Japanese Nationals (senior) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals (senior)

Medusa

Record Breaker
I like Daisuke. Had several banners with him etc.

But I don't think he is the best thing since sliced bread. He actually lacks in lots of departments, other skaters get crucified for problems in those departments. E.g. the jump layout this year just makes me go all "Huh?". He starts his program like Plushenko and Joubert (Quad, Axel etc.), just skating from jump to jump and overall doesn't really has many transitions to speak of. While his spins can be decent, they are often shaky, his sitspin especially.

His basic skating is very good, though even there he has guys in his country alone, who have better skating skills. And the footwork is of course his calling card. But just like Joubert and Plushenko, he is skating to the judges and the audience, relying heavily on his charm and personality.

So I think, even if he goes clean with 8 Triples and 1 Quad, he could still be beaten by a guy like Abbott, with the same jumps but an infinitely more complex program. Or by Plushenko and Joubert, if they go out there and land their stuff, including two Quads and two Triple Axels.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont know about Joubert but Plush seems to be struggling at this phase, to have 2 quads and 2 3axels seems unrealistic right now, and I enjoyed Taka's program a lot. But i agree he is not the 8th wonder and most people seem to not look at his weakness. I still like his sp much more than his lp.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I dont know about Joubert but Plush seems to be struggling at this phase, to have 2 quads and 2 3axels seems unrealistic right now, and I enjoyed Taka's program a lot. But i agree he is not the 8th wonder and most people seem to not look at his weakness. I still like his sp much more than his lp.
Plushy is a fighter par excellence, he had a bad day today and still put down one Quad and two Triple Axels, one of them at the end of the program. He also got nerves of steel, in contrast to a certain Frenchman (the sad thing is that Joubert is nevertheless the most consistent and mentally strongest male skater France has ever had).

Daisuke is an excellent, amazing showman. Especially this year he sells the hell out of his programs. But as so many people love to say on these boards if we talk about other skaters: the Olympic Gold should not be given for showmanship, but for transitions, intricacy, edging...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Congrats to Daisuke. What a great comeback story. Nice skates by all three guys, they will make one formidable olympic team. I agree that If Dau skates clean at the olympics the gold is his. I had been worried about his ability to skate a clean LP but he seems to be getting stronger.

terpskate4ever

Rinkside
But i agree he is not the 8th wonder

Isn't Plush the current 8th wonder in the field if we take into account total career achievements? :p

Anyways, I'm just happy to finally see Daisuke achieve some nice results after the difficult year away with the injury and after a somewhat disappointing Grand Prix season. He's not back 100% yet but it's good to see him making progress.

And congrats to the other medalists.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
So.. who goes to 4CC ??? Machida, Nanri and Nakamura?? Hanyu can't go cause he's too young. Perhaps Kozuka will want to go since he doesnt have much of a shot at Vancouver podium and would like to get your usual generous 4CC score plus ranking points.

ks777

Record Breaker
Hanyu landed two 3 axels, one in combination with 3toe-2toe but he doubled the loop and one of the lutzes.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Hanyu landed two 3 axels, one in combination with 3toe-2toe but he doubled the loop and one of the lutzes.

Thanks! :) Are there any sites that have his long program up? I have been checking youtube and nothing so far.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Are there any sites that have his long program up? I have been checking youtube and nothing so far.
Someone at the arena said that Hanyu's FS wasn't filmed by Fuji TV so we'll have to wait and see if any fan videos shot from the stands show up online eventually...

Top 4 Men's FS videos:

Takahashi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps2w3cFudxk

Oda: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL6uXSFiteM

Kozuka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qngRz1E7CQM

Machida: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJiid1V4oQ

Last edited:

gracefulswan

On the Ice
Wow, that long program is officially my favorite this season. Beautifully done and he'll be hard to beat if he hits, no matter what Chan does, imho.

It'll be interesting to see how high the quads will be scored in the sp... as we all know Plush and Joubert plan to do. They could be in the lead afterwards. I'm wondering now if Lysacek will take the risk? But I don't think so.... Oh, maybe Lambiel will try one?