win Worlds:) Anyway, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree
Rgirl

windspirit said:
Btw, I love BA (I didn't like it at the beginning, though), like Tosca, but I've never cared much for Lawrence of Arabia. I think I'd take his imperfect performance of Tosca at 2000 Worlds over any perfectly skated LoA anytime.
Windspirit,
I'm curious as to why you don't like "Lawrence of Arabia." It was one of my favorite Yags programs. I was really looking forward to seeing him skate it live with COI, but it was right before they let him go mid-tour and it was one of those "barely there" performances--doubled almost all the jumps, no intensity. (BTW, I think he learned his lesson and never gave a subpar performance after that incident with COI.) But when he performed LOA at peak levels, I thought it was great. Just curious what it is you don't like about it.
Rgirl