Thread: 2010 Grand Prix Final Location Announcement

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar

2010 Grand Prix Final Location Announcement

From the ISU website:

The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2010 (season 2010/11), junior and senior combined has been allotted to the Chinese Skating Association to be held in Beijing on December 9-12, 2010.
    It seems almost ALL of the major events are being (provisionally) held in Asia next season. The final is in China, 4 Continents will be in Taipei City, Chinese Taipei, World Juniors in Gangneung City, Korea and Worlds in Nagano, Japan. Very interesting as skating is so popular in Asia right now! With all of the long distance travel, I could expect a lot of jet lagged skaters from the rest of the world having rough performances at these events potentially. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    ...4 Continents will be in Taipei City, Chinese Taipei...
    This is the most interesting one to me. I barely knew that Taipei was even in the ISU, much less with sufficient clout/income-generatimg potential to secure a major ISU competiton.

But I just looked up the ISU roster of senior skaters from each country. Taipei has 22 ladies listed, compared to only 13 for China!

The other interesting thing is that only one of the 22 ladies representing Taipei has a Chinese given name (Chaochin Liu). Almost all of the skaters for this country are Americans.

Custom Title
    Chaochi Liu used to skate in US Regionals. So she's just as "American" as many of the other ladies.

BTW, Jane Ruan is another skater who used to skate in US club competitions. She's now representing China (not TPE) as Zhenni Ruan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    From the ISU website:

It seems almost ALL of the major events are being (provisionally) held in Asia next season. The final is in China, 4 Continents will be in Taipei City, Chinese Taipei, World Juniors in Gangneung City, Korea and Worlds in Nagano, Japan. Very interesting as skating is so popular in Asia right now! With all of the long distance travel, I could expect a lot of jet lagged skaters from the rest of the world having rough performances at these events potentially. What do you think?
    I think the possibility of me getting tickets and being able to travel to 1-2 of these events is fantastic!!!

As far as the skaters go, GPF affects fewer skaters and any US/Canadian skaters probably have enough time between GPF and their Nationals. European skaters might see more conflicts depending on timing of their countries' Nationals. World Jrs and Worlds are towards the end of the season and with no Olympics, shouldn't be too much of problem. Four Continents is the big question--I could see where many of the non-Asia-training-based skaters selected for Worlds and WJrs won't want to skate at 4CC, more for loss of training time/continuity than the travel itself.

In the past, we've managed to see some fine performances in Asia at these competitions, by non-Asia based skaters, so travelling + good performance is not mutually exclusive combination. As a veteran of probably a million miles of long haul transpacific flights over the last decades, the travel itself is a little tiring and jet-leg is a problem for some, but to me the biggest potential downsides are:
    1) avoiding getting sick during or because of the travel (not tummy sick, but respiratory sick--Asia in winter is not the healthiest of breathing)
    2) losing training time

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    I think the possibility of me getting tickets and being able to travel to 1-2 of these events is fantastic!!!

As far as the skaters go, GPF affects fewer skaters and any US/Canadian skaters probably have enough time between GPF and their Nationals. European skaters might see more conflicts depending on timing of their countries' Nationals. World Jrs and Worlds are towards the end of the season and with no Olympics, shouldn't be too much of problem. Four Continents is the big question--I could see where many of the non-Asia-training-based skaters selected for Worlds and WJrs won't want to skate at 4CC, more for loss of training time/continuity than the travel itself.

In the past, we've managed to see some fine performances in Asia at these competitions, by non-Asia based skaters, so travelling + good performance is not mutually exclusive combination. As a veteran of probably a million miles of long haul transpacific flights over the last decades, the travel itself is a little tiring and jet-leg is a problem for some, but to me the biggest potential downsides are:
    1) avoiding getting sick during or because of the travel (not tummy sick, but respiratory sick--Asia in winter is not the healthiest of breathing)
    2) losing training time
    Lots of great insight! The loss of training time is a very real concern that I agree could play a major role in skaters deciding which events they will and won't do.

Custom Title
    Hmm I think it would be nice if the ISU gave the ISU final to countries without a GP event. Share the love a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by berrycute View Post
    Hmm I think it would be nice if the ISU gave the ISU final to countries without a GP event. Share the love a bit!
    Are you suggesting a GPF in London?

^^ it's the same problem with US Nationals... some cities/states have been told that there's no chance at all they will ever get it (yes I'm talking Alaska)... so to them.

makes sense to have the big events where ticket sales and tv ratings will soar!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    I want!!!! I would love to go to more skating events.. I wish the GPF would be in Europe for a change... At least Worlds this year is Europe and the next Olympics are in Europe as well.

Medalist
    Beijing should freeze the pool in the "water cube" and call it the "ice cube":

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2..._7072523_2.htm

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    Well that would be nice! The trouble I am going to to get to Tallinn for Euros alone makes me pine for a good event here in the UK. At least the Euros are coming to Sheffield soon