Does the fact that Michelle is without an OGM ruin her image/legacy? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Does the fact that Michelle is without an OGM ruin her image/legacy?

janetfan

Match Penalty
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I want one too then!:biggrin:
why we dont give eachother here Olympic Gold Medals for Christmas gifts?:party2:
I give each one of you one OGM. Voila.

Thankyou seniorita. Maybe you could design medals for skating fans so that we may lead more fullfilling and contented lives.

But please make my medal out of chocolate:yes: :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Wow! All my problems are immediately solved.

Think of the possibilities. Imagine showing up at the most popular restaurant on a Saturday night without reservations.....

Just be sure to wear your OGM around your neck and "voila" the best table would be yours along with a round of drinks on the house! :yes:

Once I have my own OGM I can't imagine ever being asked to take out the trash again ;)

Although I would still take my dog out for nice long walks. Is it possible to get an OGM for my dog too? I don't think I would need to bother cleaning any doggie messes anymore which would make this activity feel much more dignified! :laugh:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
hmmmmmmm KW is eerily quiet... could my post have killed her from the shock that I actually said something remotely positive/praising of Michelle? ;) :laugh:

LOL!!!:laugh::laugh: Just saw it... and you know what? There will always be those who say Michelle's legacy isn't complete without the OGM. There will always be the naysayers who accuse her of choking. There will be those who don't mind she won, but wonder about how she feels about not winning. And there will be those super fans who are secretly glad she didn't win, espcially in 2002, because we know she would've retired.

Like everyone else, I have an opinion on this...

1. The fact that we even have this thread is proof that for skating fans it doesn't matter and we love both her and the tremendous impact & contribution she's had on the sport of figure skating. She's simply a remarkable young woman who accomplished more and moved more people (both fans and nonfans alike...) than anyone else in the modern age of this sport.

2. In 15 years, Michelle Kwan will be thought of based on her present day accomplishments in the world of politics with news articles ending with the words: "In her youth, Kwan first gained public attention as the most decorated US skater of her era." She's simply one of those people and its been a pleasure and joy watching her compete over the years and represent this country. I cannot wait to see what she does next. :bow::bow:

nubka

Final Flight
so life exists only to win olympic gold

wow... no wonder the rest of us lead such horrible, undeserving, miserable, pitiful lives...

Common sense, please. Since of most of us aren't figure skaters, our lives wouldn't revolve around winning an OGM... :p

katha

On the Ice
Of course it doesn't ruin her legacy, what a silly question. :laugh: Kwan is hugely popular and beloved in her country and IMO that has also a lot to do with the way she conducted her career, how long and hard she fought for it. The way she persisted in her quest for an Olympic gold until her body couldn't bear it anymore was heartbreaking, sure. But the graceful and dignified way in which she dealt with that disappointment was commendable.

This is why she's held up as such a role model, and rightly IMO. As far as I'm concerned it is not only her numerous spectacular performances and big titles that make her an alltime great, but also the way she dealt with losing to others, injury setbacks etc. :)

prettykeys

Medalist
As it is, she's a retired athlete that fans may revere, but still feel a little bad for, 'cause they know how much she wanted that gold medal and how close she came to it. She's like a war hero... from one of the wars we didn't win.
For what it's worth, DesertRoad, I agree with you.

I am not saying this out of any smugness. I hope my lady of this era wins that Gold, and if she doesn't, I would feel a little regret for her, too.

Well, here is how I see it.

The Olympic Games had two chances to give Michelle a gold medal and they blew both of them. So phooey on them and I am not going to watch the Vancouver Olympics, except curling.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
*facepalm* you are such a dork, MM ;) and I say that with all the love in my heart.

Hee, hee, Mathman!

But they don't play music during the curling. So I have to stick with skating, even if they persist in giving medals to the wrong people.

I suppose It would be nice to know that my favorite skaters (Kwan and Browning) had perfect records, but I actually like things the way they are. It's a bit too obvious and predictable to have history's most decorated skaters as one's favorites. This way, we love two underdogs! (Who happen to be two of the best skaters in history--and they have plenty of medals in any case.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
golf is a summer olympic sport hopeful...

though snow golf is a lot of fun!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oups sorry:eek:I dont like it much, I dont even know what their goal is, actually when I was younger I thought they were just sweeping the ice with brooms..I maybe still do:rolleye:

with some of our Olympic hopefuls pictured on the right. :yes:
:laugh:
:p I ll root for them then!;)

how the snow golf works??!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you golf in teh snow, after that I don't really know as I don't golf for real... lol

but they do play it pretty competitively here in alaska...