Bad weather here | Golden Skate

Bad weather here

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
After our strange summer we now have icy roads. Hoping it will get good enough to go vote against our school bond.
Did I ever tell you why Kansas is the best place for me?
It's far enough south that it isn't so cold. (Mostly LOL)
It's far enough north that it isn't so hot.
It's far enough west, it's not as humid.
It's far enoug east, it's not so dry.
Just as well you think that way than be disappointed about where you are.
What do you like, dislike about where you are?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hi GrGranny.........Weather sure has been fluctuating the last few years. I live in the San Joaquin (pronounced "Wahkeen") Valley right in the middle of California. It's about 6 hours south to Mexico and 6 hours north to Oregon.
Summers.........Very hot and dry, little humidity, temp ranging from 90 degress to 115 degrees at its worst. We're a huge agricultural area, so the hotter the better.
Fall....................Warm...........75 degrees to mid 90s.
Winter...............Usually mild, low about 35 degrees to highs in the low 60's. Almost never snows on the valley floor. We're an irrigated desert basically.
Spring...............Warm to cool..........mid 70s but can get into the 80s.........

Right now we're having a very cold snap. Our low this morning was 27 degrees............freezing for us.........42

Blue Bead

Medalist
I can certainly relate to icy roads tonight, GrGranny, lol. I'm located in the central part of Ohio and the prediction for tonight and tomorrow looks pretty grim, at the moment. The forcast is for sleet and freezing rain tonight with very windy conditions. Tomorrow while the temperatures will be rising to the mid-40's with rain. Also, we're under high wind warning, roughly beginning around 6 to 7 a.m. Winds are expected to be around 40 to 50 miles per hour, and we can expect gusts to, at least, 60 m.p.h. Then the temperatures are supposed to plummet on Thursday and Friday; low twenties during the day with wind chill factors around zero degrees. Friday night is predicted to be in the low teens. :frown: Oh, joy.

The last time we had a wind warning like this my power was out for three and a half days, and I had damage to the shingles on my roof. It took 6 months to get the shingles repaired because the wind damages were so wide spread throughout the area that he roofing companies were completely swamped.

My biggest concern is the extreme cold which will follow this storm and the power outage. I do have a wood buring stove which will heat about half of my house but in other sections, it won't. I have several elder cats, as well as cats with health conditions that would be severly impacted by no heat. If this were warm weather I would have no problems. Unfortunately, this is December. :scowl:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Well, normally I love Boston:
It's warm enough to go to the beach in the summer.
It's cold enough for skiing in the winter.
We get the most beautiful Indian Summer in the world (this has been confirmed by seasoned world travelers), and a fairly striking spring as well.

What I don't enjoy this season - cold & flu (I understand it's not quite as bad in the warmer climates). It's really bad. Having to kids makes it really hit home :(

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
We got to vote. Roads were ok. Just heard the results. My vote won.

Buzzz

Final Flight
We just had a snow storm here in Toronto. I do not mind much because was not until the past week we got our first snow fall of the season. To besides I might get a white christmas this year. LOL

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
So much for earth warming (which I don't believe). We've been having cooler summers and cooler winters lately.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
After our strange summer we now have icy roads. Hoping it will get good enough to go vote against our school bond.
Did I ever tell you why Kansas is the best place for me?
It's far enough south that it isn't so cold. (Mostly LOL)
It's far enough north that it isn't so hot.
It's far enough west, it's not as humid.
It's far enoug east, it's not so dry.
Just as well you think that way than be disappointed about where you are.
What do you like, dislike about where you are?

We had our first snowfall this week, but thank goodness unlike last winter, our typical west coast weather returned and the snow has all but melted away. We had an unusual winter last year. This is more like it - just rain, rain and more rain.

I always get reminded when it does snow as to why I live here on the coast. I have lived in other parts of Canada where it really snows and the temperature dips to 40 below. I love snow, but hate driving in it. There are too many crazy drivers here as it is.

Although it rains here more than I can stand, there are too many other reasons why I live here. We usually have the best winters compared to other parts of Canada. Our summers are lovely and our falls are spectacular.

So all in all it is not a bad place to be....

Wicked

Final Flight
DC is expecting snow this weekend, so everyone is going crazy. DC becomes paralyzed by 1 inch. Obama laughed last year when his daughters' school was closed by a relatively small storm. No one knows how to drive in snow here- too many transplants.

Are you getting snow, Grgranny?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A week ago, Nebraska got hit with 9 inches of snow and now tomorrow we are supposed to get 3 more inches, ick!!!

Wicked

Final Flight
The weather folks are now talking about a big storm (6"-12") for DC. People are starting to lose their minds. It is kind of funny to watch.