Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The front runners for Euros

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemom1122 View Post
    Kostner, if she were to skate halfway decently.
    Marchei, who showed impressive scores at Italian Nationals.
    Lepisto.
    Korpi, again if she can hang in there with the jumps.
    Leonova (favorite at this point).
    Gedevanishvili, extremely inconsistent but can be spectacular when on.
    Meier, good when on, injury might affect her.
    Sebestyen, has shined this year in SP; struggles in FS. If she can skate 2 decent programs she may have a shot at a medal.

This is why it's so hard to predict, pretty much ALL the European ladies are inconsistent. Alena and Laura are probably the most consistent, but Laura consistently lands only 3 or 4 triples in the long so that doesn't tell us much.

I really like Gedevanishvilli, her jumps are huge, I don't know why she doubles a lot of them, it always looks like she has plenty of height to rotate her triples and the ones she does land are nice. Plus she's flexible and fun to watch.

I like Alena too, she also has great energy and big jumps, I think it's unlikely she won't medal, it's just hard to tell what color medal she will get.

I don't really get much from Lepisto's skating. I know the judges like it but to me she doesn't seem very artistic. Her jumps are kind of small and though her spins are fast the positions aren't great. She has good stroking skills and speed though.

Korpi. Yeah, she won a medal this GP season but she didn't really deserve it in my opinion. I think a lot of her success has to do with how pretty she is. She also has good stroking like Lepisto though.

Polykio has had a very bad season with her injury, I don't think she'll medal. At SA she really was skating pretty poorly and looked to be in a lot of pain.

Meier is in the same situation as Poykio, injured, and seems to be suffering from it. Maybe she'll bounce back in time.

Carolina is one of the favorites, and because it's Euros she can still medal/win without being spectacular. She needs to keep it decently clean though, which shouldn't be a problem in the short but will be tougher in the long. Her programs are really nice this year though.

I was thinking maybe Elena Glebova could be a spoiler? She has that nice triple-triple combo and looked pretty good at SA

End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I was thinking maybe Elena Glebova could be a spoiler? She has that nice triple-triple combo and looked pretty good at SA
    I have a feeling the spoiler could be Marchei.. With the boost she got from the nats, she might actually remain consistent thruout the competition. That would be nice to see.

Makarova skated very well at Russian Nats, she could very well be a spoiler.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemom1122 View Post
    Makarova skated very well at Russian Nats, she could very well be a spoiler.
    I'll be shocked if she's not top 5, with the way she is skating at the moment, and the way other ladies like Lepisto are. Her 3T+3T seems very reliable.

Custom Title
    I think that an Italian lady on the top of the podium is possible (whoever skates cleaner), and then Leonova and Lepisto will be there...
    I'm rooting also for Meier, always loved her style, and Makarova, Korpi, Sebestyen will be spoilers.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_4Ever View Post
    I think that an Italian lady on the top of the podium is possible (whoever skates cleaner), and then Leonova and Lepisto will be there...
    I'm rooting also for Meier, always loved her style, and Makarova, Korpi, Sebestyen will be spoilers.
    Why does everyone think Lepisto will definitely medal? I know she's reigning champ but she's been doubling most of her jumps this season, usually landing only 3 clean triples in the long program. Sometimes she will land 4 triples but is that really worthy of a medal?

Makarova is only a spoiler because she's new to the senior scene, she is a very polished skater with good technical difficulties and smooth landings. She did very well at the JGPF where the girls that placed ahead of her all landed 6 clean triples in the FS, more than most of the competition at Euros can be counted to land. Laura won last year with 4 triples and I think Ksenia is a better overall skater and has a 3-3 and is likely to land 6 triples.

Oh and Ksenia Makarova just won Russian nationals, beating Alena Leonova, and her score was 178. That's 11 points higher than Laura's gold medal score of 167 at Euros last year. I don't know if Russian Nationals scores are inflated like they are in the US, but I think Ksenia has a very good shot at making the podium at Euros.
    Last edited by Ptichka; 12-25-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Custom Title
    Why does everyone think Lepisto will definitely medal? I know she's reigning champ but she's been doubling most of her jumps this season, usually landing only 3 clean triples in the long program. Sometimes she will land 4 triples but is that really worthy of a medal?
    IMO, Lepisto is not the strongest skater, but usually she is clean and that could be a point on her side if the others mess up, due to nerves...
    then she's defending champion and she's won her nats, so I give her a chance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_4Ever View Post
    IMO, Lepisto is not the strongest skater, but usually she is clean and that could be a point on her side if the others mess up, due to nerves...
    then she's defending champion and she's won her nats, so I give her a chance
    Laura just one Finnish nationals with ONE triple (3loop) in the FS, her SP was really good though, anyhow her score was 167. That is inflated because it is nationals. I expect Ksenia Makarova will beat her at Euros unless Laura can do a FS with 5 clean triples. I think the last time she did that was worlds.

Custom Title
    I still think this one is Leonova's competition, barring a shocking good performance from Kostner or possibly Meier.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissx3 View Post
    I still think this one is Leonova's competition, barring a shocking good performance from Kostner or possibly Meier.
    Meier is injured, so I don't think that will happen. I love Carolina's programs this year but there's no way of knowing how she will do, it's different at every competition.

I predict the podium at Euros will be: Leonova, Makarova, Kostner in whichever order.

Kostner has a good reputation and good PCS even if the jumps aren't really there they won't let her fall too low.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Kostner has a good reputation and good PCS even if the jumps aren't really there they won't let her fall too low.
    And sometimes it feels unfair like in Worlds 2009. Her PCS were way too high.

My suggestions for the podium are (not in order):

Lepistö
    Korpi
    Leonova
    Meier
    Kostner

Personally I don't like the style of Leonova. She is too hasty and "sporty" - don't misunderstand me, I know this is sport, but for me figure skating is also peace of art and I don't get that feeling from Leonova's programs (I didn't like Slutskaya style either...)

Custom Title
    Top6 - Top10

Ksenia MAKAROVA (RUS)
    Alena LEONOVA (RUS)
    Valentina MARCHEI (ITA)
    Carolina KOSTNER (ITA)
    Sarah MEIER (SUI)
    Laura LEPISTÖ (FIN)
    Kiira KORPI (FIN)
    Susanna PÖYKIÖ (FIN)
    Julia SEBESTYEN (HUN)
    Elena GLEBOVA (EST)

Custom Title
    Top 10 Top 5

Ksenia Makarova
    Alena Leonova
    Kiira Korpi
    Laura Lepisto
    Julia Sebestyen
    Carolina Kostner
    Elena Glebova
    Elene Gedevanishvilli
    Sarah Meier
    Valentina Marchei

I don't think Polykio will make it, she's been doing mostly doubles all season and still is suffering from her shin splints. I never know what to expect from Elene G but when she's on she's very good.

Custom Title
    Gedevanishvili has no flip and no loop, but has a 3T+3T combination. If she will do clean programs, she can be in top10 or top5 too.

End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Wow, not a lot of ppl are interested in betting for men despite the return of two giants..
    There is my prediction in the picture below. Just changes places of Lambiel and Joubert..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast