Kim Yu-na Asking Her Fans to Tone It Down | Golden Skate

Kim Yu-na Asking Her Fans to Tone It Down

Nadia01

Final Flight
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2009/12/136_56828.html

I love how articulate and bold she is. She might not be being diplomatic, but things must have been bad enough to make this sort of statement. You've got to wonder if some fans are rooting for her for national pride or her actual performances? Hopefully a bit of the former but mainly for the latter.

Her actual interview in Korean is very gentle and sweet in tone. It was more like a kind reminder & request rather than a ***** slap.

I think the reporter / translator did a very poor job, since the translation changed the meaning / tone of her original statements in Korean.

P.S. I'm multilingual in case you're wondering if I'm just repeating what some other poster elsewhere said. :)

Bennett

Record Breaker
With all respect to Korean fans, the last GPF had an unusual atmosphere. All the yellow/black banners that dominated the arena and only a little cheering and applaude for her rivals.

schiele

Final Flight
I agree with her 100%, and thank goodness the Olympics are not in Seoul!

Funny thing is when I was in TEB seeing her live, I was surrounded by Korean fans. To me they seemed polite to other skaters, did not leave immediately after she skated and were in the arena the first thing. They supported other skaters as well and joined in the standing ovations. Yes, they were much eager than everyone else and made a lot of cheering noise but I haven't found them as bad as everyone makes them out to be.. So I guess they are not all bad or ignorant of the sport and its other stars. In fact, when skaters like Preaubert went to the seating area just behind me to watch the rest of the event, Korean fans werre the first ones to recognize them and run to get autographs, which I found rather nice.
I think the disturbance reaches unbearable heights when the event is in Korea or anywhere close where a very large group of Korean fans can easily travel to.. Despite all I think it's nice that she speaks out about smth that disturbs her.. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
i would add to my previous post that 4CC at Korea had a very good reputation in that they were very passionate and supportive of everyone and was indeed described as the best audience. The last GPF ladies was the only one where I felt that unusual atmosphere. The uniformity in banners was impressive. Were they from the same fan club?

i love to skate

Medalist
Would she really have withdrawn because of the noise? Just curious, can you even withdraw for that reason?

Thanks for the article!

Bennett

Record Breaker
Would she really have withdrawn because of the noise? Just curious, can you even withdraw for that reason?

Thanks for the article!

Isn't it more like wanting to run away due to too much pressures and being treated like the Princess Diana with no privacy?

i love to skate

Medalist
Isn't it more like wanting to run away due to too much pressures and being treated like the Princess Diana with no privacy?

Oh I know the pressure would be unimaginable. I am just wondering if you would be able to withdraw for this reason (it's too noisy) or would you have to give an "alternate" explanation? Really, I'm just curious. I'm not trying to start a fight :)

Bennett

Record Breaker
Oh I know the pressure would be unimaginable. I am just wondering if you would be able to withdraw for this reason (it's too noisy) or would you have to give an "alternate" explanation? Really, I'm just curious. I'm not trying to start a fight :)

Oh, I didn't think that you wanted to start a fight or anything.

Perhaps she could have never said it was too noisy or wanted to run away. How would it have appeared to the public? Just terrible and she would have lost her face forever.

Perhaps she could have said she had heavy headache, a stomach ache, or something psychosomatic. But because the media would detail everything about her, such "excuses" would have been analyzed to death.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well...glad to see her standing up and separating herself from these loons.

Nadia01

Final Flight

Thanks for the article!

Not just the noise.

Flash photography, excessive shouting & inappropriate clapping, something like 2,000 stuffed animals thrown at her after her performance....I also think that she can feel the crushing vibes from the audience. We've seen how some skaters bomb after their previous competitors did awesome, and how it's just so hard to skate in that kind of atmosphere.

I'm sure that excessive media attention didn't help. IIRC I read somewhere that reporters wrote articles on what she ate for breakfast, lunch, etc. Just crazy.

I'm sure if she wanted to, she could've said she felt sick and withdrawn from the competition.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Actually, I'm going to have to agree with Bennett. When Mao took the ice for her LP and landed BOTH 3A's, the audience didn't really have much reaction to it. I also recall some one screaming "BRAVO" right when Mao fell on her 3F.

Last edited by a moderator:

coconutpunch

Rinkside
Bennett's spot-on though. The audience at 4CC 08 were so supportive and friendly that the barely-there enthusiasm from the GPF 08 crowd towards the rest of the senior ladies felt...bizarre, even (especially since they remained alert and cheered passionately for the other disciplines).

Kudos to Yu-Na for speaking out. :clap: I certainly hope she doesn't get crucified for this; she's under enough scrutiny as is from the local media.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
I agree with her 100%, and thank goodness the Olympics are not in Seoul!

Yes, especially since PyeongChang looked very close to be winning in the final round of the 2010 Olympic bid.

I'm glad Yu-Na spoke up, though--it must not only be distracting for her, but also all the other skaters competing with her.