U.S. Men: Who is on the Olympic Team? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

U.S. Men: Who is on the Olympic Team?

herios

Medalist
Some of the posts in this thread amuse me greatly. All season long Weir has been consistently beating Abbott, yet some folks go on as if Abbott is a lock and Weir is likely to get the shaft. Ooooookay....if you say so.

Your post is even more amusing to me when you speak about "all season long":rofl:

That means one competition isn't it?
Jeremy's PCS marks are beating Johnny's hands down and rightfully so, from the speed, going into how he interprets his music, connecting moves, performance level, Jeremy surpassed Johhny in almost every aspect. He has more than a triple cushion over Johhny, that is the reality, like it or not. Of course that doesn't mean Jeremy will skate cleaner and beat Johnny, but he has the potential to beat him more than Johnny has.

As far as Jeremy's "usual bombing" habit mentioned by another poster, it happened once only this season, out of 6 appearances. Another great exageration.

Last edited:

taylorfax

On the Ice
but he has the potential to beat him more than Johnny has.
You really wanna go into potential? :rolleye:

I haven't seen Johnny skate up to his potential yet this season either.
But the fact is, after Nationals last year he has picked it up and improved with every competition.

I also see great potential for Jeremy not skating up to his potential. (See post-Nationals performances at major international events for reference.)

But I guess I'm looking more at reality and less potential.

Also, imo, codewhoring does not necessarily make for better skating. ;)

herios

Medalist
You really wanna go into potential? :rolleye:

I haven't seen Johnny skate up to his potential yet this season either.
But the fact is, after Nationals last year he has picked it up and improved with every competition.

I also see great potential for Jeremy not skating up to his potential. (See post-Nationals performances at major international events for reference.)

But I guess I'm looking more at reality and less potential.

Also, imo, codewhoring does not necessarily make for better skating. ;)

"codewhoring" as you say actually translates into better skater. Jumps are higher and faster, more difficult entries in and better flow out, and connecting into moves rght away is exactly what skating skills are all about. Deeper edges equals faster speed, interpreting with all your body the music, etc everything adds up and is pointing to a better skater. You may argue with me all you want.

Jeremy skates BIG, Johnny, not so much. Sorry. I personally am dissapointed by Johnny's programs. He better skates clean.

taylorfax

On the Ice
"codewhoring" as you say actually translates into better skater. ... interpreting with all your body the music, etc everything adds up and is pointing to a better skater. You may argue with me all you want.

Jeremy skates BIG, Johnny, not so much.
I was trying to illustrate the ridiculousness of judging based on potential.
And let's not even get into the PCS and what you or somebody thinks is rightful or deserved. As long as there's an artistic mark it will always be subjective. That little interpreting the music thing you mention, though? I'm not over the moon for Jeremy's style of skating. I'd take Johnny's artistry any day. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
both Jeremy and Johnny are going to have to just remember to skate and trust their muscle memory and not try to force perfection. when they do that, they bomb... both want those spots on teh team...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´d expect Lysacek to be on the Olympic team, but the two other places are wide open, in my opinion. As always a lot depends on the nerves, it is not just the yearly US Nationals, but the competition where one wins a place for the Olympics or not. Both Weir and Abbott do not seem to be mentally really strong, so it may be that one of the younger skaters will get one place.

inside edge

On the Ice
^^ You're right; Weir has been pretty steady, Abbott not so steady; though he outskated Weir in the LP at the GPF and some feel he should have placed ahead of Weir overall. Nevermind that, if Jeremy skates clean in both SP and LP I think he's very capable of beating a clean Johnny. But you're right; neither Jeremy or Weir are a lock right now. Johnny has made a good case for himself placing third at the GPF.

:yes:

doug_log

On the Ice
Everyone feels that EL is a lock, and that 2 spots are up for grabs. Unfortunately, I agree.

Despite its disdain for Weir and Abbott's inconsistency, the USFSA would be foolish to put anyone other than Weir, Abbott, and Lysacek (blah, but the judges love 'em, so...must be the nipples :)) on the team. If any other country had these three skaters, it would be a foregone conclusion that all three would be on the team. The USFSA's use of nationals as the be-all-end-all qualifying event (save for injuries) is silly. Czisny should NOT have been at Worlds last year. Nor should she have won nationals. Nice girl. Nice skating. But no. Had Caroline gone, we would have had 3 spots for women.

While Worlds 2009 worked out for the US men (just barely), I still do not know how they could have left Johnny off the team. Reigning World and GPF bronze medalist replaced by Mroz? Sorry, Brandon. You skated well, but, really? I think there was some unfortunate politicking going on, there. Yes, Johnny BOMBED, but he had proven himself on the world stage.

Rippon is great, but it's not his time. I'll admit that Bradley is the wild card, but I just think too much is at stake. Clean or not, 2 quads or 4, Bradley will NEVER medal at the Olympics. The other three men all have a chance to medal.

Imagine an American sweep! I don't think it's going to happen, but with Lambiel, Plushenko, and Joubert injured...it's possible. I wouldn't be shocked to see 2 American flags flying during the medal ceremony. Oda adds a fourth combination, Chan succumbs to the pressure, Verner does his normal thing, and Takahashi pulls a GPF...These are all very possible scenarios. The chances of all of them happening are slim, but, c'mon, guys! (Sorry to sound so pro-American. Really, I'm terribly non-patriotic. I just think the US men are the best in the world, hands down. Ok, the Japanese are wonderful, too.)

I agree with Doris 100%: "Typically, USFS has only played games with the 3rd place finisher at Nationals, and they don't do it very often, even then." This makes me nervous. With Evan sure to place in the top 3, I could see USFSA being content with the world champion on the team and then sending whoever else makes the cut that night. I understand USFSA's reliance on the top 3-rule, but it could allow for some foolish choices.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think the US men's team is strong enough to sweep teh podium, unless the entire field bombs... which I hope doesn't happen.

herios

Medalist
I was trying to illustrate the ridiculousness of judging based on potential.
And let's not even get into the PCS and what you or somebody thinks is rightful or deserved. As long as there's an artistic mark it will always be subjective. That little interpreting the music thing you mention, though? I'm not over the moon for Jeremy's style of skating. I'd take Johnny's artistry any day. :)

I will leave Johnny for you, his artistry leaves me indifferent. And skates SLOW. End of story.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think Jeremey is any faster than Johnny is... I've seen both skate LIVE on a night when they were on...

tilak

On the Ice
I don't think Jeremey is any faster than Johnny is... I've seen both skate LIVE on a night when they were on...

I agree with that. And I was agree that Johnny hasn't skated up to his potential yet this season either.

jennylovskt

Medalist
The USFSA's use of nationals as the be-all-end-all qualifying event (save for injuries) is silly.

I think so too.

Imagine an American sweep! I don't think it's going to happen, but with Lambiel, Plushenko, and Joubert injured...it's possible.

Have a sweet dream!;)

I agree with that. And I was agree that Johnny hasn't skated up to his potential yet this season either.

We've said it ever since probably 2005. He may never skate up to his potential.

skatehampton

Spectator
the edge

Hmmm. well you know it will be evan and possibly either jeremy or johnny. johnny's problem is that he skates like na 1950s act from the ice capades...all butterflyish. I am hoping for ryan bradley. he is inconsistent but reminds me of scott hamilton/kirk browning because he is an entertainer and like rudy the crowds love him. remember both michael weiss was well past his prime and went to the olympics anyway--he always fell-couldn't do stress just like todd eldridge..maybe evan doesn't smile much but he is certainly the U>S's best hope