Wisdom teeth are coming out on Friday | Golden Skate

Wisdom teeth are coming out on Friday

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
went to teh dentist today for a filling and he was all "btw, we scheduled you for a friday appointment with the oral surgeon" :eek: and I wasn't told sooner, why?

because the oral surgeon had an opening, and because I can't take time off in Jan, so they jumped at it hoping I'd go along with it.

I did....

SO not looking forward to it as I've heard nothing but horror stories...

4 wisdom teeth PLUS the tooth my former dentist (*grumble*) broke and never referred me to get fixed...

December is NOT looking like a good month.

Blue Bead

Medalist
Gee, Toni, isn't about time you got a break from all this life drama? :laugh: First, it was your grandma and now wisdom teeth. Yikes! You're due for a respite.

I really feel for you, having to go through with widom tooth extractions. It's probably wise to get them all done at once, though. There's no sense in going through it all multiple times. Mine all came out when I was a teenager, back in the early 1960's, and they came out two at a time, both lowers and then the uppers. That was before anesthesia for major extractions was common place. I don't recall that I had major problems or much in the way of pain after the first two or three days. I do recall that I looked like a chipmunk with nuts stuffed in my cheeks when I glanced in the mirror, LOL.

I wish you the best of luck with it and little or no pain.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks... I'm really worried about the whole procedure...

and yeah just when life couldn't get any more difficult, here comes another big thing...

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
thanks... I'm really worried about the whole procedure...

and yeah just when life couldn't get any more difficult, here comes another big thing...
I had all four of mine pulled out early this year. Just make sure you get lots of rest and don't eat anything that you think will irritate the area (stick to yogurt, that's what I did for the most part). I went out with my friends the night after my surgery so I think you'll be fine :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
My experience is that upper wisdom teeth extractions are much less painful than the lower ones. I lost count of how many shots of anesthesia I got for the latter, and it still hurt! The upper one was nothing, it took maybe 10 seconds and the pain after was easily manageable. I hope your experience will be like that. :)

Anyway, I didn't think either time was that awful, and unlike most dental work, at least it's relatively quick, and without any drilling noises. I was back at work the next day in both cases, and even my dad, who is afraid of anything involving dental care, says it's not too bad. The one difference is that I had them out one at a time - only two so far, as my dentist says there's no need to deal with the others yet.

My advice: don't worry about it too much; follow the oral surgeon's instructions re what to do after the procedure; don't wait for it to get painful afterward before taking something for the pain; and eat lots of ice cream - finally, a good excuse ;). Nicely buttered mashed potatoes also work, so long as you let them cool a bit first.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
lol Buttercup's story is so cute. Although, I wonder why your dentist and/or oral surgeon scheduled them at separate times; it's more costly and you have to go through the inconvenience on multiple occasions...!

The experience I've heard of it are quite diverse. When I got mine taken out (all 3...for some reason I only had 3 grow :laugh:) I actually wanted to stay awake during the procedure and tried really hard to, but I got knocked out pretty fast. (I am not sure they meant to do that; the anaesthesiologist told me she'd keep me awake since it'd be "better" to do so. :cool:) Anyway, I woke up a little groggy, nothing hurt, I had little bloody pits at the backs of my mouth with cotton balls tucked around them; and a water syringe to clean them out if anything got stuck later on.

I ate soups, "meal shakes" (like the Slimfast stuff, my cousin got me those), yogurt and ice cream like the others. Mashed potatoes would have been nice, but I never got that. :p A few days later I also ate rice porridge (NOT recommended, those little grains of rice actually did get into my gummy pockets so I definitely had to use that water syringe to squirt them out LOL and it did sting a little when I forced the water to shoot at them a little too strongly).

Oh, the drugs they also recommended were ibuprofen, and they gave me prescriptions for antibiotic capsules as well as Tylenol #3's (the latter of which I got but didn't use. What a waste, bahhh.) However, my oral surgeon recommended that I take the ibuprofen quite regularly (according to the directions on the package and obeying the maximum) whether I was hurting or not, because either way it would decrease the inflammation. I did that, and maybe that is why I didn't hurt at all. And of course I took the antibiotics full course. ;) My friends said they weren't given those instructions about ibuprofen, but no one gave me horror stories.

So yes, the experience wasn't bad at all. It healed up nicely and fairly quickly; the only downside was that I wanted to (and I did) eat rice. :laugh:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my wisdom teeth are impacted. so they have to cut them out... no basic extraction for me... I've dealt with extractions before, and I can handle that :no:

i love to skate

Medalist
my wisdom teeth are impacted. so they have to cut them out... no basic extraction for me... I've dealt with extractions before, and I can handle that :no:

All four of mine were impacted as well and I was put out for the surgery. I'm not going to lie I was in a lot of pain afterwards and I also had a bad reaction to the anesthesia so that didn't help. I had the antibiotics as well and T3s - I only took a few of these because they made me feel sick so I stuck to Advil.

The thing that was most annoying was the stitches - oh they hurt! I had a bunch in my mouth and the one's on my cheek rubbed my mouth raw - I also had the lovely chipmunk cheeks! :laugh: I didn't really eat much for a week - milkshakes and a couple scrambled eggs was about it. I agree with Buttercup, the top one's didn't bother me too much but it was the lower ones that were awful.

They were causing me a lot of pain before they were pulled so I was relieved to get them out! It's not pleasant but you will feel better after a couple weeks. Good luck! :yes:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Toni, I had an impacted wisdom tooth removed years ago & my dentist advised me to take an aspirin (or2, whatever is your norm) 1/2 hour before my appointment. You are more relaxed & have much less pain to deal with later. Phone your dentist & ask him? Good luck & remember, once they are out you never have to deal with their removal again!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Of the two I've had removed, I'm pretty sure the top one was impacted, and the bottom one was not - so I got the top one removed by an oral surgeon, who was wonderful, and the bottom one by a dentist, who was not. I agree with K that the amount of pain you'll have during and after the extraction will likely depend on how the teeth are situated, the angle and all that.

Just from people's experiences here, I would really advise you to talk to the surgeon about maybe not getting them all removed at once. It seems like those who did that only had to go through the process once, but it was much worse. I mean, I just realized I was not back at work the next day when the upper one was extracted, because it was a day off and I went shopping :). So that gives you an idea of how non-traumatic the whole thing was.

Hope all goes well!

Last edited:

HCOSurfer

Final Flight

Mine were too. Make sure you get lots of rest, you'll be better in no time.

Wicked

Final Flight
I had all four of mine out years ago. I have a very small jaw and the dentist told me that my wisdom teeth were the 2nd biggest he'd ever seen. All were horribly impacted and were actually pushing against my other teeth and causing pain in my jaw. I had no trouble with getting them out at all. I was knocked out for it but didn't have any major pain afterwards. The experience totally failed to live up to the horror stories. Hopefully yours will be the same.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I had my lower ones taken away at the same time while being awake. Don't remember much pain, just a lot of bending and scratching felt in my head leaving two holes that grew over time.

Good luck, Tonichelle! Just be sure your surgeon removes your teeth and leaves your wisdom :yes:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Had no problem when they took out my impacted ones when I was pregnant.
Didn't feel so hot for a while but nothing great.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
((((((Toni))))))

I had 3 removed at the same time, no problems but everyone is different. If you need more hugs .... I'll send some more. :agree: :agree:

seniorita

Record Breaker
But you know the story?:):yes: Legend says that you become double wiser after you take them off, so go for it, dont worry!!!;)
And leave the dentist with a smile 735566810adbc335aab7c2d5d891ac5d.gif

Wicked

Final Flight
But you know the story?:):yes: Legend says that you become double wiser after you take them off, so go for it, dont worry!!!;)
And leave the dentist with a smile 735566810adbc335aab7c2d5d891ac5d.gif

How come that didn't happen for me? Thinking of you, Tonichelle!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
five teeth (three wisdom, I apparently only had three lol, and two bad teeth (one was due to a bad dentist, the other for the fact I didn't get teh broken tooth taken care of so it decayed teh one above it) three pulled on the bottom hurt so much more than the top ones do...

I'm starving, too, since I couldn't eat or drink for six hours before teh surgery, and now I have to wait for the bleeding to stop...... so I am grumpy

ETA - oh, yeah, and I woke up before they were finished pulling out the last wisdom tooth. I was very numb, but holy cow did NOT like the waking up going "What the heck??? He said I wouldn't wake up until AFTER I was HOME!"

but my brain fought the whole sedation process... I am wide awake... it's weird..

Last edited:

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
That does not sound like a good experience, I hope you get well soon. Rest up, you'll be better in no time!